Boss MO-2 Multi Overtone: who’s got it?

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
boss-mo-2-multi-overtone-2-61o0D57.jpg

Who has the Boss MO-2 in here? I’ve been GASing for one and just got mine in the mail. It really is a new effect and sound. It’s a mix of chorus, octave , and harmonizer if I try and pick it apart.

The sounds you get are reminiscent of organs, sympathetic strings, and some synths stuff when dialed up with high gain. I’ve been having a bunch of fun! Reined in, you get some beautiful overtones to add richness and eeriness to chords. With gain, you can make leads jump out or go full synth/organ and grind out single note riffs. You can even do complex jazz chords and it can still track but I find you get the most out of it if you can hit the strings all at once.

What kind of settings does everyone use? My favorite so far is using Mode 3 on the deep setting with balance and tone dialed back, detune at middle and I add in a deep chorus from my CE5 and hall reverb. You get a haunting low overtone following your arpeggios :cool:

TeleCarlos

Tele-Meister
Does this does detunes a few cents up or down and splits in stereo? Maybe knowing what it does would help me understand or figure how it can be used.

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
Does this does detunes a few cents up or down and splits in stereo? Maybe knowing what it does would help me understand or figure how it can be used.

The wet signal has the overtones and the detune. I can't tell if it's detune or chorus exactly and it's a little different on each mode. The overtones can be sub octave up or down and there's some other overtones that are hard to pin. I like it for the creativity boost and getting new sounds I haven't heard from my guitar. The overtones make certain riffs jump out. You just gotta play around with it!

I wonder what one of these would sound like with a RotoVibe or other Leslie-like effect. Heard a clip of this pedal--sounds cool.

I set up my Boss CE-5 for a Leslie-ish sound and it's pretty cool together. The detune function can increase speed and intensity but can get a little to warbly for a leslie effect. It sounds pretty cool in tandem! I was using my tremolo and backing off the detune for a Fender Rhodes kind of vibrato sound. If you're going for electronic sounds, it helps to pick with your fingers or have a compressor to soften the attack.