Teletropy

TDPRI Member
Hi y’all,

Picked up a used Boss ME-80 a few months ago, all seemed fine until a few weeks ago I noticed that at some settings, the sound wasn’t very good, a lot of hiss. Then one day, while playing, I had a big blowout with a horrible sounding static/squawk sound. Went back to playing just the amp for awhile just to make sure there wasn’t a problem there.

Today I’m realizing it’s definitely the pedalboard. When I turn it on, I get a crackling static. No playable signal from the guitar. Pushing some pedals changes the kind of static, but still no signal. I tried doing a factory reset to no avail.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anybody else?

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
i don't know for sure, but does it have a ac/ac adapter?
if yes, than the convetion to dc is in the pedal itself,
digitech GNX devices had the problem that the diodes to change the AC to DC went bad.
in my case with the GNX i could fix that

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Yep. Check PSU is correct.

If you are handy, id open it up, see if there is a loose connection of an audio socket or power socket or anything else obvious.

I’ve done similar maintainance to old fx units from the 80’s where the sockets came loose from the PCB and did similar.

Teletropy

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the replies.
Opened up the back of the case (fyi: no need to undo the screws around the battery hatch).
Don't see anything unplugged, loose, fried, etc. This is a photo of the power supply input jack on the right to the main board. Not sure which would be the AC/DC diodes, but this is what we've got in there.
Just for fun, I tried to play it with battery power only, AC power unplugged. Same noise.

boss me80 card.jpg

Teletropy

TDPRI Member
Okay, I've tried a few more things:
-Replaced batteries
-Checked for voltage from AC adapter, which is good
-tried different cord to plug in
-listening through headphones

Still, I'm getting heavy, glitchy static, even with the guitar volume knob all the way down

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
i don't see some power caps on the picture, i think it will be on the other board underneath.
and the ac/dc diodes on the GNX did not look bad , but they were

december

TDPRI Member
I just received a used ME-80 I bought from MF. The expression pedal falls flat when you let go. Is it supposed to do this or is it worn out? I'd rather buy a new one if this is not it's default behavior.
I have a Digitech multi-FX pedal and when you press the heel of the exp pedal down, it stays down when you let go, but the Boss pedal falls back to toe-down position when you let go.
So: on a NEW ME-80, would the pedal do the same, or would it stay heel-down when you let go?
It wouldn't be the first time MF/GC sold me defective/damaged gear. They've sold me 3 very back-bowed guitars! (1 electric used, 1 elec bass new, & 1 acoustic bass new)
I would really appreciate getting feedback on this before my return window is over. If the pedal is shot I will return it & buy a new one from a different retailer.
Thank you!
DECEMBERmusic.org