1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss ME-80 club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by shanghaitele, Apr 13, 2014.

1. 80sR0cker

80sR0cker NEW MEMBER!

Anyone?

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Found one of those on the CL about 10yrs ago.

A week or two later I found this brick.
    [​IMG]

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I traded my ME-80 away. I really liked it but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I hope to find another one someday.

I still have an ME-70, which is more "jam friendly" due to its smaller size, but the ME-80 definitely has better amp models and superior reverbs.

I have compared all three ME units side by side, the ME-50, ME-70, and ME-80, and each successive version contains improvements over the previous models.

Each model does have a slight learning curve, so if you're used to an older model, it may take some tweaking to get the sounds you're used to.

But claims that the older ones are better are a combination of ignorance, tone deafness, malarkey, cork sniffery, and hog wash... IMHO.

However, I did find that when comparing the "Combo" setting in the preamp section to the "Combo Drive" standalone pedal BC-2, the pedal is slightly smoother, and less grainy sounding.

However, the Tera Echo inside the ME-80 sounds just as good to my ears as the standalone TE-2.

The Adaptive Distortion onboard the ME-80 seemed a bit more finicky than the standalone DA-2 pedal too, but very similar.

In some ways, the ME-80 is the logical culmination of a way of thinking about guitar effects.

New "virtual effects" that exist inside the software seem to be the way of the future.

Lots of younger players seem to be moving towards Fractal and similar solutions with virtual interfaces instead of hard wired knobs.

I'm not sure how much of that is marketing, how much is just trendy, and how much is an actual shift in the way the technology is used.

For myself, at age 53, the ME-80 does everything that I could have imagined guitar effects doing when I was 17... And then some.

We are getting the point where some of the up and coming players had iPads as toddlers, and they interact with digital gear differently from the people in my generation.

It will be interesting to hear what the younger generation of musicians do with the next generation of tone shaping tools.

dotpc likes this.
  4. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

I am looking forward to the ME-800 (or whatever they call it)!

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. dezmoduo

dezmoduo Tele-Meister

I transitioned from ME50 to the 80 recently. I'm running into Tech 21 PE-60.
    The last gig I did got me dialed very close to where I wanna be with it live.

BTW, the i/8" dummy plug in the headphone/record out is a must. Without it theres no cabinet emulation and the sound suffers. If you going into the front end of your amp, you can compensate with your amps tone stack but going into a power amp or powered monitor, you must activate the cab sim.

I am probably going to do a "Mod" on the ME80
    There isn't a great deal of storage for users. Once you have a sound for a style or song saved, your only options are another saved sound (another storage spot taken, or using the CTL setting to activate/deactivate the modules you "pre select". And that's not bad, but I feel I want more flexibility.

SO

I noticed that once my "sound" was stored, when you manually engage the EDIT button, your able to mess with any and all of the modules at will, in/out- on/off. Not surprisingly the EXIT button gets you back to home base. NEAT-O.

I've been inside the ME50 many times for repair, replacement and stuff. I have to imagine that the construction (like a tank), is similar with the ME80.

MY PLAN is to get access to the PC board, find the button for the Edit/Exit and apply a momentary switch and trigger the function manually. I feel confident that it's all momentary, normally open control. Once that is confirmed, I will solder some 2 conductor with shield coax to a 1/4" stereo jack drilled through the jack panel. Looks like plenty of real estate.

The result should allow me to pick my basic pre-amp sound, clean, combo, etc, with the preferred gain for a style or song. Engaging the edit function by foot-switch, I'll then be able to select Comp,OD,Delay, and so forth, individually or all together or any combination the song requires, without taking up more user slots.

A really special song dependent sound will still need a user slot, but theres plenty in the set list thats just basic tone, some chorus or delay, a boost or OD for a solo section and then back to the basic sound. It's how I used my ME50, never really saved any sounds and I wound up wearing out the volume pot. I replaced it. (I have about 15 of these little pots if anyone is in need!!) LOL. Minimum orders are a *****.

I can have a harmony bank with a 3rd up and a 3rd down, all set, and once I hit EDIT, I just have to select the key.

So it seems that my basic amp sound is the foundation. The EQ gives me a boost while still keeping the character of the sound, and after that it's foot pedal dancing.

I have had to make a user chart, until I narrow down my needs totally. Just what I need a cheat sheet on stage but eventually It'll be like old home week.

Nothing happens quickly here between gigs, my GF, and helping my son with his first house, but I'll get the ME80 on the bench one afternoon and get 'er done.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  6. sid9170

sid9170 TDPRI Member

Hey Dezmoduo,
    You probably already know this, but here it is anyway. There is a global setting (pg 12 of manual) that controls what happens when you switch from memory mode to manual mode. It can either; 1) default to actual knob positions reflecting the sound, or 2) the sound stays with the stored settings from that memory slot, thus pretty much enabling how you want to control things. Kind of a cool feature. On my old ME-70 there is just edit button ( no exit button) and pressing it cycles between mem mode and edit mode. I used a certain peg board hook to dummy rig a crude foot switch to press the edit button, and that enabled me to bring individual effects in and out while in Memory mode.

7. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

How does the single coil to humbucker option sound, can it be used with compression at the same time (both on the same dial option), anyone have a comparison wit the Seymour Duncan pick up booster ?
    Also is the 'Solo' option a boost function ?

8. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I just ordered a ME 80 yesterday from Sweetwater...with all the great messages about it ...I have to have one...I can't wait to try it...thanks guys!

9. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Waiting for delivery today...I hope....and was wondering if anybody has used the power supply from a regular Boss pedal for the ME 80..or do I have to order the EXPENSIVE Boss AC adapter...??

10. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Tele-Meister

Hi, I am a bit late to the game, but I bought a used ME-80 last week. Basically bought it because we play a lot of cover songs and I need to switch 2 or more effects at once. I decided to go for the ME-80 because of the Manual/Patch feature where the settings stay and I can turn the effects indvidually on and off.

In the last few days i spend a few hours for dialing in tones. I use a Fender Super Sonic 22. I found that none of the preamp models is usable for an overdriven tone. In fact the only usable lead tones come from the Turbo-OD and the Fuzz. I thought about using my amps gain channel (which I want the ME-80 to sound like) but thats not the point of buying a multieffects pedal. When I want to switch from Clean/Tremolo/Delay to Overdrive/Dry I want to press one switch.

Do you find good lead tones on the ME-80?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.