Boss Katana or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love Both Volume and Master Knob

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by sirnobrain, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Isn't the bottom line how good the tone is? I could really care less about all this "behaves like ss". That is an old tired argument. Tone imo IS what is important. So let's just talk about the final transducer in the tone chain, the speaker, driven by the Katana, how good is that tone?

But what is good amp tone? Some here would say my Kat tone doesn't sound like tubes, but does it matter if the amp's tone is very nice and complimentary the guitar?

It has a nice flavor of a warm Fender Princeton meets Vox AC30 meets Fender Deluxe meets ASAT Special.

Nothing solid state about this tone, based on what solid state has sounded like. And nothing '90s modeling tone either. Boss just got it right and right is enough for me to love it.

2. sirnobrain

sirnobrain TDPRI Member

i'm not looking for SS style clipping in particular. I'm just looking for any clipping or compression (as i read from a lot threads in a lot of forum). I just want to make it clear with this little silly experiment that it won't happen with Katana.

I did. Reading the manual is the first thing i do almost everytime i got anything that comes with a manual xD (reading docs is part of my daily job, really. lol)

Reading threads about katana in a lot of forums was what got me confused and did that silly experiment.

... or if you can't find one after turning a lot of knob, try turning it off and sell it!

I'm not trying to find a sound, just want to experiment on what a lot of people have been saying in a lot of discussions about this amp.

But, that's a great advice for anyone! Thank you :)

I did several run through my 2x12 at every power control settings. Sometimes it won't be too far from a stage volume i believe, despite it being in my bedroom and not a stage. Got my ear ringing for a period of time. Cured by listening to a sweep 20-20khz sound through my headphones.

Agree. Doesn't matter what the gears are, if it's a good sound to you, it's a good sound for you. Everyone hears differently and that has been proven scientifically.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.