1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss Katana or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love Both Volume and Master Knob

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by sirnobrain, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Isn't the bottom line how good the tone is? I could really care less about all this "behaves like ss". That is an old tired argument. Tone imo IS what is important. So let's just talk about the final transducer in the tone chain, the speaker, driven by the Katana, how good is that tone?

But what is good amp tone? Some here would say my Kat tone doesn't sound like tubes, but does it matter if the amp's tone is very nice and complimentary the guitar?

It has a nice flavor of a warm Fender Princeton meets Vox AC30 meets Fender Deluxe meets ASAT Special.

Nothing solid state about this tone, based on what solid state has sounded like. And nothing '90s modeling tone either. Boss just got it right and right is enough for me to love it.

Bobbyoso and beagle like this.
  2. sirnobrain

sirnobrain TDPRI Member

i'm not looking for SS style clipping in particular. I'm just looking for any clipping or compression (as i read from a lot threads in a lot of forum). I just want to make it clear with this little silly experiment that it won't happen with Katana.

I did. Reading the manual is the first thing i do almost everytime i got anything that comes with a manual xD (reading docs is part of my daily job, really. lol)

Reading threads about katana in a lot of forums was what got me confused and did that silly experiment.

... or if you can't find one after turning a lot of knob, try turning it off and sell it!

I'm not trying to find a sound, just want to experiment on what a lot of people have been saying in a lot of discussions about this amp.

But, that's a great advice for anyone! Thank you :)

I did several run through my 2x12 at every power control settings. Sometimes it won't be too far from a stage volume i believe, despite it being in my bedroom and not a stage. Got my ear ringing for a period of time. Cured by listening to a sweep 20-20khz sound through my headphones.

Agree. Doesn't matter what the gears are, if it's a good sound to you, it's a good sound for you. Everyone hears differently and that has been proven scientifically.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

To me, the disadvantage of running the master pegged and using the channel volume is this: In gigging situations, you have NOWHERE to go if you need more or less amp volume unless you adjust the channel volume. (Remember, according to the "pegged master" theory, for sake of tone, it needs to stay pegged so you can't turn it down from there either) That's fine if you're not using any stored patches and just running the amp as a pedal platform. But if you're using preset patches, you have to remember that the channel volume setting is stored within your patches along with all other settings. So if you change the channel volume level on a patch for a gig you will need to store it or every time you change patches and come back it will go back to your default setting. To me, that's a big PITA!!! That's the point of the master volume....overall volume control of the amp as a whole. Once your preset patches are where you want them, you shouldn't have to mess with them unless you want to. Just use the master for volume levels.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I don't compare my Kat to tube amps because it isn't. Tube amps don't matter any more when I dial in a tone. The Kat can stand on it's own tonewise.

I'm more influenced by copping artist tones, like how well I could dial in an excellent pallet of SRV tones the best I've heard out of any digital amp, and then how just a 3 eq knob turn puts me in a garden of Peter Green tones. I mean the whole character changes and it's the best Greenie I've ever heard from any amp I've owned. And about 3 more minor eq knob turns and a great Robben Ford tone comes into focus. And Dave Fruschiante (sic) has the weirdest adjustments, zero gain, zero bass mids and treble and the green od on to taste. Sounds like RHCP enough that the rest is up to me =0

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

I love everything you wrote here, except the “Dave Fruschiante” slip-up, as im admittedly a Johns frusciante fanboy. Let’s pretend this was intentional and that you were going for an in between RHCP with elements of both Dave Navarro and Johnny’s sound.

I’m also a fellow Greenie fanatic though, and while I don’t have a humbucker guitar to swim in that pond, my tele can get close. Cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.