Boss Katana- Help please

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Sep 19, 2020.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I've had my Katana 50 MK1 for a couple of months now. I just use the panel for all of my setting. I can get some pretty good tones from it, but I'm still confused about Gain vs Boost vs the high gain amp models.

If I use the Lead or Brown models, I pretty much have to turn gain to zero to prevent chords from sounding like a wall of fuzz. Forget adding OD or the Blues Driver to either of these models. I have to use the Clean channel to use the boost drivers. Do I use clean plus a driver, crunch plus gain, or brown with 0 gain? Just confused. :confused:

2. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Turn knobs till ya find what sounds good to YOU. Get to know the amp. Try different combinations, Guit vol low/Master high. Too much gain in other than clean? Reduce the guitar volume. I have mine nearly off with the vol/master cranked sometimes.. The boost/mod? Boost pumps up the volume. I don't like it tho.Least how it sounds.

1 21 gigawatts and rangercaster like this.
  3. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Rob Chapman has a good video on YouTube with his settings

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I am not a fan of these personally but my bandmate has that model. He is not a big tweaker or tone freak. But he downloaded the latest firmware upgrade and it very much improved it. He can get some nice clean tones, some nice ambient choruses and flanges from it. He's got them lined up for live use on the footswitch. Works well.

It does not alter the need to tweak everything. All of the patches are exaggerated. Too much treble, mids or bass, oversaturated reverb. The Tweed and Blackface models aren't bad and the Marshall Plexi model is usable.

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

There are no tweed, blackface or plexi models on the Katana.

amp types.png

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

16005874083521948504901356431922.jpg Find one good clean and one distortion...

Once you dive into all the options, you'll never get out

beagle likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's what he calls them. I know he spent a lot of time dialling.

8. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Crunch is the most tube like channel. What kind of tone do you want? Your OP makes no sense without the context of this.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If you're not hooking up to a computer, start with the channel of choice and the gain at zero and work up from there. As gain goes up, channel volume comes down.

Then as they say, season to taste.

rangercaster likes this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There is really no answer to OP's question. Its not only about what sounds good to you, there are all the variables of your gear and the room you play in. For some people a "wall of fuzz" is exactly what they are trying to achieve! Really you just want one clean and one dirty tone, maybe one in-between.

beagle and rangercaster like this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

I think that they are in the "sneaky amp" patches. You can save a tone using them, but you can't save the amp model to the panel.

12. 1 21 gigawatts

The guitar volume knob might be the missing link. I usually have the bridge volume maxed. I guess that it is just going to take some more experimentation.

My biggest issue tone wise is that I can find a setting that sounds great for picking individual notes, but chords sound terrible. If I clean up the tone for the chords, the individual notes sound too clean. I can't seem to find a happy medium.

13. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I played mine for a year or so before I ever hooked it up to a computer. Have to say, I was very happy with the clean and edge of breakup sounds from the Brown channel on mine, but the sounds from the effects, especially the boosts, significantly improved after I adjusted their EQ’s in the Tone Studio. I also found that there were many other options that I preferred to the drive modes that were preset. The Treble Boost, especially. Plus, then I added the Univibe and a Reverb + Delay. One afternoon tweaking and I have more than I’ll need now with essentially no need to plug the computer back in. Download updates, spend a couple hours trying the other effects. Save the EQ you like. Done.

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I like a pretty clean bluesy low to medium gain sound with a Strat or Tele, and the best way to achieve that on my Katana 50 was using the crunch channel with the gain at about 10 o'clock, and then adding the on-board Blues Driver. I have since replaced the Kat 50 with a Katana Mini, Fender Mustang LT25 and Yamaha THR10C, because they all sound fuller and richer at the low volume levels that I play at in my tiny studio apt. The 50 needed more volume to keep from sounding thin and boxy, and then it would start exciting my tinnitus too much, leaving my ears ringing more than usual and feeling muffled after every playing session.
    And, I believe that it's possible to save sneaky amps into the user presets.

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

You were doing it wrong...

16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I know how the Katana works,I've been using one for four years. The sneaky amps patches aren't that great, they were never meant to be used with the amp and need a lot of tweaking.

17. 1 21 gigawatts

I just spent an hour experimenting. Seems that having the guitar volume knob dimed was my problem. I dialed it back to 8, than used the gain to get the single note tone that I wanted. Then played some chords while dialing back the guitar volume until the chords weren't so muddy (about 4). Finally, I adjusted the amp volume to compensate for the lower guitar volume. Finally- a happy medium! Also, just touching the guitar volume knob from this setting gets things raunchy in a hurry.

With the guitar volume down, I was even able to add OD or the Blues Driver without everything turning to mud.

Hey_you likes this.
  18. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

19. 1 21 gigawatts

Played with it for another couple of hours. Now that I dialed back the volume on the guitar, I've been able to play with the drivers. I found a great sound using the Crunch amp and OD-1 driver. The nice thing is that I can go from Jimmy Page to Van Halen by switching to Brown and keeping everything else the same.

Hey_you likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I think you're on the right track in your understanding, 1 21 gigawatts.

Lead, brown and gain are all names for driven tones, so adding "driven" tones to tones that are already driven is going to sound, well, muddy, buzzy and, well, horrible.

To get pleasant sounding "driven" tones, start with a clean tone that's on the border of breakup, then add a boost to drive that tone into OD or Distortion territory. ;)

Abu Twangy and Hey_you like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.