Boss Katana Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by cbh5150, Nov 25, 2016.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

IMG_5821.JPG
    Proud new member. This arrived today. Only had about 20 minutes to mess around on it, mostly on 0.5W. Already really like it, especially the Brown and Lead channels. I had played the 50 quite a bit. Might have bought that if it had a Speaker Out. That was a must for me. Haven't been able to really push the speaker yet, but I've heard good things. And the bigger, more solidly cab definitely appears to be a plus.

It's obviously going to take some time to get to know it - these things can do so much. But I'm looking forward to it. Cheers!

rjp68, Jyrki and beagle like this.
  2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I do have a question about the Artist for those here who know better than me. From what I read in the specs, when connecting to a 16ohm extension cab, the 8ohm output jack (intended for in-built speaker) is disabled. If I want to play through the speaker in the amp and the speakers in the cab, can I plug the in-built speaker into the other 16ohm output jack?

Can’t find anything on the Waza G12w speaker to confirm. Everything I find says 8ohm. Thoughts?

3. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

A question for the experienced Katana users- When you go into System settings you can change the air/feel and cabinet resonance. But looking at various third-party video reviews/tutorials, it's unclear to me whether they are talking about the LINE out, or the HEADPHONES/REC out. Or both?

4. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Just picked up an Artist over the weekend and am enjoying it.

One question about the Tone Studio editor. Is there a way to set a "floor" for a parameter on an effect? Here's what I mean. I'll use a booster pedal effect as an example. The "Booster" knob on the amp is shared with the "Mod" knob, so if you are using the booster, you can only turn the physical knob from 0 to Noon -- if you go past Noon, you disable the boost effect and go into the Mod effect. Let's say I want to crank the drive level to full on the boost effect -- I can do this in the software, but then if I go and adjust the physical knob on the amp, the level jumps back down. So, even if the physical knob is turned all the way up to Noon, the drive level will only be at, say, 65%.

What I'd like to be able to do is set up the effect so that if the physical knob is turned as high as it will go, the drive (or whatever effect parameter) is at 100%. I figured one way to do this would be to set a floor level, so that when the physical knob is turned to it's lowest level above 0, the effect is, say, at 30%. Or another way to do it would to adjust the effect so that turning the physical knob from 0 to Noon will take the effect parameter from 0% to 100%, instead of 0% to 65%.

So far, I can't seem to find a way to do this, but this seems like a pretty basic feature to me -- I don't know why Boss would limit the range of the physical knobs - or if they did, why they wouldn't allow the user to change those settings. So hopefully I'm just missing something!

5. rjp68

rjp68 TDPRI Member

had the 50, sold it bought the 100, then the artist.. both sound awesome, and both have More than adequate power for club work.. Screenshot_2019-03-05-21-30-17.png

6. rjp68

rjp68 TDPRI Member

1550889941462.jpg the artist is a beast of an amp!

7. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

At last... picked up a non-artist 100-112 a month or so ago. Local store in our new town let me play my Tele through the floor model for a half hour or so; I prepped by reading through the manual a couple of times and ordered a NIB through them when I was done. It's the first decent larger-than-practice-size amp I've ever owned, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I bought the 100 over the 50 because of the effects loop (my Ditto sits in there now). It really works best for me sitting next to the computer, so I can tweak things to very fine degrees and then write out to the amp; I doubt I'll ever take it out of my office, but it seems like it would be plenty loud for clubs. Also picked up a GA-FC and an EV-5 to go with it last week, and those have also opened it up a little.

Unreal what $360 buys today.

8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I do not like the knob layout relative to all the internal effects on my Katana 100. The boost/mod combined knob is just an awful idea. I know they made the decision not to have a readout on the thing which is all well and good. The Katana is now under the bench and I'm using an Eleven Rack I got for < $200 along with a Tech21 Trademark 60 I got for $0. I like the Eleven better because it's got a big readout for tweaking and it's actually pretty well thought out.

As far as tones, I am mostly playing clean. The Katana does definitely sound nice. I just don't like having to deal with the computer to set the sound. Also I tried really hard to get the EV-5 to control the reverb return level on the Katana with no luck. I tried the fxFloorboard software and maybe there's a way with that but again it's all getting too complicated and that is not well documented beyond what appears to be obvious.

9. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Can’t argue with that. The Katana and a computer should be considered the complete set and though it seems like you can map the knob to a given parameter for each of the effects, that’s still a little limiting for manual tweaking. Still... given the myriad configuration options... I have little to complain about.

I spent a little while just loading up my basic “patches” and they haven’t required much adjustment beyond that. I do wish the effects weren’t “paired” in the way they are, but for the money... tough to beat and out of the box the disparate amp models sound pretty great to me.

I for sure see the appeal of other approaches like a deep pedalboard, I just couldn’t justify the coin.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in the fold with a 100 1x12.

I foolishly sold it and spent way too much $$ on some toob amps again.

Then I realized that I was doing all kinds of crazy EQ **** to them and my guitar controls to get tones I loved.

With the Katana I just dial it up and forget about it. EZPZ.

Great live tone. I don’t use it as a computer. Don’t know how to do that or seem to need it. Don’t even know what software it has (hopefully the latest, just got from Sweetwater).

Just plug in my board (4 pedals), choose the right volume and grit on the Crunch channel, and go.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    whoanelly15 and dswo like this.
  11. Rick P

Rick P TDPRI Member

Good way to get what you like. Think some make it harder than most need and get upset.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  12. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

My amps are all getting old and need work (unreliable at the moment), and I had two gigs coming up this weekend, so I hastily bought a used Katana 100 last week. I was really just looking for a pedal platform, and it performed quite well in that regard on Friday and Saturday. I've had ZERO time to learn my way around the controls, so I just used the clean channel with pedals in front. I was up and running at rehearsals quickly after a few turns of the eq knobs. Like REALLY quickly. Saturday's gig had just a basic PA for vocals (very small room), so our amps had to provide all their own volume. The Katana 100 was plenty loud! People were telling me to turn down lol. And it's so light! This will be my gigging amp for the time being. I'm confused by the effects controls, but at least the reverb knob is straightforward. Not sure if I'll ever even use the other amp settings or effects, but we'll see. I've learned to never say never, so maybe the onboard effects will replace my pedalboard someday - doubtful, but it could happen. Overall very pleased so far.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

That sums it up: low price, plenty of volume, lightweight, easy to a couple of good sounds.

Jefe likes this.
  14. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I’ve only had my Katana 50 for a few months but I have really enjoyed the videos at justinguitar.com watching him go through and experiment and I picked up quite a few good pointers from him.
    I don’t know if Boss has videos this detailed or not but I haven’t seen them. But if they don’t they should make them with this kind of detail, and more, to show everyone what these amps can really do.

As a side note, I almost always play using the 25 W setting at home and I found that I pretty much turn the volume and master volume to 10 and leave them and adjust the volume using the volume control on my telecaster.

15. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Lef T and oceanblue like this.
  16. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

I just got back in with a 50 MkII, after spending the last two months or so waffling about trying to get a nice tube amp for playing at home :rolleyes:.

This past weekend I went out fully intending to pull the trigger on a Princeton, AC15 or Marshall something. Played through the ‘68 Custom Princeton. Nice. Played through a Marshall Origin 50. Nice. Plugged into the K50 MkII next to it, and IMMEDIATELY remembered what I liked about the Katanas in the first place, and also remembered that I am just not gonna get the potential out of any decent tube amp at home that I will fully realize with the Katana (not to mention spending $400-700 less...). With the savings, I’m gonna get a Tele or something ;).

17. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

New member to this particular club. Brought home a Katana 50 Mk II this evening. I'm very excited about having a solid practice amp that's easy to move around and does it all. This is going to be a great addition!

UPDATE: got up this morning and made time to play. WOW. This is a really fun amp and it's easy. I haven't messed with the advanced features, but just turning the knobs on top gave me everything I wanted. Ran my phone into it for backing tracks and my headphones out so my wife could sleep in. Love it!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    oceanblue and beagle like this.
  18. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve had the Katana 100 for a few months now and have pretty much given up on the software. I love the sound of the amp but don’t care for most of the onboard effects. I also found myself twiddling with the software more than playing the guitar. I’m hoping to pick up a 50 watt model to keep at home so I don’t have to carry my 100 back and forth to church.

19. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It’s funny but I had basically decided to move to a tube amp for church use and bring the 100 watt Katana home. I went to GC to try a few out and they had the 50 watt Katana series 1 on sale for $189. I fell in love all over again with it at the store and decided to stick with it. I got the last one at that price.

20. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Boss Katana Vs. Princeton Reverb

If you are starting out and having a difficult time finding a sound to work with this vid is a fairly good starting point.

I find that by tweaking the Graphic EQ I can really get a sound I like. Get rid of any boomy bass and tame any highs I find offensive.. It is relatively easy. His EQ example is a good starting point.
    FYI the far right slider is a master level not a EQ freq.
    I use these basic setting for my panel settings with a little tweaking for my own guitar and pickups. Easy stuff.

oceanblue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.