1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss Katana 50 NAD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by j5jarod777, Jun 14, 2018.

1. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I've been pondering one of these for a while, and for $150used, I figured what the hell. I got the amp a few days ago, but wanted to mess around with it for a couple of hours before posting. I really enjoy this little amp. It's lightweight, LOUD, and has great low end. I've mainly played on the crunch channel with a little bit of Reverb, and it is a great 70s rock sound. The channel sounds and reacts very similar to my Boss BD2, which also soundsgreatwith this amp. Other than my Vox Wah, it's pretty much a BOSS rig, cheers!
    20180611_201331.jpg

emisilly, beagle, raysachs and 7 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

3. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Love my Katana 100. One of the best amps i've played. it is the best solid state i've played.

DougM and Digital Larry like this.
  4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. I bought mine last Christmas. Same one. 50W. I use it quite a bit at home. It works pretty fine and yes sounds respectable.

5. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Katana 50, best non-valve amp I've played/owned. Enjoy it.

DougM likes this.
  6. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

I love my Katana 100 head. Just traded for a Mojave 2x12 speaker cab. It's perfect for the Katana. Man it's sounds amazing through this new cab. Congrats

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

HNAD!!

I like my Katana 50 SO much, I sold my SuperChamp X2 (and still no regrets)

DougM likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I love mine with the crunch channel set for low gain (about 10 o'clock) with a touch of delay and with a good overdrive pedal in front of it on the 1/2 watt setting where it can approximate a cranked Fender BF tone at very low volume. The best practice amp I've ever owned.
    I've always wondered how the onboard BD2 compares to an actual one. Since you have one maybe you could do a comparison and let us know what you think.

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  9. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

The Katana crunch channel sounds better to my ears than the BD2 run into the clean channel of the amp. But, boosting the crunch channel with my BD2 sounds really, really good.

Hendrixlvr and DougM like this.
  10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

But how does the actual BD2 compare to the onboard one (green booster setting) on the crunch channel with the gain low and the overdrive (actual and virtual) added for more gain?

11. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I'll have to try it and see. I have not used any of the onboard booster's, effects, or delays.

DougM likes this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

You need one of these then.
    https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/boss-announces-v-bdn-vg-strandberg-guitar

[​IMG]
    I got a punked out Katana 100 for $150. I like it a lot, but it still won't make me sell my Super Champ XD. That little amp through a 2X12 cab, has something more than what the Boss can spit out.

Magané.JPG

emisilly likes this.
  13. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

I was at Nudie's Honky Tonk in Nashville Tuesday night and the Tele player there was playing through a Katana. Sounded great!!

14. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Congrats!! I love mine!! I like to use mine on the clean channel, with the 2 presets set on the BD-2 (green) and OD-1 (red) settings respectively. Those tones have ruined other drive pedals for me haha

15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

My secret for Katana bliss is to keep it pretty simple. I have the 100W with 2 banks of 4 presets and I tried to keep them pretty basic. I only use clean and crunch and have increasing gain from patch 1 to 4.

I don't use external pedals at the moment. I just found that slamming a bunch of extra effects into the patches makes it really difficult to remember what's going on or manage it with the GA-FC footswitch.

I suppose those things are always there if you need it for some special purpose but for just day in and day out it's too confusing.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Great amp, I use mine about every day. I also have worked on keeping patching / presets simple. With the 100 version I have 4 basic tones from "acoustic amp" to "cranked Vox" which is about as gainy as I get. I do prefer any dirt boxes to be real ones and not the software, but except for that I"m pretty content to use the built in effects for mods and delay.

17. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've had mine 18 months, it does everything I need. I hope your does for you too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.