1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss GT-3 vs other OD/distortion pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by heavypic, Apr 16, 2021.

1. heavypic

heavypic TDPRI Member

Hey All -

So I have a mint condition Boss GT-3 multi-effects pedal that I've rarely used since purchase in 2000 due to the learning/time curve. I mostly play blues and classic rock at home with Teles, Strats and LPs through tube amps (BJ, DRRI, DeVille, Bugera V22). The only other pedals I have are a Keely modded Ibanez TS-808 and a Dunlop Fasel inductor Cry Baby Wah pedal, both from about mid-2000.

Recently, I was considering purchasing 1 or 2 other overdrive pedals (Boss BD-2 and/or OD-3) to adequately cover most classic rock/blues tones. After review of several YouTubes and other reviews, the BD-2 and OD-3 would seem to be a good compliment to my current pedals and amps. I then started experimenting again with the GT-3. As you may know, the GT-3's OD effects are analog much like the BD-2 and OD-3. I started building a few basic patches with the GT-3 using only the available OD/distortion effects. For some patches I added a touch of compression to the OD effect. I was able to create some decent OD tones from the GT-3.

The GT-3 offers 11 types of distortion. Those that I find most useful are: Natural OD, Vintage OD, Turbo OD, Blues, and Crunch. Parameters that can be adjusted to taste for each distortion 'type' include: Drive, Bass, Treble and Level. I set up 3 patches each (a 'low', 'mid', and 'high' drive level) using the distortion types Turbo OD, Blues, and Crunch. These patches seem to cover blues to hard rock tones fairly well. My amp tones are set very clean so as not to influence the GT-3's effects too much. My guitar settings were typically at "7-8" for Volume and Tone controls when building the patches to allow for some tonal flexibility. I have not yet tried to add the GT-3's "EQ" effect to the OD patches I created. I'm still a relative novice with the GT-3.

I have a question for those who may be familiar with the OD effects of the GT-3, BD-2, OD-3 or similar pedals. For the type of music I play, would I gain anything with the purchase of the individual Boss BD-2 and OD-3 pedals vs. the OD tones I can get from the GT-3?

As I am sure many of you can relate, I've already invested too much in gear that I have not fully utilized due to time constraints or other reasons. Looking to save a few $$ where I can.

I look forward to replies. Thanks and regards...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.