1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BOSS GT-1000 vs individual pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sothoth, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

I went for the BOSS ME-80.

upload_2020-11-25_12-11-13.jpeg

teleteej, MatsEriksson and MilwMark like this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I've owned a GT1000. Luckily I sold it, before someone got wind of the GT1000CORE which is the small estate pedal version of it. There are numerous reviews out there. All such multi-fx out there, Helix, Axe-FX, Kemper, Boss GT1000 and the like are always some kind of swiss army knife. If you play in cover bands and wants to nail top 40 acts tone, processed to death. Most of these pedals aims towards eschewing tube amps on stage altogether. So here's my take for using the gt1000core, and similar swiss army knife multifx pedals:

1. They are always a concession. Compromise in tones from both real tube amps, and especially analog distortion/boost/fuzz pedals. They may come very close, but no cigar. It's a matter how you as a player can live with this or not.

Playing all kinds of rock/music, top 40 they will work a charm. However, if you play period correct music from the 50s, plus vintage guitars and tube amps today, there's little reason to REPLACE your former gear with these ones. Including GT1000.

3. BOSS multi-fx always has a special menu operation (modus operandi), that will test your character and patience for quite some time, even if you connect it to bluetooth or edit through a dedicated computer. That's their way, and some has chosen Helix, Kemper, Axe-FX (even), just because of Boss's unwieldy edit system. Take a pick. If you don't mind this, go ahead.

4. Be very aware of their 24 blocks at once use. Sales pitch. Helix Stomp has just 6. 4 of the 24 blocks has to be different EQs and so on, so you really can't mix and match to no end. Like 24 blocks of individual delay units. if you do that.

5. Connect 2-3 of your old analog pedals which this unit can't reproduce. In their 3 aux loops. Works a charm. If you need the old analog ones.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Me myself thought about this when deciding (on the new GT1000CORE pedal). Me myself have never been interested in anything vintage as back as the 50s. Neither in guitars or amps, and definitely not pedals since there wasn't any around back then. I have never ever cared for authentic blues tones, or being hardcore and purist about that. While I do have owned real tube amps and so on, it had come to a point of schlepping them around, in comparison to software modeller, and hardware modelled amps, and pedals.

6. My interest has more been into as much options as possible, because the music I make, and like, is so varied that just an ancient vintage guitar or amp will not be sufficient enough, as well as effects pedals. I want to have the option to go psychedelic, and out there sometimes, including Frippertronics, ambient guitar, and expanding the octave ranges of the guitar with pitch shifters, and octavers too.

7. Now, these days, with a lot of soundscapes available inside effect units, like shimmer reverbs, pitch shifting down and up, any real guitar cab speaker doesn't lend itself to that at all. You must play through FRFR high end PA speakers or studio monitors. If you play octave down, you're into bass range and a general guitar speaker of a vintage combo cab can't take this for long, because you're into bass guitar range and it will rip, eventually. Same with the high end. Shimmer reverbs just drowns, and regular reverb too. If you want stereo, it's impossible to set two amps the same.

So I did a concession: I'd rather have this clear high fidelity sound, and whenever needed some ancient that sounds like a miked up vintage tube amp, I'd rather choose that close but no cigar tube amp sound, because that frequency range can be done without harm. However, if your stance it the opposite, that you don't care enough for bling sounds, and spacey psychedelic sounds, then your criteria is different, and you prioritize vintage cab sounds and guitar sounds to a tee. Then the GT-1000 is not for you.

8. If you're the tinkerer, of course, it's way more easier to call up a saved preset each time and get consistent settings on all STOMP and pedals in there. IRL you may still have to adjust ever so slightly on your analog pedals. All of the time.

You will get listening fatigued by any effect pedal. Analog as well as multi-fx, digital. It's just a matter of time. Now, a Fender Twin from 1966 is still around, it hasn't been changed as well as Fender/Gibson from that year. Same with analog pedals. They do sound the same. The listening fatigue will kick in sooner with any GT1000, Helix, Axe-FX and Kemper. No matter how creative you are with its programming coming up with novel sounds every time. You will tweak, tinker more than playing, because I know very well I do.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    littlebadboy likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

If you still just want to replace your pedals with GT1000 and still run into a regular guitar amp, I think GT1000 and the like is overkill. Both Helix stomp,Axe-FX,Kemper and the like. All of them have prioritized in presets, and DSP nailing the tube amp/cab speaker part of the sound. And if you want to use whatever tube amp you have, you're better off with other options, i e multi-fx pedals that doesn't necessarily have been made for you to have to plug in directly to PA, but still use your tube amp and speaker.

But if you want to get rid of onstage combo tube amp + speaker, then, I would suggest it to you, but not favorably over Helix, or any of the other floorboards out there. I've heard many reviews of that the GT1000 should initially not turn out that impressive, but it takes a while. It dawns on you slowly. Like, you're not that initially impressed with a Fender Twin amp either, it's supposed to sound like that. And that irks me. Like, your'e not initially impressed way over the top, but you don't get tired of it either. It has been my experience that with most "impressive" sounds from any unit, have been those where I get fed up the fastest with too.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@MatsEriksson - very helpful.

can the CoreGT1000 be used in “manual/pedalboard” mode? Like assigning one foot switch to chorus, one to OD and one to Delay. Turn them on/off with the switch like individual stomps?

If so, is there an easy way to say increase the delay level on stage like you would on a stand-alone delay pedal?

Thanks

MatsEriksson likes this.
  5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Seriously, is that honestly something you want to do in real life? That's what rehearsal is for. There are still a whole bunch of knobs on the thing for control of any variety of parameters in your patch or bank.

Someone fiddling with a phone on stage just looks like someone who wants to be somewhere else.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  6. MilwMark

I really, really wish they would do an ME1000. Smaller lighter and new models. The user interface in the ME series is so much better than GT for me.

teleteej and Laren like this.
  7. MatsEriksson

No real manual mode, you must use a preset, like I use preset 00 as a starting off clean slate. The CoreGT1000 does not contain 3 external aux pedals as the real big one does. It has 2. Since it is a condensed dimension of the huge one, it doesn't work as you stated without additional external footswitches.
    Skärmavbild 2020-11-25 kl. 20.51.08.png

It's only the CTL 1 to the rightmost where you can assign to whatever, to - say - chorus. The two others are had to be tied down to the system default settings. This is the footswitches though. But the turnable button knobs numbered from 1-6 above you can assign to anyhing and even one knob can control 2-3 things at once. This is the backside:

Skärmavbild 2020-11-25 kl. 20.51.40.png

CTL 2,3/EXP at the rightmost, you can connect external footswitches and control whatever you like. The send 1 return 1 send 2 return 2 is for you analog pedals that this one can't reproduce or you want control them with their own knobs. Also, if you care to add on a full MIDI foot controller board you can control chorus or whatever, anything. There's a control 3,4/EXP at the side too, so you can expand it how much you like, but with all "add-ons" it takes up as much space as the big one. On the big one, it comes with assignable footswitches that you can assign to whatever.

EDIT: Oh sorry forgot this one: I use an Exp pedal connected to the Coregt1000 to just use for delay wet/dry mix. On select patches. All others the volume of the effect, from completely dry to completely wet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    littlebadboy likes this.
  8. MatsEriksson

The large GT1000 has 2 aux sends at the back just made for that, and you can put them anywhere into anything else inside the GT1000. Before some chorus inside, after it, in between, after speaker sims, after reverbs.

Skärmavbild 2020-11-25 kl. 21.08.58.png

I wonder if it is not the BOSS MS-3 you should be hunting down instead. Built in FX, but 3 aux, so you can turn on the pedals at whim.

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. MatsEriksson

I would rather connect through a usb cable and connect a laptop to it at a keyboard stand or table beside, because the edit function you can have up and showing all of the time. Even if the laptop has bluetooth it is dodgy using it live. Ok, one cable more, but think of the amount of cables you have to have with your 50 pedals. More things to go wrong and haywire.

I even once chose only to use MIDI pedals on a keyboard stand. I e delay, reverb, modulation pedals with midi function as well as distortion. At waist level. ONE midi cable only down to a huge MIDI foot controller board. The guitar cable went into the pedals on the keyboard stand (with a dedicated board to stuck everything on). So I didn't have to bend down and fiddle with stuff. If I had to, it was at waist level, and could adjust while doing legato runs with left hand, if needed. A huge cleanup too, as the actual pedalboard didn't reside on floor and hazardous trip overs, or beer spill. The MIDI board could take anything it seemed.

littlebadboy likes this.
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I have always been a Boss GT series fanboi. I had the Boss GT-3, GT-6, GT-1, then the GT-100 which I sold in favor of a Headrush Gigboard. I wanted IR loading, but the GT-1000 was too expensive. Now that there's the GT-1000CORE I have been toying with the idea if I should replace my Headrush. Your review lit my interest more. I have been comfortable with the Tone Studio on the computer as I am more of a music creator at home and don't gig anymore.

11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

'I like the idea of an integrated unit like the Boss GT series and love that the 1000 can be edited via Bluetooth in the middle of a gig.'

it would probably never happen, but would it then be possible for some joker to hack your settings?
    most of us never think about what's open to connect with by bluetooth when we're out and about is all.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is my opinion: I believe guitar players in general sacrifice practicality at the altar of impressing other guitar players. This inclination manifests itself all over the place. Ever been to a small local gig and seen a guitarist bring his entire collection with him, all of them on stands for everyone to see? I have. I literally watched a friend's band play a one-hour set, and each of the two guitarists brought their heavy-a** tube combos, huge pedalboards, and TWO LES PAULS EACH (plus other guitars, but I can't remember what they were). Not joking.

A unit like the Boss you're referring to is the practical way to go and likely sounds amazing, but guitar players want other guitar players to see their massive pedalboards loaded with boutique stuff, all held together with velcro and zip ties, with patch cables running all over the place, because it's "the real thing".

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've seen guys who can't really play in time bring 10k+ worth of amazing guitars to 50 person bar gigs, I'm talking custom shop 335s and J200s, or on bass a Fodera through an 8x10 Mesa rig. I've seen monster players rock the same stage with Squier / Katana 50 rigs. The better player always sounds better than the gearhead, always always always.

14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I wondered the same thing and downloaded the manual. There doesn't appear to be a specific pairing mode, a PIN or any steps to confirm or reject pairing request, nor is there any way to shut Bluetooth off. So probably anyone with a phone and Tone Studio can jump on and mess with it.

We have a term for that in my business: "big ol' security hole."

scottser likes this.
  15. MilwMark

Hard to say. I have a modest board. 4 pedals including tuner. I’ve tried multi’s. But needing readers, singing, moving around, it’s just easier to see a pedal I can ID by color and position. I get lost in the close multi-buttons.

16. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Ha I never really thought about it, but I agree with this. For me I am just not a tweaker, I'd rather not use any pedals and just plug in and play. Just different priorities I guess. But I was never good at emulating different tones when I played in cover bands. I had a guitar, a BD-2, and EQ pedal and sometimes a delay through an amp, and even that was too much.. lol. And chorus when I used amps with built in chorus. I would never have considered humping a board full of pedals to a gig... lol. I've messed with The GT1000 and it is a great piece of kit, but I don't even tweak my Katana 100, I just plug in set the volume and gain and play so it would be wasted on me. I gig and record pretty much 100% acoustic now and it suits me for sure. I was never one for copying covers exactly, I always liked to add my own taste to them, which drives some people nuts though... lol.

17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm playing in a 8 piece variety rock band; Motown to Journey & Rush.

I have a few pedals, Spark boost, TS9, MXR phase in front of a Vox Tonelab and that goes nto the front of a tube amp.

I use the Vox for presets and have a few base tones that reuse I use a lot. The problem is outlier songs...one song per night needs flanger, one needs octave, unique delay effects, a couple minor moments of wah are required...you know what I mean. To me, the way to solve the riddle for a wide array of effects is a mfx pedal and building presets.

The presets and versatility of a multi effects combined with a few outboard pedals gives me a chance to tweak to the room, or different guitar...whatever.

18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i do not like this one bit.

19. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

So did I. And that was after having a GT-1000. I like the simplicity of being able to adjust the effects parameters quickly in the real-time Manual mode. Just give me a knob to tweak. Plus the ability to save song specific presets. Plus it's small footprint on a tiny stage. The ME-80 can even run on batteries. If they made a ME-90/ME-100, I would be first in line to check it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.