Boss GT-1000 vs. Helix vs. AxeFX Videos

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by colchar, May 10, 2020.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I stumbled across these when researching multi-effects units (I bought a Boss GT-100), so I figured I would post them for anyone who might be interested.

Steve 78, FrontPU and NeubyWanKaneuby like this.
  2. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby TDPRI Member

I had a Boss GT-8 back in the mid 2000s. It worked pretty well for me.

I've had an Axe FX II for about 3-4 years now, and I'm not sure I'll switch to anything else.

colchar likes this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I thought about the Axe FX (and the Kemper). But everything seemed so close in the various videos (and personal trials) that I stuck with Line 6 Helix because of my previously experience with Line 6.

codamedia and colchar like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Boss FTW in that one

middy and colchar like this.
  5. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby TDPRI Member

If I didn't buy the Axe before the Helix came out, I would have given the Helix a try.
    I'm still curious about it, though. I've heard a lot of good tones from Helix.

6. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I went Helix LT about a year and a half ago. Best move I ever made with guitar gear. It cured my pedal buying GAS and is the most versatile piece of gear I own. Setup where I play weekly (or did before the you know what) is fast and easy. Sound guy loves it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got to say, i really hate when these things use the sound of the unit seated in a musical track.
    I suppose maybe the idea is to allow you to hear what the sound is like in context, but I want to hear it all by itself, and to do it without that, to me that's just plain cheating.

Some reviewers do half and half (that Andy guy comes to mine, also that one guy who always shoots from the go-pro mounted on his guitar) , and I can appreciate that approach

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Rest assured that it will sound like a regular amp/pedals recorded and played back though YouTube convertors and cheap pc speakers or 4 dollar headphones :)

Seriously now nobody buys these units in order to "play them alone" ,they are recording and live playing tools (especially if you wear in ears in the later scenario) and they should only be judged based on how good they sound WITHIN a track.

Of course they will never sound as good "alone" through monitors or headphones as a real tube amp standing next to you .

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I disagree, I think these things are better served with at least a portion of the demonstration dedicated to the sound of the unit on it's own, so you can actually hear how it sounds with the limitations of youtube compression etc that you'd mentioned (I actually appreciate the less sophisticated recordings that aren't going directly into a DAW for this reason), all by itself, so the listener has at least the opportunity to try to judge whether that's a sound that he actually wants or not.

Otherwise it's akin to demoing a drive pedal through an already overdriven amp, or awash in reverb/delay. Let us hear the dang thing, on the merits of itself

10. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yeah I was surprised at how great it sounded. That video almost made me grab a GT-1000, but they aren't as user friendly for beginners as some other Boss models so I opted for the GT-100 because I am new(ish) to multi-effects. If I decide to make the switch to digital, I will revisit the GT-1000 idea.

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I would. I only play at home as a hobby and do not record.

Cloodie and blowtorch like this.
  12. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I own the GT1000 and the Helix. Both are great, but if I had to pick one to keep it would be the Helix.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think as good as digital technology has gotten, the sound quality between each is probably indistinguishable and the only real difference is features.

codamedia and colchar like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Interface and ease/intuitiveness of use is also distinguishable and very important. An ideal design minimizes
    menu diving and is highly intuitive, quick to learn, easy to work with. All brands are getting better at this with
    each iteration, IMO. It helps to have bigger, color screens with sharp graphics and smart use of screen real estate.

colchar likes this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes they sound better... ;)

16. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Can you tell us why? And which unit do you think is better for amp sims, effect, user interface, etc.?

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, another difference between the digital amp models of each unit: each company modeled a different Marshall JCM800, a different Vox AC30, etc. So the models will sound different, because different amplifiers were modeled.

colchar and codamedia like this.
  18. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

They both sound great, but The Helix wins for its interface and ease of use.

19. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Those shoot outs are like watching amp shoot outs between three good amps. Sure they sound a little different but that is irrelevant. They all sound great!

Modeling has matured... the pesky little brother is an adult, well positioned with a bright future.
    It's just a matter of finding one that fits you best. Tones, functionality and usability.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  20. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Some people forget this fact... or just don't know it.
    Three JCM 800's (even consecutively numbered) are like triplets. They look the same, but they each have their own personalities. The same applies to any amp make/model.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Frodebro, 3-Chord-Genius and colchar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.