Boss FS switching pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by don71, Jul 20, 2019.

1. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking for a foot switch as an addition to aid in control of a boss RC1 looper.

When looking at Boss line of switcher pedals I see them listed as Latching and Non Latching.

Can someone tell me what this means?

Is it simply the ability to slide/join two or more switchers together and appear ganged as one unit...or something else?

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe the latching works like a "normal" pedal; stomp on, stomp off. The non-latching is only on while your foot is on it, and turns off once you remove your foot.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The Boss FS-5L and the FS-5U. You need to know which one you are supposed to use for each application. The Unlatched version just sends a signal while your foot is depressing the switch. The Latched version clicks on and off like a normal pedal. Look at the Boss RC-1 manual PDF file on their website to find out which one you need.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

BTW, Boss made a combination pedal with both a latched and non latching switches. As I recall that might be the one used for the RC-1, but I'm getting too old to remember those things.

5. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yea, the new or used market is willing to sell either one or a combo. I couldn't get my thick head around it to understand though.

Thanks, that clears up a mystery for me, if not open up even more options...er lame ideas.

I really like the idea of actually opening up the manual....and using it. :cry:

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The correct answers are all above, but everyone describes the same thing a little different. I'm here to muddy the waters further :D

Latching: Press it once it's on, press it again it's off.
    Non-Latching: It is only on when you foot is holding it down.... often this is refereed to as a momentary.

There is also a polarity switch on some of the non-latching versions... if you are after a non-latching FS you will want that feature, if not today - for future use ;)

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use the FS-6. In fact a pair of them. This model has switches for both modes of operation - latched and momentary.

Works great to extend my Boss RC3 functions but it also redeploys for my rack fx toggling and advancing patches.

The RC1 manual,should gave notes on the way different Boss FS units work with it. I know one will do start stop on an RC1

Very handy to own.

A97F817B-258F-4D87-A93D-FB92BC9B8F26.jpeg 9513792C-DBE7-4882-8001-E26AF38898A6.jpeg

8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

That's cool that they are designed to connect to each other. I never had seen that. Smart thinking by someone in the development chain.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I use this one with my DD500. Saves a lot of space.

[​IMG]

E5RSY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.