Boss DS-1

Marky D.

Tele-Holic
I picked one of these up from Guitar Center recently because it was so cheap and sounded decent when I compared it w/ a buncha others. Anyone else tried this pedal? It seems to retain more low end than some others I've tried.

tweeddeluxe

Tele-Afflicted
I know they get slammed quite a bit, but I like mine too. I usually run it with the distortion all the way down and tone between 10 & 2 o'clock. Works well with humbuckers especially.

Tom

alabubba

Tele-Meister
I like mine, although it's not on my pedalboard at the present (a Rat has replaced it for the present). It really has some sweet spots if you take the time to find them.

It is more of a classic sounding distortion, '70s to my ear, which agrees with me. Turn it down to where it is kind of an overdrive, and you can use pick control to play clean as a bell on the high strings, or distorted power chords on the low strings, without switching the pedal off. I find this very useful at times.

MJ Harnish

Tele-Meister
The DS-1 is a great bang for the buck; I have a sort of love/hate relationship with them having owned 3 in the past 5 years. :? Why I keep selling mine is beyond me since I find the DS-1 very useful in certain situations. The Keeley mods for them (whether you do them yourself or pay him to do them) are also very good; they take a little bit of the shrill edge off the pedal and give it a slightly sweeter distortion. I'm not sure if I'd say it makes a HUGE difference, like some other people feel it does, but it does improve an already decent pedal.

BTW - I also have a Rat which I happen to think rocks too. 8)

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Made in Japan DS-1

I've used a DS-1 for about 10 years. This one that I've got was old when I got it, so no telling exactly when it was made...but I do know where it was made - Japan.

The new ones are made in Korea (all new Boss pedals are). I doubt that means anything technically, but none of the new ones I've ever played through in a store sound as good as mine.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

I bought one last weekend. I've had a lot of fun with it since, but prefer to use it with my ES-355 rather than my Tele. Even at its lowest settings I find there's just a little too much distortion for a lot of what I play. I'm going to check out an OD-3 this weekend.

Does anyone know of a distortion or overdrive pedal that can blend a clean signal with the distorted one? Or is that the way these pedals work anyway?

Lane in MS

Tele-Meister
I do know that that is the preferred distortion pedal of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. That's a pretty ringing endorsement in my book. Don't know if they use moded units or not, though.

IndyGuitarist

TDPRI Member
Lane in MS said:
I do know that that is the preferred distortion pedal of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. That's a pretty ringing endorsement in my book. Don't know if they use moded units or not, though.

Yes, they're modded, I know vai's is modded by keeley...pics at www.robertkeeley.com.

On a side note, I'm posting some mp3's today of my modded ds-1...its waaaaaayyy better, much fuller. It was modded by a guy named paul weller.

Brian

tombo

TDPRI Member
Boss is made in.......

Good Texan,
I'm not slamming ya, just lettin' ya know that the Boss pedals are made in Taiwan, not Korea.

Eric K.
You can't go wrong with an OD-3. Best "Bang for the buck" OD out there. I also own a Sparkle Drive (great), Maxon OD-9 (great with Tele), and my ultimate - the Menatone Red Snapper.

Word from Robert Keeley is that he's busy, but he may start doing mods to the OD-3 around the end of the year.

hippietim

Friend of Leo's
Modded DS-1's

I now have two of these - one done by Robert Keeley and another by DoobTone. They are both fundamentally the same mods. It is a massive improvement. I have an old MIJ pedal and just sold a newer stock MIT pedal and there is no comparison (and the MIJ sounds considerably better than the MIT). The modded pedals are much fuller, smoother, have more dynamic and harmonics. Oh, and they are waaaay quieter than the stock pedal.

IndyGuitarist

TDPRI Member
IndyGuitarist said:
Lane in MS said:

Yes, they're modded, I know vai's is modded by keeley...pics at www.robertkeeley.com.

On a side note, I'm posting some mp3's today of my modded ds-1...its waaaaaayyy better, much fuller. It was modded by a guy named paul weller.

Brian

here is the web link to the soundclips:
http://www.indyguitarist.com/boss_mod.html

Brian

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Re: Boss is made in.......

tombo said:
Good Texan,
I'm not slamming ya, just lettin' ya know that the Boss pedals are made in Taiwan, not Korea.

You are correct Sir! ... I didn't have it in front of me at the time...Taiwan it is.

Kevin

Friend of Leo's
I just bought a DS-1 a couple of weeks ago; it's the first distortion pedal I've had in about 10 years.

The settings I use are:

Tone: 9 o' clock

Level: 12 o' clock

Distortion: 3 o' clock

I temper the distortion level by rolling back the volume of my guitar. I find that it gives me a really full, grinding sound with humbuckers, and a sparkling, clean-but-edgy sound with my strat. I don't use it with my tele cos it sounds good straight into the amp.

DADGAD

Friend of Leo's
A Taiwan DS-1 is the only pedal I use with my Tele. It is fueled by an Alkaline battery and has 2 caps changed. If my ancient memory serves me, it has a 1mfd (instead of 0.47mfd) on the IC feedback divider to ground for more low end and a 220pf silver mica in place of the 100pf cap across the Distortion pot. My MIM Tele sports a .001mfd cap on the volume pot.

Tone set to 10 o'clock
Level set to 10 o'clock
Distortion set to MAX

It makes for a great combination of overdrive to classic rock, just using the controls on the guitar.

My #2 son owns a MIJ DS-1. It sounds very different from my Tai-baby.

It's strange, but that combination gains more compliments on my tone than my G****n Les Paul.

Best regards,

Gary