1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss DS-1 Haterz join me over here

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Switchy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I really like my Analogman/Boss DS-1 Pro Midrange Mod pedal.

I was lucky enough (IMO) to get one of their (Boss) 40th Anniversary pedals.

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I used mine on friday night at band practice as I'd not had it out for a while, it sounded amazing into my marshall's crunch channel on just a mild crunch setting. It almost made me wonder why I bother with anything else.

I think maybe it wouldn't be as nice into a SS, scoopy or ultra clean Fender though.

3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Ok, final update.

I managed, with much difficulty to replace the diodes I had cut previously, and at least it is a distortion pedal again.
    I tried out a different resistor (R17) to keep it in the lower HZ range, but it was still too bright. I removed it again, this supposedly takes out the treble circuit, if I understood correctly., and that's how I'm going to leave it. It's useable for me with knobs @ 9:00 and level really high.
    This is much along the lines of what @11 Gauge said, but I found out too late.

Just hit up 11 Gauge and his mods if you want to do something. :cool: Don't listen to me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

In an interview Joe Satriani said that he had a DS-1 on his board and that he liked it.
    He said that the pedal sounds great run into a Clean Amp.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's the old MIJ DS-1 for you. IMO, it's not that finicky about the amp you pair it with (although some amps are probably just picky about whatever pedals you might use).

...But a stock MIT DS-1 - you don't want all that buzziness cleanly amplified. The right amp suddenly becomes a sort of post-processor, because it's necessary for the treble frequencies, in particular.

To reiterate, the MIJ DS-1 and MIT DS-1 are really not the same animal, so to make blanket statements like all of them should be used with specific amps, is simply not accurate.

ping-ping-clicka and Switchy like this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

o.k. , call joe up and tell him that, I don't tell J.S. about his rig or how he should qualify his opinions pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-pick-scab picking as entertainment is not my thing, have at it, your right. I'm wrong.:) better?
    please lighten up you're scaring me.:cry:

7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I generally agree with what’s stated, with the caveat that it really should be before 1994 vs. after 1994 instead of MIJ vs. MIT, as the MIT DS-1s had the same circuit as the MIJs did for the first 6 years of production.

My ‘91 DS-1 has the Toshiba chip and sounds like a good DS-1 should.

8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I'm getting ready for a classic rock, cover band gig next Saturday and I needed a general purpose distortion pedal for my board. After running though a dozen different pedals, the Boss DS-1 was coming out on top. I have 5 different DS-1s, some stock and some modded.

Out of them all, the stock Taiwan came in last place. It sounded good, but not as good as the others.

A MIJ long dash came out in third place. I have two of these. But, it was a little too wooly and dark. Definately sounds better, and different, that the Taiwanese DS1.

In second place was my Taiwan DS-1 with the Wampler mods from his free online book. It sounds very much like what I would describe as a Marshall in pedal. (It has a "W" sticker on the top.)

Barely inching out the Wampler mods DS1 is my own modded Taiwan model, my "DS-7000". It uses a 2N7000 FET in place of the silicon clipping diodes. This gives assymetrical clipping. Half the waveform is clipped by the FET and the other half of the waveform is clipped by the FET's internal silicon diode. Pinch harmonics really jump out with this guy. It has a couple more minor mods but the 2N7000 is the major mod.

[​IMG]

Switchy likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Ironic that a lot of people think the DS-1 is suited for 80's hair metal, when Kurt Cobain used a DS1 to basically kill 80's hair metal.

10. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.