1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss DS-1 Haterz join me over here

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Switchy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, removing the 2 diodes got rid of the clipping distortion, but still the treble was WAY too high.
    So, I cut the R17 because it gives more control to the low end, and this combination suits me. To me at least, it sounds more like a mild overdrive pedal.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

COol. Cheers for that. Will give it a go.

Switchy likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The best thing to do with a DS-1 besides throwing it away, is to mod it.

Those talking about it as being a good clean boost, could say the same thing about every OD/dirt box with the same three controls.

4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I did the Wampler mod on my DS-1 which changed the pedal completely. I only use SS amps and it sounds great through all of them. (Roland JC55, Vox 15 watt Pathfinder, Henriksen Jazz Amp and a Polytone MB) it goes from clean with slight grit to a Marshall roar

2 Headed Goat and DADGAD like this.
  5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I did the Wampler mod on my DS-1 and use it on my SS amps, Vox 15watt Pathfinder, Roland JC55 & a Polytone MB. I only play through SS and the mod changes the pedal completely. The modded one is almost between a TS and a Rat, cleans up low gain with just a touch of dirt theng going to a Marshall roar with the gain knob. The tone nob also reacts completely differently on my modded one more useable, no fizz. A Very valve sounding dirt pedal mod, classic Marshall or Vintage Plexi. My DS-1's are an 81 Stock MIJ, a stock MIT and a modded MIT.

They're really not worth much money to sell unless its a MIJ, so its worth having a crack at modding to get it to work with your SS amp. Mods on the through the hole type DS-1s are easy to do if your careful and you may end up with one of the best dirt box's you ever had. That's what happened to me, If you do a mod, I suggest de-soldering the diodes rather than snipping them as the Youtube vid shows so that you can resolder them back in if you dont like that particular mod & there are lots of different mods to try on the DS-1's.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    2 Headed Goat and DADGAD like this.
  6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Removing R17 effectively eliminates the treble part of the tone circuit - it's a high pass filter with a cutoff frequency of ~1KHz.

If you ever change your mind and want to be able to blend some more highs back in, but don't want it as bright as stock, use something bigger than the stock value of 6.8K for R17. If you use 15K, it will drop the cutoff frequency to ~480Hz (mixes in more mids). If you use 22K, it will drop the cutoff frequency all the way down to ~330Hz - IMO this tends to work really well with Fender BF/SF amps, or those with a similar tone stack curve.

Switchy likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

Yep. If it's "an old classic recording with a DS-1," it's the MIJ, if it was recorded when the DS-1 was only MIJ.

Both the MIJ and MIT might be in the same orange enclosure, but there are component differences that are critical to the sound, and they really do sound quite difference.

The MITs have their place, and can be pressed into service for some duties, but to consider them as sonically equal to the MIJs is something that only someone who's never heard both would say, IMO.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Cool! Good to know. I'm going to play with it as is and see what I got to work with.
    What options are there for the diodes I cut out in case I want some growl back in?

9. 11 Gauge

Well, I think either stock diodes or no diodes kind of represent the two extremes, so I'd suggest something more in between. That will require putting two diodes in series (each way, or what is called "antiparallel", for a total of four). You could either try using four 1N4148s, or something like a 1N4148 with a BAT41 in series (again, each way, in an "antiparallel" arrangement).

Diodes have polarity, so it's important to get the arrangement right. You may want to research clipping diode mods a little bit, just to familiarize yourself.

Switchy and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I always thought it sounded terrible....as a main drive.

Just recently tried it as a solo boost for an already gained up sound and really dug it. Liquid leads!

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The mod in that video sounded even worse than the original. The point of modding stuff is if it sounds pretty cool, you can change the sound a bit. If it sounds horrible, there isn't much point to it.

Actually I got rid of mine before I could even really play, so I'm not sure if I would hate it still, but I'm not even a bit curious.

However, I am interested in that desoldering iron in the video. Anyone have one? It looks like it would work much better than the regular desoldering pump I have, which has to be used with a regular soldering iron.

12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

In that particular space, four diodes would be hard to do.... I'll go with one extreme for now. Thanks!

13. 11 Gauge

No, it's not that hard. You just arrange them so that they form a triangle - /\ for each series pair. IMO, it's only really difficult if one of the diodes is on the large side, like germaniums tend to be. But 1N4148s and BAT41s are very small, and will fit easily.

...It's also harder to put in diodes like a lot of DS-1 mods might call for - stuff like LEDs and mosFETs, for example, especially if the mods are obnoxious enough to then put yet other diodes in series with them. You can always tell the DS-1s that have been repeatedly modded with different diode combos that just don't fit, because the solder traced for the diodes get all torn up.

On the subject of LEDs as clipping diodes, I strongly suggest you either limit trying ones that are either rectangular in shape (because they'll fit side-by-side) or are the little 3mm things (because they'll almost fit side-by-side, with a little ingenuity).

Yet something else to consider doing would be to solder in some form of sockets on the PCB, and then you can experiment by plugging different diode combos into them. When you find a combo you like, just put a little bit of hot melt glue on them, so that they won't come loose and fall out.

2 Headed Goat and Switchy like this.
  14. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Ah! Totally understand, that makes sense. Arranging the diodes in a "/\" configuration. Not bad.

Cool! I'll keep that in mind! Thanks a lot!

15. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I never minded mine.

I figured if it was good enough for Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Gary Moore, Neal Schon, George Lynch and even a brief stint on Eric Johnson's board then it couldn't be all that bad.

tubedood and Switchy like this.
  16. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I have a question. I happen to have several 1N4935GP diodes handy... What are the chances I can use these?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/1N4935GP/1N4935GP-ND/976516

I realize this may be a dumb question, but here it is. :oops:

17. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with a stock DS 1. You just need to learn how to use it properly.

They have been in production for 30+ years so obviously they are doing something right.

DADGAD and tubedood like this.
  18. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Those will function fine, electronically. Where you may have a problem is that your rectifiers have a larger diameter lead, which may not fit in the holes in the PCB. You might have to drill them out.

Switchy likes this.
  19. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

In retrospect, I should have just traded it for some guitar strings.

The traces are rather delicate on the PCB and now I can't fix the diodes I cut out. Oh well. No big loss.

20. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Shoulda done the “Outlaw” mod....

...is something I will be saying forever and ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.