1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss DS-1 Haterz join me over here

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Switchy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That's the thing, this little orange pedal that amateur guitarists hate is on a whole bunch of professional recordings by famous people - and in its stock form. When you mentioned above that the mod makes this pedal sing, I agree wholeheartedly. That's the word - it sings when you play guitar solos. Regarding the stock pedal, I think people just need to learn how to use it properly. It's meant to be used through an already mildly distorted amp, to give it a boost.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

No hate here, I even bought a black one too just because...

Sadly the band I play in now isn't the style of my old band so I don't use it much any more, it's great for getting that Bauhaus Dark entries live sound.

3. Frank Lee

Frank Lee TDPRI Member

Ds-1s as they are, are pretty useless I'll give you that. But what annoys me is that loads don't see potential in pedals other than how they were made...
    This leads me on to say that I REALLY couldn't recommend this anymore.
    After doing this mod (a long time ago) I never bought a fuzz until someone told me to, but now after having been seriously into pedals for at least 5+ years I can say that there isn't a single pedal on the market that is so unique as a circuit bent ds-1.
    (Look for other bends too, the ds-1 is so circuit bendable.)

4. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I never owned one, but I find this video very informative and interesting:

BGLeduc and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@11 Gauge - Keith, wouldn't you know, my GC happened to have a MIJ DS1 in great condition for $70 marked down. Couldn't resist.

As noted, I like the stock modern DS1.

The Japan one is almost like a different pedal.

MUCH lower gain. This one also seems to have less bass and highs.

Very quiet noise floor.

Definite keeper. Now I have to go back and digest you easier posts on them.

6. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

I'm not sure any overdrive/distortion pedal will sound good through a Frontman.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

The SD-1, OD-3, and EHX Glove sound pretty good on my humble rig. :)

reckless meanie likes this.
  8. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Nevermind Boss ... Just Distortion pedals = Ughhh
    Bit of an OD pedal driving a Tube amp ... Magnificent , but Distortion or even worse Muff. .. double Ughhh.

9. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

My first pedal. I hated it then, and I still hate it now. Modified they can sound good, but for me an unmodified one is fizz city through the amps I play.

I play through old Blackface and Silverface amps, and am always looking to turn them into Marshalls. Yet I keep buying more Black/Silver amps, putting British speakers in them, and trying to find the perfect pedal to turn them into Plexis and 800s. And I kind of like that approach, as backwards as it may seem.

Through my rig they are splatty and just sound like a bad grunge record or something. I was never a Nirvana fan (to put it mildly), I was more into the 80s stuff that came before that change in music, and generally didn't like grunge music. The only pedal that sounds worse is probably the DS-2 Turbo Distortion.

I do like the Keeley mods that he offered. I think the MXR '78 is a great cheap option to try a Keeley type DS-1 mod, and the Prime Distortion is basically that pedal with the switch in the OFF position, which is even cheaper if they still make them. Both of which are majorly improved over the MIT BOSS DS-1.

Even a Metal Zone sounds better to me, thanks to it's uber-flexible and quite brilliant EQ section. A great parametric type EQ boost pedal, with the gain off.

I think the unmodded ones would probably sound better through a mid-pushed amp than a mid-scooped/smiley face EQ like a Blackface/Silverface Fender. I never did try a MIJ DS-1 - but I know the MIJ SD-1 is better than the MIT SD-1, so maybe it's the same story there. I do prefer BOSS's older pedals mostly.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  10. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I completely agree with you, but what is MIAB?

MilwMark likes this.
  11. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

I'm just being a smart A$$

Switchy likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Marshall In A Box

13. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan of the DS-1 (mostly). Your amps aren't a good platform for it. You really do need a honky midrangey amp to start with (as you note) and then it's something else.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Oh you just need to get a second one!

I got a second in a trade and decided to mod the one and use the second as a baseline. But I stacked them while trying and found a pair was much better than single. Now I use them as a six knob boutique pedal on my board. I have about $40 in the pair. Later on I found this video and it's exactly what I do, one orange box is lower gain like the TS and the other stays below 50% gain.
    I never modded them.

I have a Boss MT-2 that I modded with the WAZA changes and that is much improved.

15. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  16. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Still have one literally from decades ago - Hate It! Could maybe be workable with tweaking and the right amp, but there are so many other great pedals available now that I find it basically useless, except maybe as a nostalgia item.

17. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I'll tell you what, in addition to cutting D4 and D5, I cut R17 and low and behold.... It's like a whole new different pedal. :eek:

It's honestly more like an overdrive pedal now. I mean, it's useful at least. I declare this the "DS-1 Switchy Mod" :lol:

switchy mod.jpg

LowCaster, driver8 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Cheers for the techie insight! Funny, its almost like tube vs. solid state all over again...

Long time fan of MIJ Boss pedals and have always found them heaps better sonically (and less noisy -at least the time-based ones) than MIT ones... so many folks call b.s. on there being a difference tho seems to me most of them haven't heard the old school ones. What surprises me is their lack of logic -- in that many famous artists were using these on recordings back in the day... before MIT ones existed - so what is heard on the recordings?? the old school ones....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Sweet! Think I'll do the same on mine... did you try the pedal after clipping the diodes and before clipping R17?

20. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Mine's MIJ, how much can you get for them these days?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.