Boss DS-1 for Chicken Pickin'/Country Guitar

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cody_J, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Hey everyone! I did a short video showing how I use the DS-1 for some tone-shaping for chicken picking and some general country guitar applications. I acknowledge that there are definitely some better pedals out there for this (I have a few personal favorites that do not include the DS-1), it's tough to argue with the price tag of these pedals, especially used -- roughly $25.

You'll notice that I don't turn the distortion knob up much at all. As most of us know, even with the distortion knob at 0, you're going to get some distortion coming through. I find that in many settings, that's enough for me, and I use the other two settings to tweak the sound from there.

Either way, while I tend to stick to a pretty clean setting, it's fun to mess around with this kind of stuff to change it up every once in a while!

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Very nice playing, good clear sound with an 'articulate sting!' Breakup

RetroTeleRod and Cody_J like this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty cool! Thanks for the video. I’ve been gassing for a DS-1 for a while now and you’re not helping.;):lol: Looks like I’m going to have to take the plunge.
    I’m curious if the model you’re using is an older one or the newer version?

bluesholyman and Cody_J like this.
  4. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you! That's what I was going for -- I don't like a ton of break up, generally speaking.

JustABluesGuy and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Do it!! Haha. They're so cheap used, it seems criminal not to have owned one at some point.

I bought mine used and have never tried to track down an exact date, but I can tell you based on the purchase date that it is not newer than around 2010ish?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks!

Cody_J likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Me neither, I usually play ( clean amps) with an always ON Blues Driver and control breakup from the guitar Volume knob.

I've never owned a DS-1, but I'm finding out in my old age ( from clips I've been hearing recently) that it can be really versatile.
    May need to get one, fool around a bit!

8. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Definitely! I honestly forgot how much I enjoyed toying around with this pedal until I pulled it back out for this video, haha. I got pretty consumed with the smaller builders recently and neglected things like Boss pedals. Shame on me, I know..

That said, I also plan on doing some videos with pedals like my Greer Soma '63, so I'm still stuck on those pedals as well. Haha.

9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I wouldn't have equated a DS-1 with chickin' pickin'. I use a Mooer Yellow Comp (previously a CS-2) and a Timmy, with a touch of slapback from a Flashback, for my country tone.

10. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

For sure! That was kind of the fun in making this video. I remember starting out, the Boss DS-1 was one of the few pedals I owned, and I had to figure out how to make it work. There are DEFINITELY better alternatives out there, but for $25ish used, it's likely a pedal that many people can get their hands on. I mentioned this in a previously comment, but I'm stuck on using preamp pedals as my main source of drive (which I don't use too much of to begin with). I LOVE my Greer Soma '63, but the Benson preamp is fantastic too!

11. Phrygian77

A BD-2 at low gain also works well for country.

12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Nice playing! Thanks for sharing it.

I have a couple of DS-1s (I bought a backup). I got my first with several other Boss pedals being sold along with a Boss pedalboard.

It did take me a while to figure out how to use it. All I ever heard and read online was that it was crap and sounded fizzy, and I the first time I had a similar experience. Then I finally found some videos by people who actually liked them, and knew how to use them.

After playing around with it a bit more (and keeping the tone low) I found that I could get quite a few good sounds out of it.

Running it into a clean amp and then diming all the knobs will sound pretty awful, but if you finess it, there are some very good sounds in there. I especially like it running into a tube amp that is close to breakup.

13. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Definitely hard to argue with that!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Such a great pedal. Excellent playing. Thanks!

15. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I 100% agree with this statement. They can sound awful if you don't spend some time learning how to dial it in. Also, while I didn't do this in the video, using the guitar's volume knob can REALLY help cut out some of that "fizzy" sound, while keeping the attributes about the pedal that you like.

Thanks so much for watching!

16. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you!!

17. Phrygian77

Thinking about this again, I've never used one, but isn't the ODR-1 kind of more of a distortion than an overdrive? It's such a popular pedal with country guitarist. It kind of makes since that a DS-1 at the lowest gain my get you in the similar territory. I may be completely wrong here, since I've never owned either of them.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Cody_J likes this.
  18. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

The guitar volume knob is quite useful too!

When I finally discovered that I could use it as more than just an on/off switch my tone greatly improved!

Telecaster88, Phrygian77 and Cody_J like this.
  19. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I'm sure there are pedal experts out there that can answer this question infinitely better than I can, but I believe you are correct that the DS-1 on its lowest setting can get into the OD's territory.

20. Phrygian77

I play county exclusively, so this is good food for thought. I pretty much have what I now consider my perfect, well nearly perfect, pedal board, but it's a fairly big board. So, for times when I need a smaller setup, I may have to get one of these and try it at practice to see how well it works for me.

Cody_J likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.