1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JayFreddy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum, jep1210! Thanks for posting. By coincidence I just got my DA-2 in today that I ordered on-line from GC. Can't wait to try it out after work. I'm going to be playing quite a bit this weekend, so I'm looking forward to hearing it with the band. (Hope I almost wet my pants too. :twisted:) I've also been wondering why this particular pedal has been discontinued. Perhaps Boss didn't want it to steal the thunder from the new DS-1X and OD-1X? That's my theory anyway.
    Happy Tone Hunting!
    Rod

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

That would be my take on it too. Especially now that they've released the Waza stuff, they probably don't want to diffuse the line too much.

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I would guess that it was just too much overlap...it is very similar to the DS-1X.

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

---duplicate post---:oops:

5. RetroTeleRod

Tell me more schenkadere. Have you tried both? Just curious.

6. AndyP4

AndyP4 TDPRI Member

I got a lil carried away recently with these pedals...
    Had to have em all.

Attached Files:

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Nice board - do those DS-1 variants stack well together?

I just checked and they are both MDP so that is probably why they sound similar....

I first thought the DS-1x was a version of the DS-1 with added hi and lo EQ controls and that the DA-2 was the digital pedal. The DS-1x did sound less processed to my ear than the DA-2 but they both sounded good too.

There is always the DS-2

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ds-2/

[​IMG]

..if you want to stay analogue and have a bit more than a regular DS-1.

8. AndyP4

AndyP4 TDPRI Member

Yeah the ds1x and ds1/ds2 are completely different beasts. Pretty much not really comparable.
    The DA2 is actually my favourite. With a lot more midrange honk than the others which are a bit scooped

JayFreddy and thefruitfarmer like this.
  9. AndyP4

AndyP4 TDPRI Member

Although the ds1x seems to clean up nicer when you roll the volume back. That makes sense tho wih less mids

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Bumping my old thread here... I now own the OD1x as well as the DS1x and the original Adaptive Distortion.

I was somewhat let down by the OD1x as it does not have quite enough gain for my liking.

I like the DS1x quite a bit, but the DA2 is still my favorite out of the three. It has a pleasant midrange hump that the other two lack.

I think I need to pull out my OD1x and work with it a bit more. Maybe in combination with a compressor for a bit more sustain...

11. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

Did you do it? How did you like it?

12. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I recently picked up the OD1-X and have been enjoying the note separation and clarity of the driven signal. I use it to drive a driven amp for a high gain sound. I was formerly using a Boss SD-1 which has a nice bass cut and a huge mid range hump. The OD1-X lacks the mid range hump and it took me a while to figure how to get a similar sound. I run the level maxed, treble to taste, gain at 9 o clock, and I turn bass all the way down. The mids on this pedal only go up with output since there is no separate mid control. I slowly turn the bass up depending on how much I need at my current volume but I typically run it really low to keep the sound tight and let the amp add the bass.

D_Malone likes this.
  13. JayFreddy

I did, and then I got another ME-80, a Wampler Paisley Deluxe, and a Tumnus Deluxe... In other words, I kinda' forget. I'm not playing with anyone right now, so I should take this opportunity to revisit these things. Thanks for the reminder!

DeepDangler likes this.
  14. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I love the OD-1x. I use it much the way you do. I don’t care for it into a clean amp, but as an overdrive it is outstanding IMO. The note separation, compression, and smooth clipping are what set this pedal apart from others. I hope they continue to utilize the MDP technology in new designs.

DeepDangler likes this.
  15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The note separation and clarity is what I love about it. The MDP technology sounds excellent and I’m exited for what boss will do with it. I’ve been considering the other pedals in the line like the Tera Echo and Multi Overtone.

Telewielder, JayFreddy and D_Malone like this.
  16. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Same. I had the CP-1x compressor for a while and it was stellar. I preferred it over the Origin Cali76 Compact, which is highly regarded. I’ve since decided that I don’t need a compressor, but it was one of the best I’ve tried.

DeepDangler likes this.
  17. JayFreddy

I also have Tera Echo and a CP-1X.

I have played through a Multi Overtone but couldn't figure out where it would fit in my music, so I never bought one... Despite the desire to own the whole collection! Lol

FWIW, The Boss ME-80 includes the Tera Echo and Multi Overtone, as well as the Power Stack and Combo Drive pedals in the preamp section.

I don't believe that the onboard compressor in the ME-80 is the CP-1X flavor, but it's a nice compressor.

It's seems odd that Boss would include the Multi Overtone and Tera Echo on the ME-80 but not the Adaptive Distortion or the CP-1x.

To my ears, the Tera Echo of the ME-80 sounds just like the stand-alone unit.

I think the Combo Drive stand-alone pedal sounds a bit more refined than the ME-80 version. The ME-80 sounds similar, but a touch more "grainy".

D_Malone and DeepDangler like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.