BOSS CS3 - is it noisy at low volume?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by VerySlowHand, Feb 28, 2020.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I'm after a compressor and have read that the CS3 is noisy, but with little further information. Is that just at higher gain, or higher volumes, or is it noisy all the time?

The BOSS is the budget option. Other thoughts are a TC E Hypergravity or Keeley Compressor Plus.

I don't want too much colour from it, more to give that 3D sort of thing, rather than the squishy stuff... if that makes any sense - suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

The CS-3 is noisey if you set the sustain at a high level. But the truth is, you don't normally need to set the sustain so high.

I wouldn't call the Boss CS-3 the "budget" option. It's still about $50 bucks used.
    The Joyo Dyna Comp is the budget option, but having owned one, I didn't feel it did anything, literally. The Boss works, and you can tell it works.

4. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Diamond Compressor or Mooer Yellow Comp. I have the Mooer and it's awesome. Although what you describe is rather objective, I think this will give you what you desire.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

My experience is similar to Switchy's. If you crank the sustain all the way up, then you'll hear some hiss. But at normally used settings...no noise.

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ This. I actually own a Diamond, a Mooer and a Boss CS-3. The Diamond is the quietest, followed by the Yellow Comp and then the Boss. As others have noted though, the CS-3 isn't bad at lower sustain settings. Haven't tried one, but I understand that the newer Boss CP-1X is very quiet.
    Optical comps like the Diamond and the Yellow Comp don't color your sound as much as other compressors might. In fact I'm currently using my Mooer on my acoustic board. It and the Diamond are both great at tone sweetening.

7. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Compressors don’t make noise. They compress the noise that’s already in the signal making it louder at the right frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

The CP-1X is noticeably quieter than my Xotic SP.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.