1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss CS2 Versus CS3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by golfnut, Feb 7, 2008.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Is the Boss CS2 a better compressor pedal than the newer CS3?

2. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

It appears to be popular wisdom on TDPRI that the CS-2 is better than the CS-3. However, I prefer the CS-3 and have used mine happily for many years; it sounds great and has been incredibly quiet and reliable.

The CS-3 has a tone control that the CS-2 lacks - this can be useful!

As usual, YMMV. I know players who have centered their entire technique around certain pieces of gear, such as an MXR DynaComp. For someone like that, anything else will seem a disappointment.

dotpc likes this.
  3. weiner71

weiner71 Tele-Meister

I have the CS-3 and liked it for a while then it seemed a little flat to me. I did the indyguitarist mod to it and it is outstanding now.

4. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

The Boss CS3 is the worst comp I've ever heard
    J

5. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

I never thought too much of the CS-3, but I did take it along as an emergency backup. As a "spare" it was never stationary on a pedal board, and got bumped one too many times, I guess. One of the pots broke off (looking at them they seem to be very light duty type components) and I never bothered to replace it.

6. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Finally...

Here's my take on the whole sordid affair.

7. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Ditto!

I've been led to believe that my CS3 wasn't "good enough"...so I traded it in for the Dynacomp. THEN I realize that it wasn't the pedal, it was the man using it! :D
    Seriously, I play in 2 bands with an 18-year old "wunderkind", and HE uses a Boss CS3...and his tone is GREAT!!!

dotpc likes this.
  8. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I have a Dynacomp as well, but find it to be hopelessly "mushy" when compared with the CS-3.

What I like about the CS-3 is that it can retain the "bite" of the guitar while still providing limiting/compression. With the Dynacomp, the sound is super smooth and warm, which isn't really very usable to me unless I am using a lot of distortion (which is rare).

You are absolutely correct that, as always, it is the player that makes the difference!

9. Hucklebilly

Hucklebilly Tele-Holic

Indyguitarist mod +1

Me too. Got the pedal for $40 on Ebay modded it and it sounds great.

10. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

I've got a Dynacomp and like it, but it sucks so much tone when it's off and I understand it's difficult to mod it for true bypass. I'm thinking about a CS3 (which would also fit nicely on my Boss pedalboard). Any opinions from CS3 users about the tone-sucking when the pedal is off? I know Boss stuff isn't true bypass...

11. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

The CS-2 is more subtle certainly. Better? That is entirely subjective like a lot of this stuff. I have both and use the CS-2 more because I prefer the sound if that helps.

12. WrapAround

WrapAround Tele-Holic

I never liked CS-2. I do have a CS-3 that I really like but it's modded, so that's not a fair comparison.

13. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Minimal tone suckage

The CS-3 uses the same switching circuit as all the BOSS pedals, and so behaves just the same when switched OFF as all the rest.

All the BOSS pedals use a unity gain FET front end as part of the switching circuit. The result is a very consistent sound with a constant load on the guitar of 1Meg ohm, even if several pedals are chained together.

The Dynacomp uses a classic mechanical switch arrangement that changes the OUTPUT only, leaving the electrical load on the guitar in place at all times. If you daisy chain several effects this way, the load on the guitar gets worse and worse; there is no buffering.

The upshot is that the CS-3 doesn't suck tone at all. However, your signal is always passing through a little FET "source follower". As far as simple transistor circuits go, that is about as neutral as you can get.

dotpc likes this.
  14. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I love my CS3 with 1/2 open WA-Wah for slide especially learned that trick from the guys with Little feat - Bonnie Raitt too.

dotpc likes this.
  15. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Me too ! :D

16. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Many thanks, this makes a lot of sense - I bought a CS-3 and a/b'ed it with my (late model) Dyna Comp and like the CS-3 better. It's more transparent and all-around a more versatile pedal. Even at minimum "sensitivity," the Dyna Comp still squashes the heck out of the signal.

dotpc likes this.
  17. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

compressors..

I have been through a bunch of them--Keeley,CS-3, CS-2,Barber Tone Press, Maxon CP101 T rex Comp Nova, Analogman ??--I think that's it. The Maxon has always been my favorite, but I recently switched to a Goodsell Super 17 amp and I like my old CS-2 with it, so it's back on my board.

I never liked the CS-3. The Maxon is the quietest and most transparent. But the CS-2 has a smoothness that can't be beat for me.

Like a lot of you, I don't/can't play at a high volume. Even in my cover band, we mike everthing and try to keep the stage volume down(way more control of your overall sound that way). I run at a volume equivalent to a Deluxe on three or four. For me a compressor is as must. Hope this helps...

18. LarsMartin

LarsMartin Tele-Meister

I've been using a CS-3 for 6 months now. I saw that some preferred the CS-2 but at the time I couldn't find any for sale. Two weeks ago I was lucky to find one. My oh my! -playing country with the CS-2 you instantly hear a better sounding compression (gooble gooble - but you know what I mean) - its so sweet. I will never go back to CS-3.

19. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I have both the CS-2 and CS-3. I prefer the CS-2, although CS-3 gets me in the ballpark and is more than acceptable to me. My limited skills do not allow me to be much of a cork-sniffer...

20. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

With Boss, everyone seems like like the earlier models best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.