1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss CS-3 Humphrey Mod

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitapik, Mar 6, 2014.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been building my compact board for a couple of years now and really dig it:

[​IMG]

I've posted the board on some other sites and gotten some negative comments about the CS-3. I'm not crazy about the stock pedal, but I sent it to Mark Humphrey for his "Atom Smasher" mod when I first started setting the board up and it's stayed on ever since.

Today I decided to check out some of the frontrunners in the compression world. I went to a great shop with a big selection and brought along the CS-3. Time for an A/B test. I'd recently sold some gear, so if I found something I liked a lot better, I was set to buy it.

I checked a bunch of them out. In the end I realized that I like the CS-3 best. Not as a put down to the others at all, btw. They really are great compressors. No hype necessary. It's more a bow to Mark for the mod of this CS-3. It's got a beautiful warmth to it and, with the right balance of the knobs you can go from great transparency to awesome concentrated squish. And it's fantastic with an OD.

I'm used to this pedal, so I know how to get the sound "right". And chances are good that I'd be happy with any of the others I tried once I got to know it. But Mark's mod makes this into a serious compressor sustainer. I'm really happy with it.

http://www.humphreyaudio.com

2. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I like the CS-3 too and I've played Keeley, Wampler, and MXR (Dynacomp, Custom Comp) compressors. I just like the squish and the fact its got a tone knob.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.