Boss Blues Driver or Tube screamer?

Okieactor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The use case for each pedal is different.

An OCD is basically a flat EQ pedal and the Blues Driver is pretty flat too. For this reason, I’d recommend not combining those 2, because a TS circuit gives you options for stacking that would fit more of a typical band situation (OCD is your foundation, kick on the TS with low gain to cut through, as one option).

But it’s your choice. Blues Drivers are awesome.

+1 on Keeley Phat Mod (one of my top pedals, even though it also may not give you much mids to cut through if you play in a band)
+1 on using an EQ pedal because that can be a flat boost, mid boost, treble boost, or a second flavor to your existing overdrive (or clean tone).
There is a BB Preamp+ that has a freaking amazing “boost” as the 2nd channel, which I think is actually better than the BB side.
And +1 that the SD1 (or maybe a Fulltone Fulldrive) are additional options that are mid-forward but not tubescreamers.
Or if you want a TS, but don’t want to be limited to a tone that has a very weak low end and an obvious mid hump, your options would include the Green Rhino, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD (Gold pedal), or Truetone Route 808, all of which are TS circuits with the ability to control more frequencies. And I’m sure there are others.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
The use case for each pedal is different.

An OCD is basically a flat EQ pedal and the Blues Driver is pretty flat too. For this reason, I’d recommend not combining those 2, because a TS circuit gives you options for stacking that would fit more of a typical band situation (OCD is your foundation, kick on the TS with low gain to cut through, as one option).

+1. If you use the OCD as you base tone and intend to keep it on you board then another flat freq response OD may not be the best option to pair with the OCD. You may want to look for a boost of some kind, or at least a pedal that has more pronounced mids in its eq.
For a TS type, the EQD Plumes is nice, it gives you a TS sound with a switch for a couple of different variations.
A Klon type can do the same kinda thing, just a different flavor of mids. TSs emphasize 600-800htz while Klon types tend to emphasize +/-1000 htz.
Either type can be used to push your OCD into more gain or afterwards to boost volume and shape the eq.

Or you could go for a Nobels. The character of the distortion is smoother than an OCD or BD2 and I really like the way it compresses and feels under the fingers. Id call it broadly mid humped. It retains way more bass than a TS and its smoother sounding to my ears. The new ODR-1 has a bass cut switch if you need it, and engaged it becomes more TS-like.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Weighing back in after testing the Mooer Blues Mood, my first BD2 with the "phat" switch. Good lord, this thing kicks serious ass from killer boost to classic rock to full-on sludge.

WAY more versatile than any TS and sounds WAY better at home volumes. Buy one.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
The other day I picked up a minty pre-SMD BD-2. Chiogtr4x's posts got me interested. Back when I joined TDPRI, the BD-2 was getting a bad rap for splattery gain, uneven decay and a weak tone control. I've modded several. All true but if you keep an eye on the gain and use the guitar's tone control, it's a heck of a pedal. Thanks Chio. I think I'll lrave this one stock.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The other day I picked up a minty pre-SMD BD-2. Chiogtr4x's posts got me interested. Back when I joined TDPRI, the BD-2 was getting a bad rap for splattery gain, uneven decay and a weak tone control. I've modded several. All true but if you keep an eye on the gain and use the guitar's tone control, it's a heck of a pedal. Thanks Chio. I think I'll lrave this one stock.
Sure!
I think once I figured out ( many years ago, now) that leaving my BD-2 ON, and just working clean <> dirty dynamics from my guitar Volume knob ( rather than kicking the pedal ON, from a 100% clean amplifier), and it sounded good- it was a 'just trust your ears moment' for me; a confidence builder.
Just made me comfy with my sound. It kind of just let any guitar's inherent tone ( the pickups/ combinations) all come out...

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Mine sounds righteous through a clean Quilter 101. Haven't tried it through my 5E3 Proluxe yet. I think we both use the same approach. I've been riding the knobs with SD-1 and Blues Breaker pedals for years. The BD is a welcome change.

Hiker

Poster Extraordinaire
TS, write that down!!! :) I'm still enjoying this Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive.
It is surrounded by a clone- GGG Green Russian, and Ibanez AM-83.
43358-5dd26923f610c111fe3b45edf6272f72.jpg

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Blues Driver or electroharmonix Soul Food

Is the EHX Soul Food ( Klon clone-style correct?) similar-sounding to a Blues Driver?
I guess I'm asking if Klons/clones are similar to Blues Drivers, or is that generalizing?

( I use both a BD-2 and Tube Screamer, like both)
Thanks!

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
Is the EHX Soul Food ( Klon clone-style correct?) similar-sounding to a Blues Driver?
I guess I'm asking if Klons/clones are similar to Blues Drivers, or is that generalizing?

( I use both a BD-2 and Tube Screamer, like both)
Thanks!
No. To me the BD-2 and Soul Food are nothing alike. The BD-2's eq curve is much flatter. You can really put a nose on the tone with a SF, like you can with a TS, but different.

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
Hi everybody, stupid question perhaps, but I’m asking it anyway. Is my Maxon OD-808 considered a TubeScreamer? I use it for a nice little kick with my telecaster into a Fender Princeton Reverb amp. Would the BD-2 be a good choice to go with my Maxon as is being discussed on this thread?

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I
Hi everybody, stupid question perhaps, but I’m asking it anyway. Is my Maxon OD-808 considered a TubeScreamer? I use it for a nice little kick with my telecaster into a Fender Princeton Reverb amp. Would the BD-2 be a good choice to go with my Maxon as is being discussed on this thread?
I would consider it as a Tubescreamer although I think people usually think of the TS-9. I got a Maxon OD-9.

I have a Keely modeded BD-2. They are very versatile; I usually use mine for a transparent boost.It doesn't cut any lows. I have a PRRI and I think the Tubescreamer and EHX Soul Food are my favorite for that all. The BD-2 works as a neutral overdrive or clean boost; I just prefer the other two pedals I mentioned earlier for overdrive.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
Yes, and yes.

Although if you are only going to have two dirt pedals I would get something more different for the second…. Because although the TS and BD are different flavors, they both serve more or less the same function.