1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss BD-2 vs SD-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Nov 26, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi,
    I'm thinking of picking up a dirt pedal this "season".
    I play blues, rock(60s-80s-90s), and modern Praise and Worship. I really like the BD-2. It's pretty much everything I'm looking for, but I will not be able to go over about $50 for this purchase.
    My question- they are both overdrive type pedals. How similar /dissimilar are they? Through a clean Peavey Bandit, using humbucker equipped guitars, can the SD-1 approach the type of OD the BD-2 achieves wide open? Can it reach that smooth type OD the BD-2 has?
    also, I'm pretty sure the BD-2 has more bottom than the SD-1, but can I get close? Or would I be better off with the DS-1? Dial that back and roll with it?
    Also looking at Outlaw Effects Dead Man's Hand. Is that anywhere near these two pedals in terms of the overdrive it produces?
    Thanks.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

If it's the sound you're looking for, just get a used BD-2.

leonard d rock and fretwhizzy like this.
  3. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

TC mojomojo?

I think if you like the bd2, the sd1, while great, is quite a bit of a different type.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Should be no problem to find a used BD-2 for aroung $50...

songtalk and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

i used the boss super overdrive for many years with a jcm900 and it was awesome.
    then i tried it with my ac30 and it sounded a bit thin, or nasal.....not TOO bad but enough to notice. it still sounded pretty good though.
    i bought a blues driver last year and tried it both my ac30 and my ac4 and it had some nasty fizzy treble sound on the top end, and i hated it. took it back to GC after a week or two of trying to get a good sound out of it. the blues driver might sound different with a different amp....i dont know.
    out of those two i would definitely choose the SD-1.
    i dont know anything about the other pedals.
    best thing to do is to find a store with a bandit and try a bunch out to see what works.

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Consider the Hotone Skyline Blues or the Mooer Blues mood. My local SamAsh (Atlanta area) has the Skyline for $30 new. I think they were going for $50 in their day. The Blues Mood is a bit more I think... Could do the trick...

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Yea samash online has the hotone blues for $30.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Sam Ash site does not work. Drop down menus, sort by, price low to high. Only the search feature works. Does not inspire confidence

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

BTW, thanks for all the responses.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Do you have a lot of mids on tap naturally from your amp and guitar?

If so, get the BD-2.

If your rig is majorly scooped sounding, get the SD-1.

Both can be dialed in to sound smooth but the midrange hump of the SD-1 only sounds good through a scooped amp. The BD-2 will get totally lost in a mix without a nice thick mid forward rig.

Good luck!

11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Mooer Blues Mood and like it a lot. It's a clone of the BD-2 but also adds a 'fat' switch (which I seem to leave it set to most of the time) and it's a mini-pedal. I don't recall what I paid for it, but I'm thinking it was a bit more than $50, maybe $60-65. Great little pedal though.

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

At the moment Guitar Center online is showing one used BD-2 for 50 bucks and two others for 60 each. ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  13. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yep, but if you pay shipping and their "handling fee" for used gear you just as well buy new. Considered that option until I tried to buy and the cart told me there was a handling fee.

14. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have time. It will likely be around the 20th of December, close to Christmas, before i can order. I'm looking at the Boss offerings, TC Electronics Dark Matter and Mojomojo, and Outlaw Effects two offerings in OD, and Modtone's Classic Valve Distortion.

15. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Good advice so far in. I tried a ds-1 into the clean channel of my peavey bandit and it sounded unpleasant to my ear.

I tried my boss od-3 and it sounded great. Od-3 is similar to bd-2 but with a fatter grind too it.

Try the pedal with a bandit and see what you like.

The distortion channel varies with each generation of bandit so you will probably need to try a few pedals out to find out what works with your bandit..

RetroTeleRod and leonard d rock like this.
  16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I have the newest iteration of the Bandit, and I love the dirt channel on it. But it has a sort of mute function when you switch from clean to dirty. Very abrupt and unpleasant, IMO it makes the channel switching feature virtually unusable to me.
    In 32 years of playing guitar, I have used a dirt pedal for about 5 of those. I always used a channel switching amp, and the amp's own overdrive.
    Don't have the budget I used to, which is why my tube amps went sayonara.
    Again, thanks for all the great advice.

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Depends on the browser. I have had trouble with the site in some browsers, not others.

18. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, I'll try a couple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.