1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BOSS Auto-Wah???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Mar 3, 2021.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Any good, as these things go?

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Eh... it’s fine as an automatically triggered wah pedal. I don’t like it as a substitute for real envelope filter sounds a la Garcia or that style. Some people say they’re the same thing. They don’t sound the same to me. For that you’re better off with a Q Tron. I also got really good results by using the current MXR Bass Envelope Filter on guitar. Sounds great.

erratick likes this.
  3. E5RSY

Thanks. Looking for a gift for someone. Sounds like I don't want to drop this one on them.

I bought one of the reissue DOD 440s when DigiTech was closing them out last year, but I ain't giving that one up.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have one on my MD500, along with
    a T Wah. Dialed in correctly, it's not bad, but nowhere near as good as a regular old Cry Baby. But, since I don't wah much anymore, I don't really care, and I use the auto wah.

BTW, I always change the frequency of the Cry Baby by removing the nylon rack spring and tweaking it a little lower then replacing the spring. Sounds better to me

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I've got one and it's fine for the purpose for which I use it: Adding some funk when needed to rhythm playing.

If I used it more often or for lead playing I'd probably go for a Q Tron or a Micro-Tron--the Micro-Tron iv is probably the closest thing being manufactured today to the old Mutron III. The "gold" version is supposedly identical to the Mutron pedal from the 70s.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

envelope filters trump auto wahs but they are hard to trigger with single coils

erratick likes this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

So, the two best that I have found of that sort are the Source Audio Spectrum (lots of sounds, easy to trigger with single coils), and the AnalogMan Block Envelope pedal (again great sounds, not to hard to set up.

8. E5RSY

Agree. I have that DOD 440 and an old Ibanez AFL.

9. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I like my AW-3. Not as good as my MXR Envelope Filter, but still fun. I like the down mode.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.