Boss 3-pedal board (BCB-30 or 30X) - which three pedals?

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I’ve realised that I asked almost the same thing months ago (what happens when things bounce around in your head - you don’t know if you’ve actually said them or just thought them). Anyway, it’s Friday evening (here in the UK) - you have your Telecaster, you have your amp (but it doesn’t have reverb or tremolo or any other effects) and you have your Boss BCB three-pedal board: which three Boss pedals (that you don’t necessarily have right now) would you put in it, and what are you aiming to achieve?
I’m going with BD-2 (drive) > FRV-1 (reverb) > TR-2 (tremolo). I’m in my usual fuzzy/surfy garage kind of place, so I think these will give me everything I need (we’ll tune the guitar the old-fashioned way).

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve realised that I asked almost the same thing months ago (what happens when things bounce around in your head - you don’t know if you’ve actually said them or just thought them). Anyway, it’s Friday evening (here in the UK) - you have your Telecaster, you have your amp (but it doesn’t have reverb or tremolo or any other effects) and you have your Boss BCB three-pedal board: which three Boss pedals (that you don’t necessarily have right now) would you put in it, and what are you aiming to achieve?
I’m going with BD-2 (drive) > FRV-1 (reverb) > TR-2 (tremolo). I’m in my usual fuzzy/surfy garage kind of place, so I think these will give me everything I need (we’ll tune the guitar the old-fashioned way).
This is what has worked for me for over 20 ( maybe 25 years) with my Boss 3-pedal board :
- my ( always ON) Blues Driver is actually on the floor 1st, before the Boss board

- then Boss Tuner> Boss CE-5 Chorus or Tremolo ( I just pick one, for gig) > DD-3 ( slapback)> clean combo amp w/Reverb

- plug 1-Spot adapter into Power IN of Tuner, the daisy chain into Power OUT, to power all other pedals
* remarkable how long this has worked for me; very reliable/simple, and the sound I want to hear, yay!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
@HolmfirthNJ, those would be my 3 as well. BUT if I couldn’t get my hands on those three, I’d go SD1 -> RV5 -> DD8.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Note: BTW you can use a Blues Driver ( in a pinch) as a pretty decent Fuzz:

- crank Gain knob
- crank Tone knob
- put BD-2 Level wherever you need

> turn Tone knob OFF, on whatever pickup you are going to use
= FUZZ!
Yes, that was my thinking - I’ve never really liked overdrive pedals as such, but I’ve recently been experimenting with the BD-2, enjoying getting it fuzzy 🙂

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I used a BCB-30 for years. It was a TU-2 > AnalogMan modded SD-1 or modded TS-9 > Dyna-Comp > Vibrolux.

Towards the end of that era I put the Tuner first on the floor and ran SD-1 > Dyna-Comp > Micro-Amp.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, that was my thinking - I’ve never really liked overdrive pedals as such, but I’ve recently been experimenting with the BD-2, enjoying getting it fuzzy 🙂

Honestly I like the BD-2's cleanup so much that I just turn it ON, put all knobs ( ex.) at NOON, and just ride my guitar Volume knob
- I set my amp volume ( clean) so I am getting a loud enough ( for gigs) clean tone, with guitar volume knob at 1/2 ( pedal ON) and then roll into overdrive as I turn up the guitar.

-I set BD-2 pedal Gain knob to how much distortion/sustain I want to hear when I actually turn guitar all the way up
( this just works better for me that kicking on an OD pedal, more natural & controllable)

SomeAverageGuy

TDPRI Member
BluesDriver (BD-2) -> Flanger (BF-2) -> Delay (DD-3)

I have amp reverb, but even if I didn't...I'm not sure I'd miss it. I don't vary my reverb much and when playing live I use even less of it than I do in my living room. My Twin Reverb has tremolo (vibrato?) and I rarely use that function, unless I'm goofing around. I learned to play guitar in the 1990s, so I can't be without a Flanger. And I'm a mediocre lead player, but throw some Delay on there and it sounds like I know what I'm doing. ;)

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Honestly I like the BD-2's cleanup so much that I just turn it ON, put all knobs ( ex.) at NOON, and just ride my guitar Volume knob
- I set my amp volume ( clean) so I am getting a loud enough ( for gigs) clean tone, with guitar volume knob at 1/2 ( pedal ON) and then roll into overdrive as I turn up the guitar.

-I set BD-2 pedal Gain knob to how much distortion/sustain I want to hear when I actually turn guitar all the way up
( this just works better for me that kicking on an OD pedal, more natural & controllable)
Yes, feels like the difference between Jimi Hendrix riding the guitar volume with a Fuzz Face (which I feel more in tune with personally) and 90s bands kicking on a Rat or DS1 (which I never got at the time but do understand more now). Thanks for the recommendations for how to approach it with the BD-2.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, feels like the difference between Jimi Hendrix riding the guitar volume with a Fuzz Face (which I feel more in tune with personally) and 90s bands kicking on a Rat or DS1 (which I never got at the time but do understand more now). Thanks for the recommendations for how to approach it with the BD-2.
Sure,
A lot of my 'method' with a Blues Driver is that it just puts out the right sound (.maybe similar to a cranked-up Fender amp?), that doesn't need a whole lot of distortion, so much as a complimentary breakup plus sustain sound ( no drastic change to EQ) to a cleanish Fender amp.
I play old R&R, Blues, Country ( all on the cleaner side), so this way just works great.

If I play some harder Rock ( for me that's like Bad Company, Joe Walsh, Skynryrd- just examples), I will add a cheap Rat clone into the mix ( at a high Gain setting/ Blues Driver ON) that gives me real distortion, but.easy to control the volume.

This is all very basic, not very refined or huge sounding

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I depends on a lot of unknown (by me) factors.

What amp?
What genres?
Rhythm or lead?

Not knowing these things, I would go with a drive pedal or boost, some kind of modulation pedal and a delay or reverb pedal.

Last edited:

Plaid Sabbath

TDPRI Member
A BCB with 3 pedals is my daily driver. 🍻🍻🍻

391190CB-D779-4BAE-AA52-139C27822A18.jpeg