Boring Song Sundays

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
I’m wondering what other folks do on really boring song Sundays where your being there is pretty much superfluous. I ask, because every year, the first Sunday of Advent is essentially a classic hymn done in a pretty much classic form pair of services. I like the hymns just fine. But, really, the arrangements are made for Organ (alone). I show up because I made the commitment. Our percussionist refuses to come on that weekend, since his input would be so basic….

Any thoughts?

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I put on some reverb or slight delay , play clean and try to add something …..and try ,try to stay engaged. Not easy though.

Or wait until Amazing Grace and add a nice solo for one of the verses just the way Jimi would have done.:eek:

Last edited:

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
I say show up...... and sing. Those old hymns were most likely written for voices. Immerse yourself in the text, and the scriptures they come from, and you may develop a new appreciation for them.
They may be boring to you, but they are sure to be somebody's favorites. Find them and find out why.
Show up and sing. It will make you a better musician, and it's great practice for Heaven.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Seriously I look forward to Christmas every year because of the old classic carols and what we can do with them in arrangements. Been wanting to do a Christmas CD for years.
Examples

Last edited:

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
I love playing the melody line;
Perhaps there's room for a descant on last verse or chorus.
Christmas hymns I've heard them all my life, they're such a joy to play:)
Same here.
Many of the traditional Christmas songs lend them self so well to rock guitar in particular.
Couple examples

Couple clips from an old friend of mine and his One Silent night annual Christmas concerts

This in particular is simply STUNNING!

preactor

Tele-Afflicted
Christmas is Ukulele time!
20201125_101210.jpg

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
It is about worship not you.
Incredibly true. So the original question framed in that specific lens boils down to “when you feel like your efforts do not add to the worship, but you’re still requested to play, what do you do?” Or maybe stated a bit more forcibly, “When you are requested to play and you are reasonably certain that your efforts do not add to the worship, what do you do?”

Several others here have answered that question.

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
Seriously I look forward to Christmas every year because of the old classic carols and what we can do with them in arrangements. Been wanting to do a Christmas CD for years.
Examples

To me “Christmas” and “Advent’ music are different. I love Christmas, and look forward to playing those services.

And, as I noted in the OP, it is not the songs, it is the arrangements. Nonetheless, point taken.

Grenville

Tele-Meister
In the 90s I used to play electric guitar in a small ensemble with piano, trumpet and occasionally organ. Mostly hymns. It was lovely to do, and I did all the delay, volume swell, etc. stuff before that became a thing.

It's not impossible, just needs players who listen to each other and support each other. We loved the hymns but weren't tied to the oldskool way of playing them where the keyboardist takes the role of lead melody, rhythm and drives all over everything in their path.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
To me “Christmas” and “Advent’ music are different. I love Christmas, and look forward to playing those services.

Advent is its own season and calls us to deeply contemplate our brokeness and need. Maybe you should take time off playing each year you to focus on the Why of Advent before the What of Christmas.

Or maybe the worship team needs to remember it's a team and come up with some team arrangements? That's what Grenville was talking about:

In the 90s I used to play electric guitar in a small ensemble with piano, trumpet and occasionally organ. Mostly hymns. It was lovely to do, and I did all the delay, volume swell, etc. stuff before that became a thing.

It's not impossible, just needs players who listen to each other and support each other. We loved the hymns but weren't tied to the oldskool way of playing them where the keyboardist takes the role of lead melody, rhythm and drives all over everything in their path.