Borg vs. McEnroe

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EllroyJames, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Leo's

I looked for the entire program, but only found 2/3 of it. It is a great documentary that was aired on HBO called, McEnroe/Borg : Fire & Ice.

They are still close friends. Here they are at McEnroe's bachelor party in 1986.

vlcsnap-2017-09-11-11h53m15s026.png

CC Ryan and EllroyJames like this.
  2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yes, I definitely opened this thread definitely expecting...
    borg.png

3. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

I think he wanted to concentrate on partying. And other recreational pursuits not really appropriate for a top sportsman...

4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

This may be the only time the real characters are more handsome than the actors playing them. Don't actors get paid to be handsome?

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I believe that he's pretty serious about guitars. He's had that gold top forever. and has been playing since at least that ad posted above. If I ever run into John at a tennis thing or in NYC, I'll talk to him about guitars way more than tennis!
    [​IMG]

6. Telemarx

Telemarx Tele-Meister

Their rivalry was before my time, but I've seen a few of Mcenroe's hissy fits on TV and the Internet. Truth be told, I don't like the guy. I grew up playing every kind of sport available to me and one of the keystones we were taught as kids (of every sport) is to always respect the officials and your opponents. You can disagree with a decision that went against you, but you never show dissent. Shake it off and get on with the game. I would also enjoy soccer a whole lot more if almost every match didn't have at least one incident where players shouted at the referee like petulant toddlers throwing a tantrum.

Guran likes this.
  7. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Also what turns a lot of people off to soccer is the bad acting job of rolling around on the ground with fake injuries. You watch the replay and the player was never touched by the other teams player. They should be thrown out of the game and suspended

Guran likes this.
  8. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Kind of with Telemarx on this. McEnroe was not somebody I could really admire on the court except for his passion and skill. He was the young brat. Kind of annoys me that he still does advertisements playing on this. That said, I loved his style of play.

Borg, on the other hand, was cool as a cucumber and was always a class act and a gentleman on the court. Did I like him? Not so much. I saw him one time in Richmond when we had a tour event. He withdrew against John Newcombe I believe. Still remember him standing off court in a fur coat.

That said, I think Jimmy Connors was my favorite from that era. He got mad and did some inappropriate things, but he wasn't bratty like McEnroe. He was a hard worker and very willful, but the talent was there too. And when he became a seniors player, he was blowing those guys away on that tour. One of my sporting regrets was not seeing him when he came to town with the senior tour about 25 years ago. Read a book about him a few years ago and it made me admire the grit of the "Sheriff" even more.

Tennis is funny, so many greats from different eras. If I had to bet my life on one player for one match in his prime, though, I'd probably go with Sampras. Next might be Borg just because I saw him win so often.

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

And the eary voice says: "McEnroe WILL be assimulated!"

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Leo's

In theaters on 9/22/2017 (!)

untitled.png

11. CC Ryan

CC Ryan Tele-Meister

McEnroe has matured into a good man and a fine commentator. And to all those people who think tennis is boring now - have you not seen Nadal play? And Federer is still poetry in motion. How about Serena Williams?

One thing I really like about tennis is how sporting all the players are, always ready to compliment their opponents.

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a tiny Wilson in my closet. I certainly think McEnroe and Nasty changed the game. Now the only courteous games left are Golf and Bowling.

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

I think one of the reasons Borg retired so young was that he felt he wouldn't win the US open (which he never did), and so would always be denied the Grand Slam. The Grand Slam was the only remaining thing for him to accomplish. But Conner's or McEnroe always stopped him.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Leo's

I think he was finding out that there was more to life than tennis. And he accomplished a lot in a short space of time. He won five (5) Wimbledons in a row (!)

15. jwp333

And Borg did try a comeback, he had Donnay make him some new graphite rackets, but it all fizzled after 4 or 5 matches as I recall. He reached the mountain top, and I think he knew he wasn't up for another climb.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Leo's

Huh? I heard he returned trying to use a wood racket which was "old" technology.

17. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Borg did nothing else from 14 yo to the end. I remember that o lot of time he played with shots of painkillers (serious). To many tournaments a year.
    I supose the promise of one more wimbledon win keept him going....and then it lost meaning.
    Sportsfilms are rarely any good..just ask Kevin Costner

18. jwp333

My mistake, I just read one of the stories on the comeback in 1991 and they did make wooden rackets for him. I was thinking they made small headed graphite rackets for him. He really went old school.

ZackyDog likes this.
  19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I used some of borg's new Donnay wood core / graphite shell racquets, they were very cool, I loved the feel of those with gut strings.

20. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

The graphite rackets did make a huge difference.

My sister was a good player in middle school. She had a sponsor, and they
    gave her a graphite racket (Prince brand) that was oversized.

She was very small, but the racket gave her so much more power she became
    No. 1 in the state and nearly stayed that way through high school, and she got
    some scholarships.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.