Bored with my Excelsior Pro time to go

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I've had my surf green pro a few years now. Great sounding amp. Did the Tone pot mod and put my NOS tubes in to replace the Chinese ones. Love the Eminence speaker, in fact everything about it is good. But I just cannot help going back to 100 watts with 4×12s minimum. Anyway will take it to the Dallas guitar show this year and sit in the parking lot. Will give someone a good deal and get another 100 watt. It is actually green the lighting gives it this color.ATTACH=full]978503[/ATTACH]
20220429_213225.jpg

Last edited:

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Actually forgot about the guitar show and went fishing still got the Excelsior.
I'm going to say after three times it's just not much to see. A whole bunch of the same stuff and the noise is incredible. A ton of noodlers and that bass in the background, bunka, bunka, bunka, bunka. The best show there is the guy who has the therimin, he smiles and waves his hands around that thing just knowing how amazing it is and it won't be long people will forget about those stupid guitars. Believe me you're better off staying home.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
And by the way my wife says it is blue. She was with me when I bought it new because it would match my guitar, which she also says is blue. Apparently one of us is colorblind. Makes me wonder what color these walls are in the living room.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Looking at your picture I swear the green looks like what I bought years ago. The blue one, grey, and I don't know about the orange looking one. The brown is definitely brown. Go figure.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 984840

For what it's worth it looks like the Pro came in "Sonic Blue" AND "Surf Green" (SB second from left, SG second from right)

I'd agree that @Red Ryder 's is Sonic Blue.
Since I pulled this amp out and compared with the blue and the green in your picture it doesn't look like either of them. But I plugged it in and played awhile tonight. I remember why I like this little bugger now. I may be making a mistake, but if I achieve my goal then so be it.

Last edited:

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I had an Excelsior Pro and it was a great sounding amp. I sold mine and looking back I probably shouldn't have. I could never get past the fact that it had a tremelo (which I found unusable) rather than a reverb. It still sounded really, really good.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I had an Excelsior Pro and it was a great sounding amp. I sold mine and looking back I probably shouldn't have. I could never get past the fact that it had a tremelo (which I found unusable) rather than a reverb. It still sounded really, really good.
Same for me, the tremolo actually made me feel nauseous through that 15" speaker!!

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
Same for me, the tremolo actually made me feel nauseous through that 15" speaker!!

Really? I really like it.

It was one of the specs that mede me think on it, try it and buy it... has tremolo and NO reverb... YES!!!

By the way @gimmeatele ... you may be able to see it in two weeks near your place

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I have an old SS Gibson G10 from 1971 that has tremolo. You can really slow the speed down and it is really nice. I was told the Excelsior can be slowed down by changing the capacitor on the pot to twice the value. Could be worth a try, the way it is now is obnoxious.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I have an old SS Gibson G10 from 1971 that has tremolo. You can really slow the speed down and it is really nice. I was told the Excelsior can be slowed down by changing the capacitor on the pot to twice the value. Could be worth a try, the way it is now is obnoxious.
It was sold when I moved to Spain, but I still miss that amp, may look at another
with a mind to a mod 👍

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I cannot imagine getting rid of my Excelsior. I did the tone switch mod, NOS RCA tubes in her, and a vintage 1959 Jensen P15R. I liked the stock speaker fine but when I put that old Jensen in her, oh baby... she's super sweet. I've got the same color as yours too man ;)

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I cannot imagine getting rid of my Excelsior. I did the tone switch mod, NOS RCA tubes in her, and a vintage 1959 Jensen P15R. I liked the stock speaker fine but when I put that old Jensen in her, oh baby... she's super sweet. I've got the same color as yours too man ;)
Yep, also swapped the tubes out with NOS RCA 6V6 and 7025s in the pre amp. I like the Eminence but also have a 15" JBL in an old Fender cab I plug into once in awhile. Great sound. The JBL K140 takes some of the bite out.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Yep, also swapped the tubes out with NOS RCA 6V6 and 7025s in the pre amp. I like the Eminence but also have a 15" JBL in an old Fender cab I plug into once in awhile. Great sound. The JBL K140 takes some of the bite out.

Right on! I actually came across one of these not too long ago where someone had stripped the tolex off of it and tweeded it instead! Talk about beautiful! I wish Fender had offered it in lacquered tweed. I'd have paid extra for that! ;)