1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bootstrap soapbar question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MLHull, Apr 22, 2021.

1. MLHull

MLHull Tele-Meister

I have been looking at Bootstrap's soap bar pickups, the ones with rod magnets. I am thinking these are better served with 250k pots. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Ask the maker, he's been good about answering email when I've ordered from him. Seems like 250 would be good, I would think 500k would be too dark. Seems to me I saw GFS made a p90 harness with 350k pots.

3. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Good question! I’d personally start with 500K pots, unless you already have the 250k pots installed.

MLHull and mkdaws32 like this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

What i do is get 500k, then solder a 470k resistor to ground and the other end to the input lug when i want to try 250k or better yet to a small switch that then goes to the input lug so you can switch back and fourth from 500k to 250k and instantly hear which you prefer. Then you can leave the switch and just set it to your preferred position or remove it altogether if u decide 500k is best or leave it if u prefer 250k. I tend to prefer 500k with P90's but not in every instance. I think P90's in a fender is more subjective than a bison where to my ear at least a 500k seems to always be best.

5. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

That's backwards. Normally, the higher the pot value, the brighter it is. I'll spare you the technical explanation.

Steve Holt likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's all up to individual preference and the particular guitar.

7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

You're absolutely correct, brain fart on my part- thanks for the correction

8. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

This. I bought a set of those for a guitar that I built last summer. I used 500k pots and the pickups don’t sound even remotely harsh or too bright. They actually sound absolutely AMAZING. My first set of Bootstraps and I’ve bought 3 other sets since then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.