Bootstrap P'ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by '51 geezer, Feb 28, 2020.

1. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I have heard some good things about these pickups, and the price point fits my meager budget. I have a S/X Strat copy. It has Fender Tex-Mex in the neck and middle, with a GFS "Texas Wound" something or other in the bridge. It sounds pretty good. But I'm thinking of going with a change to the bootstraps. If I like them, I'll probably think about adding them to my MIM Tele. I am considering the '54 Vintage Pro set or the Golden Ale set. I play mostly covers of Classic Rock, 50's-60's Rock, a little bit of Old Country (Haggard n Jones era), with a couple of originals.

I'm wondering if I will get a significant change from current setup, and if so, what should I expect from these two pickup "recipes" as they call them.

I know y'all haven't heard my guitar, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bootstrap and nojazzhere like this.
  2. jungebez

jungebez TDPRI Member

I've had the '54 Vintage Pro set for a few months now. I play about the same music as what you listed and these pups are great. Authentic and classic tone and overall just a great value for the price. The only thing that I might change or do different is try the sparkle set. I have a set of Mojotone Rene Martinez Texas pups that are A3/A5 combo and they are incredible.

3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I have 54 Vintage Pros in the neck and middle of my strat and love them, also the customer service is great. They can take a little bit to ship, but it’s worth the wait. I’d rather give my business to a dude making pickups in his garage that answered my questions and seems to genuinely care any day of the week even if it might take a little longer.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've been touting Bootstrap Pickups for some time now. I first tried their Palo Duro set in what was then my #1 gigging Telecaster, and was VERY impressed. I used one of their Strat-style in the middle on that guitar. (Nashville style) THEN....when I assembled my latest Tele, I went with the Bootstraps Pretzel set, and I think they're even better than the Palo Duros. Ryan (at Bootstrap) has always been very helpful when I had questions, and I'm completely sold on his quality, pricing and customer service. I have NO affiliation with Bootstrap, other than as a completely happy and satisfied customer. I know there are LOTS of great pickups available, and Bootstrap is definitely one of them, and at prices that blow many competitors away.

Bootstrap, Ronzo and jungebez like this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I say buy 'em. Sooner the better, because there can be a bit of a wait. (edit! The wait isn't terrible, I think mine arrived about a week after they were expected to, so maybe 2 weeks total, but I can be an impatient fool) They're good pickups for sure. I have a set in my Tele. And I would have bought a set for my jazzmaster had I known he was making jazzmaster pickups at the time.

Don't tell the guy at Bootstraps this, but I can't wind a set of my own pickups for what I can buy them for from him.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. nojazzhere

A couple of replies have said something about having to wait a while for Bootstraps to deliver. I'm sure this can happen with any small, "Mom and Pop" operation like Ryan has, but I have to say my personal experience ( buying four sets plus a couple of individuals) has been very quick. I believe demand has gotten so heavy, that Ryan can't "get ahead" and have sets sitting on a shelf....he's shipping 'em out as fast as he can make 'em.
    When he has a minute, Ryan sometimes comes on here with great information. Maybe he'll weigh in on this one. ;)

Bootstrap and Steve Holt like this.
  7. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

I recently installed the golden ale set in my MIM strat. These are very high quality pickups, but they might be different from your traditional strat sound. Namely, because the neck and middle pickups use Alnico 2 (and b/c I went with the flat pole piece option), the attack is softer than what you may be used to.

The pickups sound very rich, almost like there is more reverb or harmonic swirl. This is likely placebo, but I don't remember the guitar sounding this rich with the original ceramic pickups. The EQ also changed from more mid focused to V shaped.

The rear pickup does not feel very high output even though it is supposedly a higher wind Alnico 5 pickup. This may be because I didn't adjust the height correctly. Nonetheless, the output basically seems the same from the front to rear, and only the tonality and attack characteristics change. The rear pickup has more percussive attack, but it still sounds sweet.

The neck and middle almost never get harsh. I would not say the pickups are muddy (the neck pickup seems brighter than my palo duro neck pickup) but the softer attack and rich sound threw me off for a bit and I thought the neck pickup was muddy when I first installed the pickup. Nonetheless, I play mostly on the neck pickup!

This may be true for all strat pickups, but the 2 and 4 positions sound incredible.

I also have a tele with Bootstrap Palo Duro pickups in it, which I love. I used to exclusively play this tele when my strat had its original ceramic pickups in it, but after installing the Golden Ale set I have to say I like the strat clean sound a bit more than the tele clean sound. If the tele is sweet, the strat is rich sounding.

If you are interested in the traditional, classic strat sound, you'll probably enjoy the 54 set more. If you are interested in a different sound with softer attack, maybe similar to an old pickup that has lost its magnetism, you may enjoy the Golden Ale set.

To get an idea of what the 54 set sounds like, you could check out clips of Fender 57/62 or CS 69 pickups, as they are similar style pickups. To get an idea of what the Golden Ale set sounds like, you should check out the Lollar Blonde or Dirty Blonde pickups, as they are the most popular pickups made in the style of the Golden Ale set.

I also recommend not changing your pickups because you like the sound already, but Bootstrap pickups are cheap enough that you won't be taking too much of a financial hit even though you don't like them.

Bootstrap and Steve Holt like this.
  8. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

I really appreciate all the kind words!

Regarding the wait times - we’re always making a push to get ahead, and usually as soon as we do we get another round of orders. Which is good news!

Just a heads up, we’re expecting some even longer lead times on shipping new orders. Where as ideally we would be shipping within 5-7 business days, it’ll likely be a 10-12 business days. Current orders are being filled mostly on schedule. A small, brief supply interruption from overseas suppliers have dropped some new customers into our order queue. Business is booming on our end which is great, it’s just a matter of meeting the short term spike on demand.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    nojazzhere and Steve Holt like this.
  9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Okay some more notes on the lead times....

I wasn't complaining as much as pointing it out. My problem is I get so excited about stuff coming in the mail that I get impatient. Then it shows up and I'm not ready for it. In the case of the pickups I was ready for them and eagerly awaiting their arrival. I got them installed immediately, then I had to make a new nut for the Tele, and cut the high e string too deep and just let it sit there for another 6 months. I still haven't fixed it.

So again not complaining at all. And I think the set I ordered showed up about a week after they were supposed to. So not terrible at all and I should have put that in my original post.

Great product though. Glad to see Ryan on here chiming in.

10. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Oh I know! Never took it as a complaint, just wanted to address the topic since we do have our weeks where things take a bit longer to ship and this more recent uptick in orders is looking to be one of those times. Thank you for your order! :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

My squeaky cleans are currently winging their way across the pond to the UK. Cant wait, they're going in a kind of Tele deluxe partscaster that previously had a set of fairly generic P90s in it.
    It's all stripped down ready for them

emisilly and Bootstrap like this.
  12. nojazzhere

OK, Ryan.....enough talkin'! Time to get back to the winding machine or making bobbins, or whatever you're behind on. ;) (just kidding around)
    BTW....I got ANOTHER compliment on how good my guitar sounded on a gig a week ago. It's the one with the Pretzel set. I wish he'd said my PLAYING sounded good, but I'll take it anyway. ;)

emisilly and Bootstrap like this.
  13. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks to Ryan from Bootstrap for weighing in! I think I will soon order a set of the 54's. And the wait time is not critical to me. It may be a month before I get the motivation to change 'em out. Especially since, right now, I'm playing my Tele most of the time. But, I'm a strat guy at heart and I will have to feed that jones sooner or later. Adding new p'ups will also motivate me to play more.

Thanks again everybody!!!

nojazzhere, Steve Holt and Bootstrap like this.
  14. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I also have a set of the Sweet Serranos in a Jackson V. They serve the purpose I needed for a metal band I joined, but also sound Gibson-y enough that I can use them in another guitar down the line for any other kind of music also.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I dig em. Well made, sound great, inexpensive. What do you have to lose?

emisilly likes this.
  16. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

I bought a set of Palo Duros for my BSB Tele project. They sound incredible. Ryan was wonderful to work with. Class guy, class product. :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a set of Humbucker sized P90's that I haven't had the time to install. I just know that they'll be great.

nojazzhere, emisilly and BB like this.
  18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I'm looking forward to ordering a 54 Sparkle set when I have some extra funds available. I bought a set of Palo Doro's for Tele and Ryan original strat set back when he started.

However, both sets of pups now reside in friends guitars! Those two guitars sound fabulous as my lovely ol Tokai strat has still sits pickupless. Oh well.... my friends are happy and while I'm waiting for a few extra $, I'm happy that they are so freaking happy with the tone of their guitars.

If I had the cash, I'd buy several sets of everything Ryan offers as I know they will find a home soon enough.

IMHO, Bootstraps are simply the most killer deal in quality, toneful pickups. Thank you Ryan! Keep up the fantastic work.

nojazzhere and Steve Holt like this.
  19. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Please post a review. I've been eyeing those. I currently have a set of GFS Mean 90's that I'm looking to replace (too much midrange and kinda dark).

20. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

These arrived a week or so ago, and I've just got round to fitting them in my partscaster with 500k pots and 50s wiring.
    Wow! I got in before the price increase so paid 40 dollars for the pair... Now I'm in the UK so shipping was an extra 20 dollars... And customs stung me for VAT and a handling charge which was about another 20 dollars.
    Even at around $80 for the pair i still feel like I got a massive bargain! They're bright, articulate and just sound really, really good at any price.
    A really nice middle position as well.
    Not had a chance to audition them at proper volume yet but rehearsal tomorrow, so will get the opportunity then.

Very pleased, thanks Bootstrap/Ryan... If I ever get around to another partscaster I'll probably be back for a set of standard Tele pickups

emisilly likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.