Bootstrap Pretzel Pickups review

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Keefsdad, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

The cheap ceramic pickups in my Monoprice Tele didn't sound bad, but there was quite a drop in output when switching to the bridge. Ryan sent my pickups by overnight DHL so I could get them for a gig. Unfortunately they slapped me with $17 in "processing" fees, but Ryan kindly refunded it to me.
    The new pickups are quite an improvement. The bridge is wound pretty hot, so that solved the drop in output problem. The bridge sounds nice and fat, I did lose a bit of the twang, but I don't play much country and it's better for the stuff I play. The neck pup is much clearer than the old one which was pretty muddy. The middle position sounds great. So I'm really happy with these, especially for the very reasonable price. Might get a set for my Strat.

awasson, nojazzhere, CFFF and 4 others like this.
  2. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Ryan is tremendous when it comes to customer service. I thought I had an issue with a bridge pickup he made for my jazzmaster, but it turns out I was incredibly inexperienced with jazzmasters and the pickup was fine all along. But that didn’t stop him from having me send the pickup back with him paying the return shipping, him testing the pickup, finding out it was okay but then winding a custom bridge pickup for me and mailing it to me all free of charge. His stuff is good quality, at great prices and he is totally a stand up guy. I have no problem recommending his work.

nojazzhere, Keefsdad and preactor like this.
  3. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

I'm on my third set of Bootstraps, a '54 Strat set, a Jazzmaster Lake Surfer set and the original Tele set. I love them all, I really can't say enough good things about the sound and just the whole dealing experience. I'm planning on buying more sets as the year goes on.

Keefsdad and preactor like this.
  4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I recently purchased a bridge p90 and a Tele Bridge /neck p90 set from Ryan. I have the bridge p90 installed but haven’t gotten to the other set yet.
    I am really liking the p90 so far. Ryan really went out of his way to make me some great custom spec’d Pickups. I would definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a good pickup at a fair price.

nojazzhere and preactor like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Sounds cool. If you happen to record them or get a video at your gig we would love to hear them.

Keefsdad likes this.
  6. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I'll see what I can do.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

I have my pretzel pickups on the way, I’ll be sure to post about them here when I get them installed! Really looking forward to trying them out, if they’re as good as everyone says then I’ll definitely be ordering more sets.

nojazzhere and Keefsdad like this.
  8. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I can't help wondering what inspired Ryan to call them "Pretzel pickups". A tribute to Steely Dan, perhaps?

9. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sounds like a really nice guy compared to you two. Maybe while he was paying all the shipping for your mistake (2nd guy) with a jazzmaster or picking up a 17 dollar fee to get you a 40 dollar set of pickups overnite to another country, you could have him stop by and wash your cars while he's not busy.
    Just sounds wrong.

Bones, wblynch and responsibleadult like this.
  10. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Give me a break. He offered to refund the money. Happy New Year to you too.

awasson, drewcp and MickM like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Forgive me if I feel like sayin' "I told you so" ;)......just kidding! I'm just glad Bootstrap is getting a little of the recognition I think they deserve. Ever since I got my first set of his Palo Duro Telecaster pickups, I've been touting his product quality, value, and especially his customer service. He's also made me a couple of special "middle" position pickups in the event I go back to a Nashville configuration. I also have a second Palo Duro set for the future. I know there's lots of GOOD pickups out there, but my favorites are from Bootstrap. Thanks, Ryan.......

12. nojazzhere

You think you're kidding, Mick?......Ryan offered me a kidney if I ever needed it! :):):)

DHart, El Tele Lobo, CFFF and 2 others like this.
  13. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

All I did was email him a question. The offer for returning the pickup to test if it was defective, and the custom winding of a new pickup, and him paying shipping for everything was all his idea.

But thanks for the judgement, this place has been so nice for so long I had almost forgot I was still on the internet til just now.

awasson, nojazzhere, CFFF and 4 others like this.
  14. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Anybody have any experience with any of the Sookum 90's? I'm thinking of replacing the hums in my Agile with something P-90ish and the white covers would look good.

15. dchaynie

dchaynie TDPRI Member

16. dchaynie

dchaynie TDPRI Member

17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When somebody goes out of their way to do me a favor, then offer to pay for a service fee for a quick overnite ship or if they offer to pay shipping for my ignorance of pickup installation I don't accept just because they offer. If that's the way you guys roll, cool. Not me.
    It's that simple. I'm out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Bones and wblynch like this.
  18. nojazzhere

?????????

awasson likes this.
  19. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

If any business, small or otherwise, offers to take care of a potential issue I’ve raised in a way that amounts to or goes well beyond a satisfactory resolution, I gratefully accept their help, respect their freedom to make their own decisions regarding the level of customer service they offer and make a personal note to give the business *more* of my patronage *because* of their kindness and dedication to customer service.

But that’s just the way I roll. It’s that simple. I’m out. :D:D:D

BopT, awasson, Keefsdad and 2 others like this.
  20. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Well then, you're obviously just a vastly superior being to the rest of us:confused:

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.