1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bootstrap Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by messhead, Feb 22, 2018.

1. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Wow. Folks I bought a set of Bootstrap Pretzel Tele pickups from Bootstrap Pickups on ebay. I paid a whole $34.99 delivered to my door. Well the pickups arrived this afternoon and I am just shocked by the quality of these pickups. They are beautiful. I can't wait to get them in my Squier Surf Green Bullet Tele tomorrow. If they sound half as good as they look then they are the bargain of the year. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: They sound great.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. RedStix

RedStix NEW MEMBER!

I'm looking forward to hearing the results!

3. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

Point me towards some $35 ones!!

4. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

5. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

They're on eBay now, with the -HH designation to indicate our new bobbin styles. They are tonally identical to the Bootstraps on our website. Prices are currently $29.99-$34.99 for a limited time while we establish ourselves on that sales channel and try out the new bobbins.

We're experimenting with moving to injection molded bobbins for S and T style pickups. The benefits are significant: The bobbins are more consistent; there is no chance of a stray strand of magnet wire shorting across the poles; and most importantly, we can pre-wind coils and press the magnets afterwards according to our customer's preference for magnets and stagger pattern. That last benefit means we can have pickups ready to ship same day or next day as opposed to a week or two lead time. Vulcanized fiber bobbins do still remain available on our website.

Another update, we're also in the process of splitting off our Skookum brand. With Skookum, we'll be able to focus on new, custom, and more complex designs. Wood covers, vintage correct materials, professional retail packaging, special projects. Skookum will be a more boutique-oriented brand that does not focus as much on competing with the import pickup market, though we do still intend to offer exceptional value. As an example, we're currently working with a custom materials supplier to arrange for a run of new CuNiFe rods for WRHBs - that's just not something that we could accomplish while trying to remain competitive with the very low prices of the budget import market.

6. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Meister

I recieved my Skookum PAFs a week ago. What a fantastic set of pickups! Very balanced and articulate vintage sound. They are not so cheap like most Bootstrap pups, but materials and quality seems to be as good as the most expensive other PAFs on the market, so I consider these to be a great bargain. Super happy!

Oh, one tiny thing... The neck pickup wire could have been 1" longer. It's not too short as it is, but one extra inch would have made soldering a little easier :)

7. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Got my ebay Bootstrap Pretzel Tele pickups in my Squier Surf Green Tele and they sound great. Neck pickup is nice and warm without being muddy. Bridge pick (measured around 10.9K) is bright and gritty. Even seems to grit up some in the clean channel of my Blackstar HT20 when I really dig in. These are a hit so far. I'll know more tomorrow afternoon at band rehearsal. Only complaint I might have is I don't like the oval headed screws. Would prefer some pan head screws. And springs instead of rubber tubing. But that's just my preference. I can probably round up some different screws and some springs.

PS. Does anyone know what size screws these are?

RedStix and garrett like this.
  8. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

Any non-alnico 5 strat pups?

9. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

@waaronl Yes. I have a set of alnico 3 54 Strat pickups. They are on the website.

10. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Ran the Bootstrap Pickups through the paces today at rehearsal and as stated they sound fantastic. They are keepers.

11. LzeroKI

LzeroKI TDPRI Member

Any chance of your humbucker sized P90's being part of this lower-priced range?

12. Bootstrap

That’s one of the topics that I’ve been thinking about lately. I need to crunch some numbers to figure out how we can make that work. I don’t see the price being reduced from where it is now, we really don’t have much room there, but I’d like to see the current HB-90 pickups stay in the Bootstrap brand under a new name.

emisilly likes this.
  13. LzeroKI

LzeroKI TDPRI Member

Gotcha! I'm looking at order some of the Clean 90 HB-90's for a telecaster based on the great words here on TDPRI.

Bootstrap likes this.
  14. Bootstrap

Just a quick heads up that our market trial with the plastic bobbins will be ending this afternoon. Addressing a bit of concern that we’ve received: Bootstrap will continue offering fiber bobbins even if we move to also offering plastic bobbins.

garrett and emisilly like this.
  15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Is it more difficult winding fiber bobbins with the poles ready installed? Example, staggered poles might have different distribution of weight on the spin compared with no stagger. Is lateral movement a issue when winding pickups with poles inside the bobbin?

Bootstrap likes this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

This is something i'm definitely interested in. Please let us know when this happens.

Bootstrap likes this.
  17. Bootstrap

Good question!

It’s more due to the propensity of vulcanized fiber to curl and warp with humidity. As an example, a fiber S-type bobbin may have the bottom flatwork curl up by .25-.5mm on each end depending on the humidity that day. When that happens we have to watch the winding closely and adjust the way the wraps build to prevent the final coil from being all wonky and dumb. This in turn requires a much lower rpm and more focus. Also, lacquer pre-potting and taping the fiber bobbins does take some time.

We haven’t actually decided to move to the plastic bobbins as the standard bobbin yet, and it’s entirely possible that we’ll stick the fiber, which also has its benefits. Our -HH models on eBay were a pilot run to see how folks liked them.

garrett and CFFF like this.
  18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Thank you for this explanation. They all look the same with covers on but it is nice to receive fiber bobbins. I can appreciate them more now.

19. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

remind me again which set you have?

20. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

or you could read the original post again?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.