Bootstrap Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by messhead, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Sorry for my delayed response, I actually am traveling at the moment, but I am happy to help with your message/question. I'll follow up with you via PM immediately.

ezra1 likes this.
  2. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

Thanks

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I always like to see another business starting up to create something nice and useful. There might be lots of pickup manufacturers but some of the smaller ones are just as great as the 'big names' and often more affordable. I wish you all the luck possible in making your business a great success (without the "lorum ipsum" joke I was planning! :) )

BB and CFFF like this.
  4. klobasa

klobasa Tele-Meister

Hi, I was checking the info on 54 sparkle strat set and saw that their ohm reading is circa 5,2k. Are all of the pickups the same output or does the bridge pup have more output compared to neck (to have better balance in volume between pickups)?

5. Bootstrap

Hey @klobasa ! The standard 54 Vintage Sparkles are 5.2kOhm for all positions, but I can wind any or all of them hotter if you’d like. I’ll follow up by email since I got your message there.

Rock on,
    Ryan
    Bootstrap

klobasa likes this.
  6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Just put a pair of Bootstrap Lake Surfer pickups in my Squier J Mascis JM today. I don’t have a lot of experience with proper JM pickups (the J Mascis has what are essentially p90’s in it stock) but the difference before and after is notable. While the stock p90’s sounded like a great pair of lower output p90’s, the Lake Surfers are much more that traditional open bright Fender single coil sound without being exactly like a strat or tele pup. Reasonably quiet and they take gain well. Haven’t gotten to run them through any reverb but I’m confident this guitar would surf even better now too.

All in all, these pickups are great quality and sound like I was hoping they would. Seems like Bootstrap is the real deal. I would gladly recommend and I’ll probably be grabbing some tele pups next! Thanks!

BB likes this.
  7. Joewp

Joewp TDPRI Member

I sent them a query the other day, haven't heard anything back yet, but am getting pretty exciting about trying these guys out based on what I'm reading. To anyone's eye's, does it look like any pickup set would also fit in a Gretsch 5420 electromatic?

8. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

@Joewp Cannot help you with your question sorry but usually Ryan is very quick at responding to mail. If he is away or somehow your query has been overlooked then he will probably read this when he is logged in again and contact you here.

9. Bootstrap

Hey @Joewp ,

Thank you for your message. I’ve responded via email.

On a more general note, I get a decent number of folks looking for Gretsch-compatible pickups and that is something I’d like to do. I’ve been trying to find a reliable supplier for parts, but the components demand hefty premium from suppliers and even then bulk availability can be spotty. I’m seeing what I can do about fabricating those parts in shop, but that’s still a ways away.

Jack Clayton and DHart like this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

are the electromatic pups the same size a normal gretsch pickups?

11. Joewp

Joewp TDPRI Member

I believe that they are, they come stock with the Gretsch "Black top" Filtertron's.

12. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

I just received a set of reverse wound Pretzel pups for my homebrew Tele. When I contacted Bootstrap, I received a response instantly to my question about whether or not they could leave the neck pup cover separated from the standard ground for a 4 way switch mod. His response was to just leave a note on my order, and he would add the extra ground for me. 7 business days later, I received a text saying they were in the mail.

I got them yesterday, and stuck'm in last night. Holy crap!

The old pickups were so cheap I had to have them practically touching the strings to get a good sound. The new pups are at Fender spec distance, and hot as advertised. My favorite part is the bridge. It has all the twang you expect, but it has a warmth I did not expect.

My only complaint is I live in Columbus - a 30 minute drive from Mt Gilead, and USPS took too long to deliver! (4 days, but I am impatient)

CFFF likes this.
  13. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Great to see you are delighted with them, @DCW74. I am really happy with my Bootstrap pickups too :)

I see that Bootstrap are now offering custom pickups within a specified range of options for the customer to choose. Example one custom ST style single coil starting at only 30 dollars. At the Select Pickup menu scroll to Build Custom Pickup (advanced) + $10.00 and the options will be revealed. You can chose magnet type, polarity, stagger or non stagger, wire gauge, RWRP, wind count, wind direction, cover, potted or not potted. Similar deal for tele types too. Where else can you get a deal like this at such a price?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    fenderchamp, Bootstrap and DCW74 like this.
  14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Rose pickups, probably. If they don't have all the options on a menu, just leave him a note before finishing the order and they'll do it.

15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I have seen some very positive comments about Rose pickups. It is good to hear they can offer this level of flexibility but they are priced much higher than Bootstrap.

Bootstrap likes this.
  16. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I really wanted to try these pickups and give a fellow Ohioian my business, however after emailing and also texting with no answer I’ll just order somewhere else. I wish them well, and hope they succeed, but I needed to order pickups a week ago.

17. Bootstrap

I’m sorry you had trouble connecting with us. My communication for non-urgent inquiries for future orders is not always ideal (I’m getting better and I have never missed a message regarding customer service for an existing order such as needing a return or help with a set of our pickups). I always own up if I drop the ball, but this time I am honestly not sure what happened. I went back through my messages and don’t have any record of an email or text that hasn’t been answered in the last 10 days?

I don’t doubt that you messaged us, but I would like to figure out what went wrong here. If it’s not too much trouble, could you please message me with the date and method you tried to contact us and the phone number you tried to text us at (our number is 567-240-1343, but we don’t openly publish it due to spam callers). If you can help me figure out what went wrong, I’d be happy to comp you a set of single coils for your trouble.

Rock on,
    Ryan
    Bootstrap

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    emisilly, preactor and heffus like this.
  18. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

Got in contact with Ryan. A great guy to deal with and problem was a 3rd party error that I’m sure will be resolved. Can’t wait to get my set of pickups.

emisilly likes this.
  19. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Great prices.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

@Bootstrap I just ordered a set of the 54 Sparkle pickups and am anxious to try them.
    Reverb said that it was an option of parchment or black covers, I'd prefer parchment but the site didn't have a check box.
    Or maybe they are sold separately?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.