Bootstrap pickups: Palo Duro or ???

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grendel2000, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 TDPRI Member

I bought my first Tele a week ago - MIM Standard circa 2018. I don't love the pups but I really like everything else...

I want to replace the pups with Bootstraps because I've heard great things and want to support a small builder. I can't decide which set to get. part of me wants to stick with "traditional" Tele sound and go vintage - pointing me toward Original Recipe or maybe Palo Duro.

On the other hand, part of me says "Go MEAN!" and get pups with some extra growl like the Pretzels.

I can't decide. Any thoughts or suggestions?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

I can vouch for the Original Recipe being the “traditional” Tele sound.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you had waited a few weeks to pose this question, I would have had a more definitive answer. I'm in the process of putting together a new Tele, I'm currently finishing the body and waiting on the neck to come from Warmoth. I've assembled all the hardware (bridge, tuners, control plate, etc.) I've been using Bootstrap Palo Duros for a year or so in my #1 Tele, and I'm VERY pleased.....but two or three months ago Ryan made me a set of Pretzel Pups, and I've been itching to try them out. They will go in the new build, and I can get a comparison. Ideally, I should try them both in the same guitar, but this way will have to do. The two guitars will be "similar" but "different". The new body is super light paulownia, neck Warmoth maple fatback, conversion (24 3/4" scale) 6105 frets.....the "old" guitar swamp ash body (weighs a ton) Warmoth mahogany neck, fatback, conversion scale, 6150 frets. Both guitars will have Wilkinson bridges and tuners. But I'm really anxious to try the Pretzels. Either way....I'm sold on Bootstrap.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    drlucky, CFFF and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 TDPRI Member

Yeah, part of my decision is wrestling with whether I want a "traditional" Tele build or something with more grunt...

Part of me feels like I owe it to myself to go traditional so I can see what that's like. That said, I have Strat with fairly laid back pups (CS '69s across the board) which leads a separate part of me to want something flat out hotter.

I'm already enjoying the tonal difference the Tele brings. I just can't decide which way to go though with respect to new pups: "different/traditional" (Original Recipe), "different/but a bit hotter" (Palo Duro), or "different/GRRROWL" (Pretzel)...

They all have their own merits I suppose. I'm confident all of them are good pups, so I'm not worried about that. I guess I'm mostly looking for thoughts and input on which avenue / experience I might ought to consider...

FWIW, I don't play country - no interest there (no offense). Whatever I chose will be strictly for rock (although I do like a bit of twang!)

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

I’ve got Pretzels in a partscaster, ash body(heavy) and I love’em. Slightly twangy, lots of snap and grunt. Going to order another set for a Tele I’ve got with paulownia body. Bootstrap’s the way to go.

drlucky and nojazzhere like this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I put in an email to Bootstrap a month ago & surprisingly haven't heard back.

mistermikev likes this.
  7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

if you dont have any tele with traditional tele sound and vibe, Id go for those, and then another tele for lean mean rock machine..

you can always lower down hotter pickups and get a bit more traditional tone, and then raise it up if you change your mind..

8. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Sorry about that. We have a new messaging/chat system now on our website that’s much better. Our old email system and our communication in general was disorganized and basically terrible. I don’t believe we’ve missed anyone who has gone through our new Tidio system though, and during business hours (10AM-7PM EST) we usually answer within minutes.

If you still need assistance, please let me know through TDPRI or via our chat app and I’ll be happy to help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. nojazzhere

I see Ryan has already replied to your lack of response, but let me add.....I have contacted him a number of times over the past year and a half, and have never waited for more than a day or two for a response to an email, and never more than a few minutes for a phone "call back". After all, they're a little operation, supposedly in a garage, and they get busy.....and I appreciate that. As I've said before, I bought my first set of Bootstraps (Palo Duro) because of enthusiastic recommendations and excellent price. I've bought subsequent sets (another Palo Duro, Pretzel, and a couple of Strat-style middle p/ups) because of the super quality, excellent service and customer attention. I have no connection to Bootstrap Pickups, other than as a VERY satisfied customer. ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

With a pedal, you can get some growl out of a twangy pickup; but it's tougher to get twang from a growly pickup.

emisilly and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 TDPRI Member

Valid point, thanks for the thought!

12. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

With regards to the Palo Duro and Pretzel pickups, you can go listen to sound clips of their roughly corresponding Fender pickups, the 64 tele pickups (Palo Duro) and the Twisted tele pickups (Pretzel). I have the Palo Duro set and I enjoy the pickups immensely for how sweet and pretty they sound. I did have a bit of an adjustment period, however, b/c these are my first ever tele pickups and they did not sound like the stereotypical tele tone I had in mind (I always thought that telecasters were rude and raunchy, but these are very sweet through and through). What do you not like about your MIM pickups? If the MIM pickups are harsh/muddy/too high output the Palo Duro set might be a good change of pace from the MIM pickups. My other guitar is a MIM strat and I enjoy the fact that the two guitars have quite different tonal characteristics.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

I have a set of the Palo Duros in one of my favorite teles, they’re positively amazing

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Yes the Pretzel set is just great.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 TDPRI Member

@koolimy
    Thanks for the great suggestion on looking for videos of the '64 and Twisted sets!

I did just that and came away thinking the Palo Duro set is the clear winner for what I want...

I REALLY appreciate your input and help!

koolimy and nojazzhere like this.
  16. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words! Note, the Bootstrap pickups probably will sound different from their corresponding Fender counterparts. However, as a biased owner of a Palo Duro set, I think you'll be pretty satisfied with them if you like the sweeter sounds of the 64 set. Of course, the Bootstrap original recipe set might actually be what you are looking for:lol:! I just have no idea what they sound like.

Hope you enjoy whatever pickups you chose! Let us know your thoughts on them once you get a chance to put them into your tele.

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I'm really happy with the Pretzel oickups too, after about a year.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

yes, do consider this - when it comes to "tone" and "sound", the opinions of others means ... squat. they're not your ears, not you playing, not your guitar, not your rig. see what i mean?

this is the catch-22 about ALL pickups that you and a zillion other guitarists are looking for any "help" or way around doing what y'all need to do - hear for yerself. yep, that means both money and time. there is no way around this unless you get lucky from the get-go. get the bootstraps, think positive, and do enjoy.

preactor, nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. nojazzhere

See, this demonstrates why Ryan at Bootstrap and Rob at Cavalier (as well as Ron Kirn) are such invaluable contributors here.....they not only provide excellent products for us players, but they also SHARE and INFORM us with fair and generous advice. Thanks guys! ;)

preactor and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

And they support and encourage other builders instead of engaging in petty bickering or oneupsmanship. Props!

preactor, emisilly and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.