1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bootstrap Extra Crispy Set: Anyone have a sound clip clean/dirty (or at least clean)?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by El Tele Lobo, Jan 18, 2021.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Please post here. Trying to decide on pickups for an upcoming Esquire build.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Here you go. I quickly knocked this up a while back for a friend. I got all self-conscious trying to play something so in the end decided just to uppy-downy (& downy-downy) cycle through three cowboy chords over a drum track to give a simple sonic impression (hence the somewhat representative name I just came up with for Soundcloud).

Basically an unadulterated, untreated recording - which is somewhat problematic, as it doesn’t give justice to the sound in the flesh. Just a reverb pedal between guitar and amp, and a tape plugin in Logic set to make it sound a tiny tad more analogue.

It’s comparing the old pickups from my 50s style MIJ Tele to the new Extra Crispy set that replaced them. So, four bars alternating old, new, old, new. Clip titles should be self-explanatory & there's descriptions under each clip on the main page. The link seems to show only one clip below, but it will cycle through them, & clicking on the E Chord name will take you to the page with them all there.

Sounds like rubbish (I sound like rubbish), but does give some idea.

Edit: just noticed the link above seems to have somehow updated itself to start at another track that was added to Soundcloud later. The demo tracks can be found by clicking on the E Chord name. Sorry.

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  3. TokyoPortrait

Hi again.

Ha ha, just found this on my hard drive. Don't really remember making it. I do remember I was just being silly with the Waves Bass Fingers plugin & trying to see how it worked. So, made this nonsense track that goes round and round and on a bit too long. But, the 'created' date is Boxing Day, so it is def. the MIJ 50s Tele with the Bootstrp Extra Crispy set in it. Played direct into Logic, using Logic amp sims and Wave PRS amp sims.

Pax/
    Dean

Bruxist and emisilly like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Interestingly, I can't find the Extra Crispy set demo'd on You Tube, many others, though.....Palo Duro, Pretzel, various Strat-types. I have tried both the Pretzel and Palo Duros myself, and both my Teles now have a Pretzel in the bridge, and Palo Duro in neck......perfect combination, IMHO. ;)

Papa Rufus likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

The Palo Duro set is one of my all-time favorites ever… The other being the Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge and Fat Lion King neck.

The PD set is magnificent in every position on my four-way switch. It took me a while to get them dialed in height wise, but once I did… Oh man!

6. TokyoPortrait

Hi again.

I did another short clip, still cycling through cowboy chords, to try and give a better feel of the bridge sound (Esquire query in the OP). More representative of what I hear in the room, in a sense.

Double tracked this time, and with EQ, compression & a bit of faux analogue tape feel added in Logic. Bass and drums too, obviously.

One double tracked guitar is just guitar, reverb pedal, amp for first 8 bars, then added harmonic tremolo for the second 8 bars. The other quieter double tracked guitar comes up in the mix during the first 8 bars and has regular tremolo though the whole 16 bars. Volume and gain increases in each half are from pick attack. The tremolo darkens the sound a bit in the last 8 bars.

So, for what it's worth, this is more how I 'feel' the Extra Crispy bridge sound through my moderately cranked Vox AC4HW1 in my study - esp. if played back with a fair bit of volume on my stereo system (loud is def. more gooder in this case). Also gives more of a 'recorded' and 'in the mix' example.

Amp settings looked like this.

VoxAC4HW1andBootstrapExtraCrispyBridge 1.jpeg

Pax/
    Dean

Bruxist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.