1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bootstrap custom tele bridge is MY better fender 64

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fender4life, Apr 22, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I had Ryan wind me a A5/42AWG/7.5k bridge to replace the fender 64 i had. I liked the 64 *generally*, which is to say i like a A5 tele bridge but i felt at 6.2k or thereabouts the high mids were overbearing and the output low to the point that when i roll down the volume to get cleans it was thin sounding. I believed that if it had been wound up more that it would be perfect and figured 7.5k might do the trick, and it definately did. Not only are the high mids much less harsh but they snap and cut smoothly. It's much better balanced than the 64, i can't stress that enough. Output is just a tad more, less than i figured but i'm glad because i didn't want to lose the 64's vintage A5 vibe. Totally nailed it....all the snap, everything is there just as much as the 64 but without the imbalance between the high mids and the rest. But when i use a lot of gain it sounds better then the 64 which didn't handle gain well unless i was using a really smooth amp tone. But heres the best thing....now when i roll down the volume for those edge of distortion tones it sound great. Fuller and not thin like the 64. Thats maybe my #1 concern and this pickup nails it perfectly.

As to the quality, top notch all the way. As good as anything i have tried. I think the great thing about Ryan's pickups is not that he's some magical winder. I think the same spec from any competent winder will all be in the same ballpark. (if i am not mistaken even Rob of cavalier p/u's suggested that once) It's that when you want a certain spec he either has it or will custom wind one for you for another $10, and even then it's as cheap or cheaper then anyone else including that asian junk fro GFS. You can get what you want w/o fearing the loss of lots of $ in the process. So i now have a all bootstrap baja 60s build tele with that and a Bootstrap pretzel in the neck. Looks like for now on bootstrap will be my first stop for pickups because like i said, due to the price, quality, and the fact u can get whatever you want. Why go elsewhere?

nojazzhere, Lotek and JanOak like this.
  2. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I agree. Ryan will deliver.

mkdaws32 and nojazzhere like this.
  3. fender4life

Yep, and i think he may be delivering to me again very soon...probably gonna order another one like this one for my 69 thinline RI once i get around to trying the one i just got in it to see how it fits that tele. I'm sure glad i passed on the fralin i was considering that was the spec i had ryan wind for me. I can now buy another for my thinline and have spent $30 less for the 2 bootstraps even at $10 each more for custom winds than the single fralin would have cost me ! Then i can take that $30 and get one of his strat pickups i am considering for another guitar ! This guy is a gold mine when it comes to pickups. You just can't beat bootstrap's value.

mkdaws32 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. fender4life

By the way, this is really sensitive to pickup height. At first i liked it but wasn't quite thrilled. Once i played with height i found it sounds much better set pretty low on the treble side. It became super sweet like that. Most tele bridges i have rarely liked set that low on the treble side. In fact, i usually end up with the treble side fairly high and bass side quite low. This one sounds best low on both sides and i didn't notice the same loss of output i often do if i try that.

mkdaws32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.