Bootstrap choices to approximate a Baja

jim232777

Tele-Meister
I have a set of Palo Duros that I love in one and went with the Pretzel neck/Original bridge in another and I love the middle position with that combo.
I'm actually waffling between multiple options, one being a plain Palo Duro set. For this "project" guitar I wanted a different sound than I currently have. It turns out, one classic sound I don't have is the AlNiCo 5 neck. My Vintera 50s has an AlNiCo 2, and is very dark while my partscaster has a (very good!) Fralin humbucker. I may just order a Palo Duro set for the brighter AlNiCo 5 sound that has been the Tele sound for most of it's existence.

Curious...how does the Original Recipe compare to the Palo Duro bridge? How would you compare them to typical Fender pups?

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I don't know that bootstrap makes the tall, strat-like twisted tele style neck pickup for teles.

Don Mare Does

I have some pickups pulled from one of the early baja tele's.

anyhow, I found the specs for the baja pickups in a post on the definitive internet resource for all things about any telecaster https://www.tdpri.com/threads/specs-of-baja-tele-pickups.404938/#post-5063395

#5 and #6. as you can see #6 is strange, I'm sure you can custom order a bridge pickup that fits the bill from bootstrap, but the neck pickup might be a stretch.

Last edited:

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I guess I was wrong, the pretzel does seem a bit twisted tele-esque doesn't it.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have a set of Palo Duros that I love in one and went with the Pretzel neck/Original bridge in another and I love the middle position with that combo.
I have several sets of Bootstrap pickups and I like all of them. However, the wait time is getting to be too much for me and there are other good choices where I might have to step up pricewise, but I will get them in a more reasonable timeframe. They are starting to get too popular, and I am starting to think that people believe these are the only pickups to consider. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they are always the best choice.