Bootstrap choices to approximate a Baja

jim232777

Tele-Meister
The idea of a Baja-type Tele to compliment my more traditional models is intriguing. I'm looking at doing a partscaster with Bootstrap pickups, and a Pretzel in the neck should lean that way if I understand it correctly (like a Twisted Tele?). A Baja as I recall has a Broadcaster or similar bridge pickup. I don't need another vintage bridge sound, though, unless the combo sound is incredible and only possible that way. Would a Pretzel at the bridge also give me something different than my other Teles, but maybe still approximate a Baja?

I've got a Vintera 50s that has a very dark neck pickup, and a partscaster I built with a humbucker, so I also might opt for less Strat, but a bit brighter, more modern Tele configuration.

I had a bunch of speculation about the various Bootstrap models, and their descriptions, but instead of rambling on I'll just ask an open question: can others put into plain words how the different pickups sound? Traditional/vintage Tele; modern? Bright/dark? Hot/low output? I have no idea what "3D-like tone" of Palo Duro means...

Any suggestions for a choice of sets (or a split set)?

Thanks!

jim232777

Tele-Meister
Appreciate the reply...some Tele bridge pickups you seldom hear compared/demo'd...Like the Baja bridge Broadcaster, and the Twisted Tele & Pretzel bridge pups. Most of the time is spent on the neck pickups or, in the case of the Baja Tele, the out of phase settings I'm not interested in!

If I decide to go for a more modern Tele sound (brighter than the 50s sounds but not Pretzels) would that be the Palo Duro set?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Why not just get the Baja pickups? I am sure they cost a little more, but you would know for sure it is the sound you wanted.

I like a lot of different pickups and by no means loyal to just one, but you could end up going down that road and still not have what you wanted making you shop again. There is some truth in that paying a little more can end up being the better value.

Just something to consider....

jim232777

Tele-Meister
Why not just get the Baja pickups? I am sure they cost a little more, but you would know for sure it is the sound you wanted.
LOL, yeah, I thought about it. And I get the "pay for quality" approach. However, I haven't found anyplace to buy that set. Nowhere advertises the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster pair together. You can get a Twisted Tele *set* easily, but I would only need the neck. Don't find a Broadcaster pickup at all.

At any rate, it doesn't have to be *exactly* a Baja. As mentioned above, I have a Vintera 50s (not modified, as that is essentially a Baja) with really dark neck pup, and a partscaster that can get brighter humbucker tones). I got a "Special Edition Deluxe Ash" Tele (made off and on for Guitar Center) for a good deal...very nice looking ash body with transparent butterscotch. Although some do, I don't care for the ceramic pickups and want something with Alnico clarity.

I figured I would upgrade the pickups to something different sounding. Bajas get raved about, so something similar is a candidate. (I may also keep my eyes out for a Baja neck to swap out since I like fatter necks.) But it doesn't have to be a Baja. Since it's my 3rd Tele and more of a "fun" thing, I'm hoping to keep the cost down, so Bootstrap's high bang-for-the-buck is a plus.

Note I also asked about the Pretzel bridge and the Palo Duros...

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
LOL, yeah, I thought about it. And I get the "pay for quality" approach. However, I haven't found anyplace to buy that set. Nowhere advertises the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster pair together. You can get a Twisted Tele *set* easily, but I would only need the neck. Don't find a Broadcaster pickup at all.

At any rate, it doesn't have to be *exactly* a Baja. As mentioned above, I have a Vintera 50s (not modified, as that is essentially a Baja) with really dark neck pup, and a partscaster that can get brighter humbucker tones). I got a "Special Edition Deluxe Ash" Tele (made off and on for Guitar Center) for a good deal...very nice looking ash body with transparent butterscotch. Although some do, I don't care for the ceramic pickups and want something with Alnico clarity.

I figured I would upgrade the pickups to something different sounding. Bajas get raved about, so something similar is a candidate. (I may also keep my eyes out for a Baja neck to swap out since I like fatter necks.) But it doesn't have to be a Baja. Since it's my 3rd Tele and more of a "fun" thing, I'm hoping to keep the cost down, so Bootstrap's high bang-for-the-buck is a plus.

Note I also asked about the Pretzel bridge and the Palo Duros...
You might be in luck then, personally, I don't really care for the broadcaster bridge all that much. I love the Twisted Tele neck, but am not blown away by the CS Broadcaster bridge.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
If you want a BS equivilent just have him custom wind at $10 extra per pickup. Find the wire gauge, mag type and DCR of the Baja pups and have him custom wind to those specs and chose the magnet stagger that also matches the fender...flat or staggered. I think staggered is $5 extra. Not sure what the specs of the baja pups are but thats what i'd do if i wanted the fender equivalent in a BS, thats is assuming BS doesn't already have the same spec in thier stock catalog. Won't likely sound exact but it should be very close, maybe even better.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Huh?
I'm not a Tele expert. I own a Baja, which 'they say' has a Broadcaster bridge and Twisted Tele neck pickups. From what I hear, the Twisted Tele neck pickup is (dimensionally) deeper than a traditionally Tele pickup to try and make it sound more 'Strat-like'?
A quick check with a meter - Bridge - 8.91k, Neck - 5,97k AFAIK both A5.

Why not just fit 'A N Other's' Broadcaster spec bridge pickup and a 50ish spec Strat neck pickup?

jim232777

Tele-Meister
You might be in luck then, personally, I don't really care for the broadcaster bridge all that much. I love the Twisted Tele neck, but am not blown away by the CS Broadcaster bridge.
Interesting...can you offer more detail? Opinion based on the Baja Tele?

I was expecting the Broadcaster would just be a little overwound compared to standard Tele bridge...more mids, less highs, and maybe slightly more output.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Interesting...can you offer more detail? Opinion based on the Baja Tele?

I was expecting the Broadcaster would just be a little overwound compared to standard Tele bridge...more mids, less highs, and maybe slightly more output.
It is exactly that, it has a lot of punch and bite to it, but I prefer a more vintage tone and twang. I do like a strat-like neck so the Twisted Tele works there, but I just found the bridge too hot. It actually reminded me a lot more of the Cajun bridge pickup that Godin installs in their t-type hybrids. Some like it, I am still on the fence with it. I haven't replaced it, but never really happy with it.

jim232777

Tele-Meister
It is exactly that, it has a lot of punch and bite to it, but I prefer a more vintage tone and twang. I do like a strat-like neck so the Twisted Tele works there, but I just found the bridge too hot. It actually reminded me a lot more of the Cajun bridge pickup that Godin installs in their t-type hybrids. Some like it, I am still on the fence with it. I haven't replaced it, but never really happy with it.
Interesting, especially the possibility of being "too hot."

Per Fender descriptions, the pups in my Vintera Road Worn 50s are higher output than the regular Vintera 50s so I'm assuming they overwound them a bit. Both bridge and neck run about 7.4-7.5k**; neck is AlNiCo 2, bridge is AlNiCo3. I figure an overwound A3 is at least pointing in the direction of a Broadcaster. I actually like that pickup--has twang, but with a touch less high end.

The AlNiCo 2 Vintera RW neck pup is wonderful for dark/jazz tones, but unfortunately it's kind of a one-trick pony. There is no way to get a good brighter sound, even with amp treble raised. It also pulls down the eq of the middle switch position. Thinking of ordering a Palo Duro set to put an A5 in the neck position on that guitar. That way, I'll have the PD bridge to try in the project guitar if the Extra Crispy bridge is too hot.

** Sure, DCR alone that may not mean much, but that range is similar to the results in this forum from Antigua Tele for a neck in an Original Vintage or Nocaster set. He also listed bridge pups there at about 6.8k, so 7.4-7.5 is slightly overwound, assuming same/similar winding equipment/wire (may be a big assumption!). Interestingly, his Blackguard measurement was 7.5k, although w/ an A5 magnet.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
Interesting, especially the possibility of being "too hot."

Per Fender descriptions, the pups in my Vintera Road Worn 50s are higher output than the regular Vintera 50s so I'm assuming they overwound them a bit. Both bridge and neck run about 7.4-7.5k**; neck is AlNiCo 2, bridge is AlNiCo3. I figure an overwound A3 is at least pointing in the direction of a Broadcaster. I actually like that pickup--has twang, but with a touch less high end.

The AlNiCo 2 Vintera RW neck pup is wonderful for dark/jazz tones, but unfortunately it's kind of a one-trick pony. There is no way to get a good brighter sound, even with amp treble raised. It also pulls down the eq of the middle switch position. Thinking of ordering a Palo Duro set to put an A5 in the neck position on that guitar. That way, I'll have the PD bridge to try in the project guitar if the Extra Crispy bridge is too hot.

** Sure, DCR alone that may not mean much, but that range is similar to the results in this forum from Antigua Tele for a neck in an Original Vintage or Nocaster set. He also listed bridge pups there at about 6.8k, so 7.4-7.5 is slightly overwound, assuming same/similar winding equipment/wire (may be a big assumption!). Interestingly, his Blackguard measurement was 7.5k, although w/ an A5 magnet.

You might want to check if your guitar is wired vintage style with a capacitor darkening the neck pickup. Removing this will brighten up the neck pickup sound considerably.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Afflicted
I was looking for the “Baja“ sound and went with a Pretzel neck and a Palo Duro bridge. This combo is magic. Especially the middle position. 😲