Boothill 5e3 no sound

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by teleskunk, Sep 17, 2019.

1. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

I'm new here but have been an avid visitor for a many years and i took the plunge and joined up. Well I need some help from any one who has built a Boothill 5e3 kit I'm sure this has been discussed many times but i need some advice, I completed the kit Im getting power across all power tubes and pre tubes but i get no sound at all. when I turned on nothing strange happened I made sure and connected a speaker, But I get nothing not even a hum. Did I wire the inputs backwards ?

Could the sleeve, ground tip be different than other brands ? Dave from Boothill amps suggested to ask you guys & gals for help, please give me any suggestions I want to get this amp up and running a.s.a.p. I would appreciate any help you can give

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I'd double check you wired the input jacks correctly - they can be tricky. Sounds like the inputs are grounded.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Step 1 of amp troubleshooting is to make a voltage chart. If there isn't even hum/low level noise out of the speaker that would suggest a problem with the power stage.

4. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

I had a similar issue. However, I DID hear sound inside the amplifier itself. I found out that I did not wire the speaker output jacks correctly. I made the connection and everything was good.
    Some clear photos will help.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, teleskunk. I would suggest you go back to the voltage test. Start your test at the output tube plates. Do you hear a small pop when the contact for the measurement is made? If so, then there is some production of signal in the output. If not, you have a dead output section....maybe a bad speaker? If you get a pop there, move back toward the input in the circuit..Phase inverter, preamps. At each stage, the pop should increase in volume. When you find a stage where the pop does not increase...or is not there at all...you have found a problem. If you get to the input preamp stage..V1..and the pop is the loudest of the pops created during the test, then the circuit is working to some extent as it should. If this situation is your case and if you are not getting any signal processing in the amp, then you have a problem in the input signal path.
    This voltage/pop test is one of the oldest tests for an audio circuit and it is valid. You might make up a voltage chart while doing the test. You need to do that even if the amp is making wonderful sound...imho.

6. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The pop test Wally mentioned works great to determine if your amp is capable of passing signal to the speaker. If probing voltages on the 6v6 sockets does not cause a small pop at the speaker, you likely have the output jack miswired. Also be sure that you are not plugging into the extension jack if you have one. That jack will not work on it's own. It it meant to plug in an extension cab while the cabinet's main speaker is also plugged into the main jack.

Wally likes this.
  7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I'd go with the pop test, particularly if you are getting no sound whatsoever from the speaker.

8. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

Thank you for all you reply's, I went back and looked at the layout I was getting power across all heater wires and I started to look at the input jacks to make sure they were ground and I looked at my volume pots and there is it was I did not ground them to my grounding buss I thought what a dummy as soon as corrected my error I turned it on let it up warm up and that wonderful sound came trough and I was so happy.

Thank you all for your reply's

dan40, thechad, Wally and 2 others like this.
  9. Wally

Kudos on finding that error. Have you made a voltage chart? If not, I suggest that you do so and work from the output to the input so as to familiarize yourself with that pop test. In the case of your amp, the pop test would have shown that the problem had to have been in that area where you found the bad ground. Heater voltage is important, but it tells you nothing about the signal processing. The pop test does that.
    A voltage chart is important. It needs to be made so you have a baseline to which you can refer. The bias measurements need to be made at the same time...for the same reasons.

corliss1 likes this.
  10. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

This was my first amp build so I'm not sure how to go about making a voltage chart, could you explain how to make one

11. corliss1

A voltage chart is simply taking the DC voltages at all the tube pins (some will not have any, which is also fine). It'll be a good learning exercise, and if something goes wrong with the amp in the future, you'll have a baseline to work with.

Wally likes this.
  12. Wally

Teleskunk, ime, if one does not know how to take voltage measurements then one must needs learn to do IF one wants to understand much of anything about these amps. Without knowing the voltages, one does not really know how the amp is functioning, imho.

13. Wally

And....imho...you should contact the vendor for some advice. (;^) I hold that every kit should come not just with a layout diagram but with a schematic with expected voltages noted, a blank voltage chart, and a warning that the building of one of these amps requires working in a dangerous environment. I also hold that one should have a basic understanding of a schematic and tube pinouts before contemplating building an amp, but I am sure I am in the minority on that one. There is so much free literature on the ‘net today that it is amazing. I had to spend real money on books in order to get some idea as to what is going on in these things. I did that before I started working on them.

Paul G. and corliss1 like this.
  14. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally, I have some basic knowledge enough to read the lay out and I built a couple of pedals using a breadboard building a Sola sound tone bender MK 2 fuzz pedal and Rangemaster boost I also did many guitar mods so I decided to build a 5e3 which Im digging right now, could you recommend reading material (book) that will help me in my understanding of basic electronics I really want to learn as much as possible so when I decide to do another build I will have way better understanding.

Thanks again Wally

15. corliss1

16. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

Oh yea I forgot to ask I dont have a cab for the amp yet but i'm using a 1x12 cab with a early 80's carvin speaker made by eminence supposed to be like celestion green back. I dont have a lot of money to spend on a Blue alnico way out of my budget right now, would a Weber Alnico sig 12" 25 watt be good match ? they are going for $69 bucks good price but is it a good speaker for a 5e3

17. Wally

Google Aiken Amps...tech info..white papers. Jack Darr’s book is a good one. Long ago I bought Tom Mitchell’s How To Service Your Own Guitar Amp. It is a basic book with some useful info expressed in layman’s terms. I like Dave Funk’s book.
    Imho, reading a layout is not the point. It tells you nothing beyond what wire or components goes where....unless.....if one understands schematics, then looking at a layout tells that person what they are seeing there because they are seeing the schematic
    In their mind. Go to schematic heaven to the Fender section and study the 5E3 schematic. The layout is right below that schematic, so as one studies the schematic one can find the point in the layout where any certain wire, resistor, cap, switch, fuse, light, or tube is.
    And...google Duncan Tube Data and study the pinouts for the tubes. You need that info to understand it all. A look at the history of vacuum tubes....google it....will give a basis for understanding what the tubes can do. Lot of free info.

18. teleskunk

teleskunk TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally your a wealth of info and I will start to study this info so I can better understand

19. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I did the same thing myself! The Output transformer was buzzing like mad when I cranked the amp and strummed the guitar. But no sound from the speaker! Plug in a guitar cable and check continuity with you meter between the tip and jack lead, and sleeve and ground lead. If that makes sense...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.