1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boothill 5e3 kit. First time build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TuneHead, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member

Hey TuneHead! Congrats on getting that 5E3 up and running!

“The sweet sound of a tube amp. Now I get what all the fuss is about.”

Yeah, that’s been my experience since I finished up my Princeton. Now I’m thinking about my second build. I may be joining you in the 5E3 builders club unless I talk myself into a Vibrolux... CAN’T DECIDE!

TuneHead likes this.
  2. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Thanks so much guys. I really couldn't have done it without this awesome forum, and RobRob's incredible resource.

My initial optimism that the amp was without hum was, I think, clouded by my rose-tinted, tube glowing eyes and ears. There certainly is some hum (not too bad) there once the volume gets cranked up. I did notice that if I touch the chassis, the hum all but disappears.

Have I created an inadvertent ground loop somehow?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I picked up the wood today to start the box. Now just gotta practise some dovetails...

Cheers

Robear likes this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I would check all grounds and connections to ground first. Good solder joints make a big difference here. Make sure pots are making good ground contact with chassis.

Heater wires to the two 6V6 power tubes should be consistent polarity. Make sure heater wires aren't running parallel or too close to signal wires. Keep AC and signal wires apart, if AC crosses signal anywhere, make sure it's at right angles.

If you still have excess hum, post some clear internal photos right here and maybe someone will see something.

4. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Thanks Paul.

Certainly not excessive hum. I moved my ground bus slightly, as it was contacting the chassis on its way to the input jack. That’s fixed the problem.

5. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Been working on the cabinet and have finally finished it... roughly.

It's not going to win any joinery prizes, but a blind man would be pleased to see it. Actually considering that they're the first dovetails I've cut by hand for about 35 years, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Every thing was done using hand tools. I had to figure out how to cut a decent circle in the baffel board. And settled on using a hand router attached to a simple jig. It worked really well.

The amp has so much more bass now. Almost too much.

I found the grill cloth to be a bit of a challenge. So it's a bit wonky. I had trouble getting it tight enough to smooth out the wrinkles.

Anyway. I'll leave the cabinet uncovered for now. I'll eventually end up covering it in tweed. But that part of the project is for another day.

Now I just have to get my guitar skills up to speed to justify the great sounds of the amp.
    IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4654.JPG IMG_4655.JPG IMG_4656.JPG IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4654.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.