Boothill 5e3 kit. First time build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TuneHead, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

I've just about got all my parts together now. Base kit from Dave at Boothill amps. Hammond 290BEX power transformer (i'm 240v).

NOS tubes:- HYVAC 12AX7 and GE 5Y3GT from Dave, 2 matched GE 6V6GTA's and a GE 12AY7 from some local suppliers.

I've ordered a 12A125A speaker from Ted Weber and will build a pine box myself.

Attached Files:

2. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

Have fun!!!

TuneHead likes this.
  3. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Ok. So lots achieved today. I've attached a image of my populated turret board. If someone would be so kind to give it the once over, before I trim the leads and solder.

Attached Files:

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I always put the power tube cathode resistor on the outside to give it more space around the capacitors. It'll get hot and eventually "cook" those caps.

Gunny, TuneHead and D'tar like this.
  5. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Yep^^^^

TuneHead likes this.
  6. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Great advice thank you. I’ll swap it over.

7. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

inputJacks wired.JPG Today I started to wire up the signal side of the amp. I wired up the 1M resistors on the jacks and soldered. Mistake number 2. (I needed to add some additional signal wiring before soldering). Trying to test my work, I can't figure out what is going on. I seem to be getting two differing result on each of the input no 1 jacks. When I test the left hand (in the picture) jack (bright 1) I get a short circuit across ground and the T terminal regardless of whether a cable is plugged in. When I test the right hand jack (Normal 1) I get a short across the ground and the T, until I plug a cable in and then get 1M showing. Which is what I was expecting.

Upon closer inspection of my soldering I can see that some solder had bridged a connection on the side of the jack. Is this my issue? When I test the other jack across this part, they seem to be connected in any case. It's doing my head it....

inputjack 1.JPG

8. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Ok. So I unsoldered the offending jack and have replaced it with the one from the speaker position. Wired that up and everything tests as I expected. I'm even more confused now. Can anyone shed some light on what might have gone wrong? Thanks.

9. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

You're good. You shorted the tip to the shunt which is grounded. Just superheat it with solder iron and hit with a solder sucker or carefully tap it on the workbench when hot to remove the bridge.

Gravity!!

TuneHead likes this.
  10. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Yeah... Skilled that's what I am, some might say "gifted".

11. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Well I've wrapped up the day with a test of the PT system. I'm getting good ground on the chassis, and good voltages from the secondary circuits. 6.3v across the greens, 5v across the yellows and 342v and -342v on reds to red/yellow.

Confidence is much higher now than it was earlier in the day when I have having a shunt of a time. I might actually get this thing up and running, (with a lot of help from my new friends. *thanks)

Tomorrow I'll wire up the heaters I think and test that circuit.

This post from King Fan is particularly helpful. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/and-away-we-go-another-5f2-a-first-amp-build.964812/#post-9223120

Thanks to everyone on this forum. There's so much great info available.

Robear likes this.
  12. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

That was a particularly helpful post. I’m very glad King Fan shared that. It helped me get mine up and running today. Along with D’tar, who seems to be out and about dispensing free advice and help to all who require tonight!

TuneHead likes this.
  13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Lol! I have the smoker going this weekend! Lots of free(me)time in the barn.:) Guitars, amps, food and drink!

14. Robear

Robear TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Had the smoker going? Now I really wish I was in WNY and I’d let you buy ME lunch. :D

D'tar likes this.
  15. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Mmmmm smoked goodness...

In an attempt not to create my own smoke with this amp. Please would someone check I've got these heater wires hooked up correctly? That's not a job I want to re do if I can avoid it.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

16. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Heater wires for me are the lamest part of any build. Make sure you leave yourself enough room so you can get to the rest of the pins.

17. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Thanks corliss1. I'll wire up the rest of the sockets before I solder anything. But yeah, I agree not a "fun" part of the build.

18. TuneHead

TuneHead TDPRI Member

Oh my oh my.

The sweet sound of a tube amp. Now i get what all the fuss is about.

I first had to un-solder and re arrange the input jacks as they didn't clear the turrets once the board was in the chassis. So that took me a while. In the process I discovered a couple of broken wires, so that was a good bit of trouble shooting.

I walked through the amp power up phases as per the link from King Fan above, and cross checked it with Rob's power up procedure. Including stepping though the schematic and ticking off each connection once verified for continuity.

Everything was checking out ok.

So full phase power on without the lamp limiter. Guitar in and volume up with lots of hum. Unplug, drain caps and check lead dressing. I moved couple of signal wires, and tried again....

Silence. Volume up.... silence and then hiss as the volume increased.

All inputs checked out ok. Volume and tone pots appear to be working. Man is this thing loud. I ordered a 30w speaker by mistake so I guess it doesn't really break up as early as it should. I'm, getting pretty clean tones all the way up to about 9 on the volume pots.

Anyway lots still to learn about this thing. I've still got the cabinet to build but I am super stoked that it works, is quiet and cranks out some awesome sound. Actually, I'm just super stoked it works.

Voltages seem to be a little on the high side.

B+ 374
    B+2 336
    B+3 248

V1 pin1 119
    pin3 2.1
    pin6 119
    pin8 2.1

V2 pin1 171
    pin3 1.1
    pin6 206
    pin8 41.7

V3 pin3 365
    pin4 336
    pin8 20.4

V4 pin3 365
    pin4 336
    pin8 20.4

Robear and D'tar like this.
  19. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Sweet Sweet Tube Tone!!!! Congrats!!! Those numbers loook pretty good to me.

TuneHead likes this.
  20. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Yeah, those numbers are solid like D-Tar said, right around where they should be. Congratulations!

TuneHead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.