1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boosting into a boost?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hendrixlvr, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Anyone ever tried using 2 boost pedals to achieve overdrive on a clean amp? Like having a dimed clean boost running into another clean boost. The dimed one to overdrive the clean one and the clean one to set the overall volume of that makes sense to anyone LOL

2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I know some people use a boost at the beginning of a signal chain to raise the level (or to make up for low output pickups), and then one at the end of the signal chain after the other effects to just boost the signal into the amp, if that makes sense. Both of those options would drive the amp to a certain extend. When dealing with volume, there isn't really a way to avoid the amp breaking up past a certain volume if the headroom isn't there.

But, no I haven't heard of people using two clean boosts consecutively.

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

What you'd be doing with that is essentially a home-brewed OD/distortion/dirt/whatever pedal made up of two other pedals. The first one would drive the second into whatever behavior it's going to exhibit when its input is driven too hard.

A lot of great things have come from experimentation; I say go for it.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Why don’t you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?

Mouth, pi, Marc Morfei and 6 others like this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I'm sorta doing this with my current rig:

Guitar>BD-2>GE7>PRRI input 1 in>PRRI input 2 out>always-on FBM1>always-on T Rex Fat Shuga boost/reverb>Silverface Princeton input 1 in.

So when I hit the BD2 (gain off, level around 1 o'clock) and/or the GE7 (main slider a bit above 50%) going into the PRRI, they're also boosting the pedals daisy chained into the path to the second amp, adding some grit and coloration, but with a volume boost to both amps that are close to equal--SF Princeton jumps out a little more.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  6. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

It works.
    Just be careful of a volume blast if you have one cranked and fail to engage the other.
    I would set their outputs the same.
    Use your guitar volume.
    Boosts and guitar volume knobs interact superbly.

uriah1 likes this.
  7. 65 Champ Amp

Some boosts have a gain knob~ 4 knob Spark Booster, or Fulltone Fat Boost, for example. Their circuits provide a very light range of overdrive, but really respond to a boost in front of them.

uriah1 likes this.
  8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

If you're overdriving the clean boost, can you still call it "clean boost"? I use a Prince of Tone in its "boost" setting, but I'm using it as a low-gain overdrive. I used to have a Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1, which is this concept of driving a boost with a boost and making it clip. That pedal is painfully shrill into a Fender amp.

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I love doing this. The only problem is that it tends to get quite loud. I have two boost pedals. It sounds great when you put it into something like an SRRI...like I said it can be very loud...especially at the volume levels of an SRRI when its cranked.

10. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I've had good results with a Wampler Tumnus into a ZVex Channel 2 into a 5E3 circuit

11. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

There is something to be said for having a second boost, not so much to color the tone, but to give more for punching a solo through.

12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I run two boosts, but not to drive the amp. One (Xotic Super Clean) is in a loop with a compressor for clean leads. The other (Keeley Katana) is at the end of the chain, set modestly higher for dirty leads or to raise the volume when using lots of modulation or reverb.

I don't really need that first boost, as the comp has a volume knob. But it sounds better with it. It cuts some of the highs and keeps the noise down.

When I use both boosts, it's just to get the clean lead a little louder.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a boutique boost pedal that had 4 different types of boost circuits, you could mix and match, there were some cool sounds but the more you boosted the noisier it got too.

14. 65 Champ Amp

The idea of stepping on a booster to punch a solo through makes me cringe.
    Especially with the insane amount of decibels on tap with some of these boosters. To paraphrase Warren Zevon, He’ll rip your ears out, Jim.

I would much rather use it to make my amp sound like it’s working harder than it is, just leave the pedal on, and use my guitar volume knob.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Jakeboy likes this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I have used two, but one up front, the other in the effects loop. And the one in the effects loop was an eq, to have boosting and shaping. It sounded good, but it added too much hiss. It definitely pushed the amp into some good drive, but I wondered if it might have been bad for the amp long term, plus the hiss issue.

16. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I rocked a couple LPB-1's into a cheapo practice amp and was having a blast getting those sorts of overdriven tones and occasional overloading bloomo_O

17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I usually have a boost at the end of my chain.
    my new FD 3 has an independent boost so I can boost from the front as well. I set them to give me a hair more.

18. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

At one time I think my dirt was:

Flying Dragon-->Fat-Boost 2-->Fat-Boost 3
    All together it sounded great. Piece by piece the shadings were too subtle.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

My Fulldrive 3 in compcut mode is a clean boost into a very loud mildly dirty boost. Good with my JMP. The option to dial in a little dirt gives more options.

it will all depend on headroom further down the chain and whether it sounds pleasant, compressed or adds proportional volume/gain. Can only try.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, my favorite straight boost is a Zvex SHO, the single version. It is a great boost, very little coloring of the signal, just what you have, louder. The circuit is basically a 1960’s recording console gain stage, so stacking them is just overloading an input channel to a mixing board. Not my sound.

However, if you want to suddenly crank up the input to an amp (or have a buffer at your board) that is the boost to use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.