1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boosting Drive Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grandy, Apr 2, 2021.

1. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Yeah I recently added a Matthews effects “Architect” to my pile of colored boxes.
    There is a Wampler Fuzztration, Blue Box, into (either a modded sound tank TS9 or stock TS9) into SD1, Ts9Turbo (modded) and finally the Architect. It has a great one knob boost, and its main topology is supposed to be a Klon like circuit with the addition of BMT. I find I use the bass middle treble at the end of the other dirt pedals to color them, get them where I want them. I’ve busked with it (not taking that many pedal/dirt boxes) and recorded at home with it, but since pandemic I have not had it up at stage volume, into tubes. I have this childish notion of a worldwide lifting of club closures, and the collective ROAR inside each time zone, across the world as bands all come back to life, flicking their standbys in unison, and banging out the first chord to ????

2. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Oh yeah I’ve got two of them

3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I got an Architrct, the v2 one without the boost. I like it. Its not a dead on Klone IMO, but gets pretty close with the switch on germanium. I use it as my base OD tone into a mostlyclean amp. I run that Fulltone Fat Boost 3 INTO it for leads.

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

There’s a bunch of stuff on That Pedal Show about this and related aspects. Bound to be something useful for you in there.

Remember though, there are no rules as such regarding pedal order - the suggestions, typical results and general principles will guide you, but in the end, just follow your ears.

And similar info from others, of course.*

https://youtu.be/prcFwllEzl4

https://youtu.be/w7jHBdfHwmM

https://youtu.be/mrlL_KBgLss

Pax/
    Dean

* hmm, those last three show up, for me at least, as links, not imbedded videos. They’re JHS, Wampler and Rhett Shull

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

When the World Was Woken by Barclay James Harvest!

6. CinPA

CinPA TDPRI Member

I use my Soul Food as a clean treble boost after fuzz/OD/distortion - all at fairly low gain. It's set so there is a barely noticeable volume jump and no gain increase when I hit the SF, but it adds lots of sparkle since the dirt drives all have different eq settings, from dark to only moderately bright. It works best when changing from bridge to neck or combination pickups and really stands out with humbuckers!

I've tried the SF in front of each dirt pedal separately then after and I never found a sound I like pre-dirt. 98% of the time I'm switching between a tele and Ibanez Artcore (thin-hollow body) with HB. This goes into a Line 6 Spider II soldi state amp.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always disliked my TS9, but I used it because I sometimes needed some dirt and it was on my board.
    One day I stumbled on an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 and stuck it I on my little board after the TS.
    By mistake, I turned on both at once and got this glorious sound that is now MY sound.

Oxidao and northernguitar like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too long to read all.

Basic principle: most ODs do not have the headroom of most amps. So,
    - boost in front of OD = lots of additional saturation and very little level boost
    - boost after OD = level boost

After that, sky's the limit.

I hate having more than one "drive" or "level" pedal. So I just use a mid-forward OD plus my guitar knobbies.

9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I read these threads, try a few of the ideas. Then I always go back to single drive pedal. I have 3 connected usually, but never "stacked". Seems like I can get what appealed to me from the stacking by turning a few knobs.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Between the output volume on the guitar, gain and volume on the overdrive, and gain and volume on many amps... that’s basically three adjustable stages... plenty for most people. Adding one more for boost can be useful in a live situation.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

I find this very useful.
    OD can be set for anything from Treble Boost to Tube Screamer , whilst the Boost adds upto 21db separately or after the OD.
    https://www.tech21nyc.com/archive/boost-overdrive/

btw, after that I've a Big Muff and then a BD-2, the Tech21 doesn't interefere with either of them and I'll often use the Tech21 clean Boost into the BD-2 and could also Boost the Big Muff if I wanted to.
    The Tech21 OD is set more for slide parts and so is quite crunchy, whereas the BD-2 is more edge of breakup.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  12. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Thanks, the unity Vol issue is making up my mind. I'll try...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.