1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boosting Drive Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grandy, Apr 2, 2021.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I just realized you're using the Mudhoney 2. Because I didn't read the whole thread before responding. ;)

That's a Rat style and similar to the Rat style I use. Try a TS style in front of it.

2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I like a clean boost after for a nice punchy sound to the compressed drive sound. Clean before if you like saturation.

3. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I've recently discovered that a Dod 250 type pedal is a very versatile pedal to have on a board. Set relatively clean it can add a lovely "something extra" to pedals downstream. I have it going into cheap and cheerful clones of a Timmy, a TS and a Zendrive. All react well to the 250.
    My 250 clone is a Mosky D250X - great little $30 pedal.

TwoBear and pi like this.
  4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since you like T-Rex, this is what I use. The pedal after the Moller is a Rat clone.

pedalboard.jpeg

5. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Like was mentioned before, whatever the last drive in the chain will be the most prominent sound. For me my Morning Glory is last for my base tone. Something else to keep in mind, is to try using something out of your wheelhouse to stack. For me, I don't really like tube screamers on their own. However going into the MG, I LOVE it. The treble and bass roll off isn't as pronounced, but gives it that great kick in the mids for cutting through a mix.

TwoBear likes this.
  6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

This thread made me think of this sleeper..

Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I love drives and boosts. I sometimes have 3 or 4 on at the same time. Stacking is fun.

I always try a pedal in all the positions before I decide where to put it.

cyclopean, KelvinS1965 and TwoBear like this.
  8. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Except unless that full drive ll has a different design, think it only boosts into dirt, which just makes dirt dirtier. Sorry if I posted twice I was trying to fix a missed comma and Pushed send by mistake

9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Yeah the microamp and the DOD 250 are us old timers go twos/to’s ha

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

A great amp gets you more or less one of flavor of dirt. A great pedal board gives you way more options.

TokyoPortrait and TwoBear like this.
  11. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

The last dirt or boost is basically your master volume for your board. I keep an always on clean boost to take the mumbles out of my pedalboard and to level out the volume as i change which pedals I’m using.

I like a spark mini for that last pedal.

Oxidao likes this.
  12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Tonight I was jamming with my looper through my interface into my headphones. I looked down at the signal chain. Tube OD-Vick Audio Overdriver-Wampler Ego Mini compressor-Xotic Super Clean booster-Wampler Tumnus-MXR Timmy-Bosd GE7 equalizer-JHS Panther Cub-Keeley Katana clean boost-Mooer Radar power amp/speaker sim, all together. It sounded awesome.

So I thought, what would happen if I turned off any one of these drive pedals. For each one I clicked I lost the soul of the tone.

So say what you like, I think pedals are awesome.

TwoBear and northernguitar like this.
  13. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

I've learned a long time ago that high gain pedals benefit from boosting them with TS9. I've been combining TS9 with ehx muff and tone city golden plexi pedal for a while now.

TwoBear and northernguitar like this.
  14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I'm mostly a clean player, so I don't usually stack overdrives, but I do love a good old-fashioned one-knob clean boost. Not much to explain, plug it in and turn it on.

For a graphic EQ, I prefer it after the OD rather than before. If you put it before it changes which frequencies break up when, which will change the character of the OD. This could be a desirable thing, but I already like the voice of my OD (hence why I bought it), so I would put the EQ after. This will raise the volume of whichever frequencies, but not change the point at which they break up. This is more of a technical adjustment rather than an all out flavor changer.

TwoBear and Tele-friend like this.
  15. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

For most pedals, you can run them into each other, and it'll work. The final overdrive in the chain will end up dominating the tone. For a good example, try putting a muff before a tubescreamer then a tubescreamer before a muff to hear the differences.

However, I should caution that if you want to get the Hendrix fuzz sound, or more generally, the 60s fuzz sound, do not run a boost into your fuzz face or tonebender (and do not put any buffer between your guitar and fuzz). Doing so will drastically change the tone, and remove the ability to "clean up". See this video for an explanation on why:

TokyoPortrait and northernguitar like this.
  16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Timmy stacks great. But THE best stacker I've found, either pre or post drive pedal, is the lowlt Fulltone Fat Boost 3. It works with everything. Im currently running a Matthews Effects Architect v2 as base dirt, with the FB3 stacked into it for more gain leads. But ive ran the FB3 with a litany of different ODs over the years.

TwoBear likes this.
  17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You heard it here first; Any will do.

I prefer true bypass. Mine is a BBE Boosta Grande. Clean, not noisy, plays well with others. What's not to like? Nuthin!

18. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

First thing is what each type of pedal does Distortion pedals are static type clipping pedals soft to hard clipping is how they are made. The Over Drive pedal should be a Dynamic/touch sensitive type clipping which means the harder you hit the strings the more the volume will rise which will determine if the signal gets clipped soft or hard or any thing between, from clean to metal all determined by pick attack. Then you have Fuzz type which clipps like a Distortion but will clean up the clipp by lowering you volume going into it but will not give you a range of clipped signal like a OD pedal. You dont really want to change the signal going into a Over Drive because it will mess with the dynamics of your pick attack and if you put another dirt pedal after it it will loose the difference in clipped sound you get with them. Generaly if you stack distortion pedals you want a soft clipping type before a hard clipping type. Now you can use a EQ to boost and tone shape your dirt pedals using one before dirt can give you more volume going in so it effects how much of clipping get raised and after dirt will just increase or cut the volume along with shapeing the tone like if your dirt pedal has a mid cut you can bring them back up with it. A good compressor will act like a clean Over drive if you set the attack at a lower setting it will only start clipping the signal when the string attack volume exceeds the set threshold.

19. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Hey, tell ya what. We'll make a copy of it and call it a C3ntaur. We'll make millions!

TwoBear likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I've only recently got into stacking pedals and I'm getting some really great sounds by doing this, though usually just 2 at a time for me.*

I was using an EP boost in my loop to give me a lift for solos. I then found that a treble boost into various pedals (MXR Timmy for one) worked really well on my main board into the amp input.

I found a deal on a used Xotic Super Clean, which has DIP switches that allow some EQ shaping, so that works as a treble boost into various pedals or as a boost for clean solos adding a bit more clarity at the same time (into my Marshall Mini Jubilee, set just short of breaking up).

* Super clean>OCD>MXR Timmy when I run 3 together works well for solos though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    TwoBear likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.