Boost Placement Question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ShortintheSleeve, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I know conventional wisdom is to place a boost before or after drive pedals--before to add gain, after to add volume.

But does anyone else use one as an "almost always on pedal" at the end of your pedal chain? I had owned a JHS VCR for some time, and I placed it last in my chain. Whenever I wasn't running an OD pedal, I'd keep the volume boost on the VCR on, set around 9:00, to spruce up my clean sound or any non-OD pedal I happen to be running. When I was running an OD, I kept the boost off except for when I wanted to kick up the volume for a solo.

Having acquired separate chorus and reverb pedals, I sold my VCR and just today procured a TC Electronic Spark Mini to replace the other's boost feature. My plan is to put it last in the chain again (my amp doesn't have an effects loop). Does anyone else do this?

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I set my pedal chain up with the boost at the end as well. I have a Donner Boost Killer, which can do -15dB to +15dB...using it at the end seemed appropriate. I've just acquired (not in hand yet) a Danelectro Billionaire Boost that I plan to work in on the front of the chain...not because I need it---had a GAS attack :oops:.

ShortintheSleeve likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I have my Spark Mini practically at the end of the chain, but before my 25k volume pedal, delay and reverb.

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Mine is after the gain pedals , after auto, wah, comp. chorus, phaser, octave and Talk box. ( yea I’m one of those guys)

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

It depends what it's for. Is it there to bump and color your base tone, the always on? That could go anywhere. Is it there to bump overall volume when you need it? That's after dirt. Is it there to juice your drive pedals and get more compression on lead lines? That's before the dirt.

On my big board I like one up front and one at the end.

ShortintheSleeve and stormsedge like this.
  6. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

In that scenario you are essentially using the boost as an output buffer. Lots of people will use a boost there, some will just end their signal chain with a pedal that has buffered bypass (Boss or similar), and some people will use input and output buffers on their pedal boards.

ShortintheSleeve and stormsedge like this.
  7. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I keep an EQD Arrows pretty much always on at the end of my chain. It does a bit of tonal shaping and just glues everything together.

8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I always place a DIY EHX LPB-1 or DIY ZVEX SHO at the end of my pedal chain. The LPB-1 is my preference but sometimes I need a little more trebley, defined boost and then the SHO has to make an appearance.

9. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I used to use a boost after overdrive, before delay/reverb. I like my Topanga Spring but it breaks up with enough boost in front so now I put the boost after everything else. Works great.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I like boosting my ods..so before..just adds a hint more crunch

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Many folks like to use an always-on preamp late in the chain for this. The Echoplex delay has a fantastic preamp that I believe you can leave on even with the delay off.

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Me, too. Incidentally, this pigtronix is SDotH for about 40 more minutes.
    [​IMG]

uriah1 likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Try a boost after, and in conjunction with, your dirt pedal.

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I put my boost at the front of the chain and use my volume knob, change pickups when I want to play lead etc. I use the boost if I just want a little more sustain while already in lead mode.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Yep, it basically boosts the signal that comes before it. At the front of the chain it boosts the output (volume) from the guitar and sends that increased output to the pedals after it. If you’re a volume knob user, your knob now goes to 16 ;-). Adjust the levels of pedals after it to accommodate the boosted signal, or just enjoy the increased output to the pedals. At least that’s how I like to use a boost. They also help compensate for big pedal boards or long cord runs.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I dial the pedals in to amp with guitar on full to get a saturated but still usable sound and dial the guitar back. The boost is set low and I just hit it for a little extra when overdrive pedal is on or sometimes turn it up and use it instead of overdrive. I tweak drive setting to suit certain songs but have a basic sound to begin with.

Lately I've been using a fly rig more and I have two drives and a boost in front on that so get 3 flavours of drive that can be stacked a couple ways.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  17. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

Guitar
    Tuner (Ibanez Big Mini)
    Spark Boost
    EP Boost
    Sugar Drive
    Carbon Copy Mini
    Vox AC10

So I have two boosts then an OD. I used to have the Spark last but I like it better this way.

jh

18. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

I have them in 3 places: before dirt (more pedal dirt), last pedal before the amp (more amp dirt) and in the fx loop of the amp (just louder)....
    there's no "best"... it makes sense in different places

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.