1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boost pedal interact with tube amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Edael, Sep 25, 2020.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I use my Xotic SP Compressor as an "instrument attenuator"...

I set my amp's volume at it's most optimal level, then set the SP Compressor's "Volume" to the level I need to compensate. So the amp is actually running fairly high but the input signal is what gets lowered.

I usually kick in this "attenuator" for rhythm parts - not only to reduce the performance signal but to retain the sweetspot sparkle and chime of BOTH the guitar AND amp- which decreases the "treble rolloff" that often occurs when backing off those respective volume levels. Then when I need more output (like on solo parts) I bypass the pedal and the full signal is allowed to pass through.

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the Xotic EP Booster since that product boosts even when turned all the way down, while the SP Compressor can boost and cut the signal levels (without affecting the basic tone too much).

I'm sure other products can accomplish the same thing, the main question is whether they alter the tone in some adverse way...

Atten.JPG

`

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, treble bypass circuit on the instrument’s volume control or the use of linear pot for the guitar volume control would be much less expensive with better results than the manner in which you are using that compression pedal.

3. AxemanVR

`
    I've tried treble bleed / bypass circuits but didn't like the results, since some treble rolloff is desirable at times and the tone starts to sound thin and sterile at a certain point to me.

While they do work, finding the best capacitor / resistor combination can be difficult to dial in.

There was a company that made a rotary "pot-like" device with multiple cap/resistor combinations. I really wish I would have jumped on one of them at the time, but they are no longer in business as far as I can tell.

Anyway, with the compressor turned down the guitar still mostly retains its basic character, so no further adjustments on the amp or guitar are necessary to compensate...

ye

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

AxemanVR, I do not like the values used in most treble bypass circuits, either, and have been using my own values depending on the guitar. The .001mfd/150k ohm circuit does not maintain some midrange and things can get thin as the volume is reduced. Larger caps and smaller resistors do the trick.

AxemanVR and MilwMark like this.
  5. Dr.StainedGlove

Dr.StainedGlove TDPRI Member

you should be able to get pretty close to clean and boosted depending ons your headroom. I have the Tone Job pedal from earthquaker and I HIGHLY recommend it for a boost pedal!! It is extremely useful. It lets you target your boost to the right frequencies and can be used to do all sorts of things.

fredwrites likes this.
  6. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Just went through this with my new Earthquaker boost/eq (love it so much, I now use TWO in my pedal board). I set the amp so that “unboosted” is pretty much full-clean, and “boost” pushes it into the red a bit for some overdrive/compression. Also boost treble and roll off some bass on the boost for solos. Seems to be working well! The final tweak will be replacing my old Boss compressor with new/upgraded Boss: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP-1X--boss-cp-1x-compressor-pedal

Hoping all this will allow for more usable clean sounds for more songs.

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Can't help re Fender amps but, into a Rocker 15 a Spark Boost with a hair to no gain, switched to clean will give a clean volume boost. (Same Spark into an HT20... Ughh, goes all fuzzy!)

I run a Spark boost after Vibe and Flanger but for mid-boost.

For true CLEAN boost - and it is 100% clean - I run a Tech21 Overdrive before them. The Boost switch on that will work independently of the OD one.

PS. Picking up on another comment.. The Rocker 15 speaker is highly efficient!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

I have a tiny little Harley Benton Tube 5. As I live in shared professional accom I have to be really quiet. My Tube Screamer Mini pushes it into overdrive on the absolute lowest volume setting on 1W and 5W. Results may vary with higher power amps.

9. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Is this kind of what you had in mind?

https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-500k-pro-guitar-pot-w-variable-treble-bleed-circuit/

AxemanVR likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

YES!!

I thought I hated treble bleeds. Until I explained to my local shop why. And the owner was like - oh, that's simple. I'll just use a nice audio taper pot, and use different values for the bleed components. Problem solved. Tone stays identical. No thinning, no weird shifting of the mids. No loss of lows. Just less volume. I wish more shops know about this.

Wally likes this.
  11. AxemanVR

12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Everyone is complicating this. The easy way to get what you need is to put the boost in the effects loop.

Otherwise, turn the gain down and master up until you aren't distorting with the boost at the desired level. Switch it off and see if it's loud enough.

13. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

My tech told me about it the other day. I’m awaiting delivery on an Emerson ‘50s pot/cap set and told him I may try the variable bleed if the Emerson stuff needs a little help.

14. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

If you are looking for a compressor there is none better than the
    Cali76. I've been playing all over the world for the past 36 years and
    I've never heard a compressor like the Cali76.
    It's based on the classic Urie1176 studio compressor.
    The last time a pedal impressed me this much was Christmas of 1975.
    I got my 1st Telecaster that year, and a MXR distortion +, I was 11.
    I still have the guitar and the Distortion +.

Respectfully, D.R.R.

15. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

The Fairfield Barbershop V2, is a JFET overdrive, that when the controls, 3 knobs, are set above 1:00-2:00, o'clock, becomes a sparkling clean boost. The BSV2 benefits are string separation and touch sensitivity. It acts like a preamp, boosting overdrives and making the modulation more articulate, popping out of the mix.

I use it to push my Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and Fender 1x12 cab, with a Cannabis Rex speaker, into early saturation at lower volumes, attenuation.

The amp can be set up so the BSV2, with overdrives, has sensitive picking dynamics, on the verge of break up. Pick softly, for clean, slightly harder for crunch and harder for distortion. Single note solos are epic, with guitar volume up.

Bass players, use the BSV2, as an overdrive and tube emulation, for high wattage solid state bass amps. It works the same for ss guitar amps. Google, Talkbass Forum, for further information.

There are limited videos on the Barbershop V2, and it operates, similar to the JHS Clover, as a preamp.

It also has a sag control, that reduces power to the transistors, for a Tweed sound. The BSV2, is also great for slide or lap steel, for clean or overdriven sound.

This pedal is unique, as there is no other overdrive pedal, like it.

YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.