Boost pedal for acoustic solo gigs?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Del Pickup, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a few solo acoustic gigs lined up and have been practising with the PA set up. I'll be using a loop pedal so that I can play a few solos over the top of some of the songs but sometimes it seems like the solo guitar part gets a bit lost in the mix. My Martin doesn't have an onboard eq and volume control as I've got a Fishman Aura pre-amp which will sit on the floor at my feet.

I've tried my Barber Tone Press and Hotcake but neither of these pedals work very well - the Hotcake just gives a very overdriven trebly tone even with the presence and gain dialled right back.

Is there anything else I can try?

2. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

MXR / CAE MC401 Boost/Line Driver. The cleanest volume boost around.

3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have one in my tonebone pre z, but, the Spark boost I have experimented with,
    and that adds in clean boost with no color...in center toggle position..

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I use the boost in my Radial Deluxe PZ. Works very well. Before, when I was using a Baggs Para-DI, I'd use my Boosta Grande and as long as you didn't get too overboard with it, it was nice and transparent and clean.

6. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

For A/E guitar and fiddle I use a Baggs Venue DI. It's expensive - $300 - but it's a preamp/DI/tuner/boost all in one.

7. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Meister

I use a Fishman Venue DI and love it. You have all the good stuff - EQ, DI, Lead Boost and a good tuner : all running on a 9v battery (with battery checker LED's). A truly great piece of gear for the gigging acoustic guitarist!

8. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Danelectro Fish n' Chips EQ. Cheap and easy. Set EQ sliders to flat, push the volume slider up to your target level. Works like a charm and it's cheap.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

+1

10. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

BBE Boosta Grande? Iit's cheap and super clean/transparent.

11. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

I use a Seymour Duncan pickup booster- versatile, works fine, and they're cheap.

12. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

+1

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Boss GE-7.

14. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

I have the K&K pure western mini, plus volume knob, under sound hole.
    I just keep this dialed back for rhythms and a little, 1/8 turn and the volume(boost) comes right up to where you set it pre gig.

I have it in 3 guitars..... nice and open sounding.

I am looking for a combo amp and an acoustic effects pedal chain with delay and loop.

In 2003 I had a Flextone III line 6 that I setup for some really good guitar amp acoustic tone for rhythms. I miss that 150$ amp.
    The PA I have is clear (Mackie 600 watt, 8 channels) but cumbersome to setup.

I have a 10 channel MXR EQ that is pretty cool. i would sell it for 50$. it can be setup for a boost and EQ is extremely useful depending on the acoustics of the gig. Outdoors is hard to get a good tone especially if its loud and windy.

15. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll have a look for some of these pedals and see whether they might do what I need.

16. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I want to add my thoughts: I have the Dano Fish and Chips EQ, but I am already using it in the chain. I also have a BBE Orange Squash in the chain, but it is usually on, too. The compressor keeps the whole thing tamed somewhat.

So, for a boost, I could switch the BBE compressor OFF and, if its volume is adjusted to be a little quieter than the line level, turning it off would unleash the guitar in a sense. Hope that makes sense.

17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Actually the LR Baggs Venue is competitively priced when you consider it's getting you up into the Tone Bone price range. The LR Baggs Venue has a true transformer-isolated DI function so that you can go into an onstage acoustic amp as a monitor and still go to a house PA without any ground loop issues. Five-band EQ (with sweepable/parametric low-mid and mid) and tuner functions and FX loop are also useful, but of course it's a lot to pay for just the boost function unless you're going to replace your Aura stomp box.

Have you tried an MXR Micro Amp for a simple little clean buffer/boost? I bet there's one in your effects boneyard already.

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

FakeOCaster chimed in, so I'm still confused - Fishman doesn't call any of their products the "Venue" do they?

19. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

+1 I've used this and it works perfectly on an acoustic. You can set the amount of boost you want, and choose your desired EQ. Easy, simple, cheap, and I'm selling one in the classified section (hope mentioning this is not a violation of the rules).

20. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oops

I meant LR Baggs. senior moment there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.