Boost before acoustic pre-amp / DI

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Oct 24, 2019.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I think codamedia nailed it. Your problem is too hot a signal with the boost engaged. Get your boosted signal down below the threshold where it thickens the preamp. Use your PA or powered speaker to make up for the difference in volume.

2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Not sure I understand. I have one and only one signal level before the pre-amp/DI. Guitar > tuner > chorus > delay > reverb > preamp. I've tried the boost in several locations in that chain as well as with all the other pedals turned off. It doesn't make a difference.

What codamedia said "B: Set your tone up with the boost ON.... the quieter tone will then be thinner. IME... that's what I would be after, but that doesn't mean that is what you want."

....doesn't solve the issue of having a significantly different tone with & without boost. I don't want my quieter tone to be thinner. That's what's happening now. I like the quieter tone I have (and, as I wrote above I have no issue with the boosted tone on it's own). I just want both the non-boosted and boosted tone to be pretty much the same, just at different levels.

I appreciate the mentions of some higher end preamp/DI pedals, but they are not in my budget at the moment. If I increase my gigs and $$ in 2020 I might go that way. But I don't see Santa dropping one down my chimney in December.

I haven't had a chance yet to test things with an EQ, with a DIY volume pot pedal, or with placing the boost after the DI. I'll come back and update this thread when I do.

3. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Getting more lightly played sections equal in volume to strumming is what compressors do. That’s probably their #1 use.
    I don’t think you need a “boost” pedal to push the preamp of your amp ~ that fattened/altered tone is what boost pedals are designed to do. Unless you use something like the full sized Spark Booster with the gain way back (it’s technically a light overdrive, but can be very clean).

You should try the compressor you already have. Find a level of compression that lifts those lightly played parts up without sounding obviously squishy.

If you really have the itch to buy something, try a used Danelectro Fish ‘n Chips EQ. Dirt cheap and very effective.

4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

My preamp has a big red boost button and a knob to control how much it boosts:

Fire-Eye Red-Eye

The pedal sounds better than any of the more knob- and switch-encumbered preamps I've used, and the boost is absolutely clean.

These guys talk too much, but if you fast-forward a few times, you'll get the idea:

5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Here's another approach using an EQ pedal. Set the preamp for your lead sound. Use the EQ to cut the volume and shape the tone for your rhythm sound. The HBE Detox EQ was made for this app but a GE-7 or something similar would work fine.

telel6s likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.