1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boomers - identify this band.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by wabashslim, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

This is the very first 45 I ever bought as a kid. I still have it.

Guitarist Mike Pinera was from Tampa and then spent some time in Miami covering the music circuits in both cities.

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

My school chum's dad was at that concert. The stories...

Some very confused Monkee's fans puzzled by the opening act. The dad I knew- his mind was blown.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

1. The Fest - We arrived Friday afternoon after getting through the traffic jam on I75, parked on the grounds and had a good walk to the gate. A biker club (Outlaws?) was doing "security". It could be this band was the very first to play, maybe they weren't even scheduled, just some noobs being allowed a shot. But they didn't play or look like noobs by any means.

2. Forget what I said about the Allmans. For while I even wondered if this band could have been an early version of them but none of the early Allman history I've read of matches up. The music wasn't light pop by any means, neither was it dark like Bloodrock.

3. It wasn't Procol Harem, as mentioned earlier I saw them later at the festival, they were a major act, one of the few I paid rapt attention to. There was a LOT going on around that whole area, and this little wide-eyed Hoosier boy was seriously checking everything out, including the action down at the quarry. The music was one of many distractions.

4. Yes, each of the keyboards was manned full-time. Plus guitar, bass, & one or two drummers.

5. I loved that first Cowboy album..."Only Josephine, Beyond Compare"...but this for sure wasn't them. Could have been some members though. Also maybe the Classics 4/Atlanta Rhythm Section?

6. The Aragon - Argent could have been one the opening bands, there were several, all unknown to me.

7. My friend & I agreed NOBODY could top that Savoy Brown set, and the lake effect snow was coming hard, so while Alvin was screaming "I'm Goin Home" we were screaming down the Skyway in my buddy's Torino with near-zero visibilty.

Nothing's wrong with you; you're sadly typical. I had an incredible memory before the substances and later, the mini-strokes. Now I can't even tell you if I ate today but I remember several 5-digit phone numbers from my early childhood.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    cravenmonket likes this.
  4. wabashslim

July 3-6, '70, at the racetrack in central GA.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I am aware, but the guy was asking how to read the year-first date format on that Procol Harum fan page.

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Sha Na Na ?

[​IMG]

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A lot of us older folks can remember what we ate for breakfast on our 7th birthday, but not what we had for breakfast today. Just you wait... your time is coming for this.:D

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Two keyboard bands: Procol Harum; Argent both mentioned earlier. It could also be Mott the Hoople as Ian Hunter played piano in the early days of Mott.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bloodrock was managed by Terry Knight, who made his bones managing Grand Funk Railroad.

(Also had a Michigan band called Terry Knight & The Pack years before, which is where Don Brewer and Mel Schachter of GFR came from.)

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

After Hendrix got bounced from the tour due to 'parental concerns,' The Experience's slot was filled by a young band from Philly called The Nazz - featuring Todd Rundgren.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Blues Magoos?

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I don't remember any details, but didn't Terry Knight end up stealing much if not most of Grand Funk's money?
    And I'm not surprised he managed Bloodrock once they went "national".....although I "believe" Ray and Dennis Beard managed them when they were local "hotshots".......the Beard brothers almost had Texas locked up. They booked my band in the late sixties, and we played a TON of military bases......they paid MUCH better than club gigs.

StrangerNY likes this.
  13. StrangerNY

Ah, I double checked. Knight produced the album with 'D.O.A.' Didn't manage them, but they did do a lot of tour dates with GFR.

And GFR sued Knight for 'double-dipping,' taking fees as both producer and manager and not paying the band all their money owed. Nearly killed Grand Funk, as they were enjoined from performing or recording for nearly two years while the case was litigated.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. wabashslim

Compared to what Brewer & Shafter ended up doing, Terry Knight was a saint.

15. Robert Alger

Robert Alger TDPRI Member

Mason Proffit ?

16. StrangerNY

Yeah, the intrigue never stopped with that band.

- D

17. EsquireOK

The Bloomsbury People:

https://johnkatsmc5.blogspot.com/2019/06/bloomsbury-people-bloomsbury-people.html

https://www.sceneroller.com/bands/bloomsbury-people

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=27925

One of the members has a Website. I am all but certain you'd get a response if you inquired through it.

https://www.sigmundsnopek.com/biography/

I'll bet they were one of the bands that opened for Argent, Savoy Brown, and Ten Years After on March 27, 1970 (Good Friday night – easily confused with "Easter eve" after 50 years). Everything else about them lines up with the description...and none of the other proposed bands tick every box. They played Atlanta Pop 1970. They have two keyboardists. Their name begins with a syllable that sounds like "Blues." They were from under 100 miles from Chicago. You probably wouldn't have heard of them if you hadn't seen them. They were at such a level that they would have been billed below Argent, and their appearance at the Aragon gig easily lost to history. I really believe this is your answer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  18. wabashslim

I'll give them another look. My previous searching didn't turn up any onstage pics.

19. EsquireOK

Good luck with that; it's a long shot. They're really pretty obscure by this point, as far as I can determine.

Better off contacting that guy through his Website and asking if he remembers that gig, or if the description of the keyboard rings a bell.

An article on the guy: https://www.ozy.com/good-sht/the-influential-madness-of-sigmund-snopek-iii/41657/

He sounds like someone who would have been into doing silly visual stuff with his keyboards.

Here's his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SigmundSnopek3/

Obviously REALLY into keyboards:

snopek07_fullsize_story1.jpg

images-3.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. JeffBro

JeffBro Tele-Meister

Jethro Tull with Jimi Hendrix, could have been a good show

xtelesquirex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.