1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boomers - identify this band.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by wabashslim, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

Agreed, the list is wrong. They only show 6 shows total for the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, clearly incomplete.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Bloodrock was from here in Ft Worth. They were originally a four-piece (guitar, keyboard/guitarist, drums and bass band called Crowd Plus One. Very popular in the sixties. Then at some point, Jim Rutledge, who played drums and sang most leads, stepped out front and someone else took over drums......around that time they became Bloodrock and became A LOT HEAVIER....Gotta Find A Way and D.O.A., among others. To my knowledge, they never used a second keyboard player, but who knows.
    They actually played some high school dances in Ft Worth as Bloodrock. That's where my bandmates and I first heard this song......it was a pretty heavy dance.

Dan R likes this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Well, you should always check with me first before making life decisions.

SuprHtr, Bassman8, drmordo and 2 others like this.
  4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

I saw this show and still remember it. Nov 11 1971. They didn't turn down the lights for "Yes", just let people come in with lights on.
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. wabashslim

I looked them up, in fact I looked up just about every band on the list that I didn't know and got nothing; either no info or no pictures, or just not them.

6. wabashslim

Saw them play later, maybe the same day.

7. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Cowboy /Boyer & Talton? They were very intertwined with the Allman Brothers. Maybe Chuck Leavell was with them which would have given them 2 keyboards. I have no idea about a cigarette keyboard or piano. Their first album was in 1970.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  8. television

television Tele-Meister

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Eh, I don't think I'd ever describe Argent as being similar to the Allman Bros.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. television

television Tele-Meister

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It is by far the closest thing so far to what the OP actually claimed, though. Same top two bands, same venue, and only a day off. And like I posted before, Savoy Brown was in New York on the 28th, and Ten Years After was in Ohio on the 28th, according to multiple online lists I've found.

But AFAICT, Argent didn't play Atlanta Pop 1970. This makes me think that the TYA/SB/Argent show on the 27th might have had additional bands, one of which also played the Atlanta festival. But it couldn't be Bloodrock in that case, as they played Texas on the 27th.

People keep talking about the two keyboards thing...but I didn't hear him say two keyboard players.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. loco gringo

"1. Easter Eve, 1970...Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. Headliners: Ten Years After, Savoy Brown. Several opening acts, including one group with a keyboard at each end of the stage...on the left, presumably an organ; on the right, probably an electric piano, painted up like a pack of Marlboros or Winstons. From what I can recall, kind of an Allman-ish type of music. Whatever it was, they were good enough to leave an impression.'

13. EsquireOK

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=27925

This link has album credits for the Bloomsbury People, and they have separate people listed as the organ player and the keyboard player.

They were from Wisconsin, so very close to Chicago, and might have been billed so far down that they weren't bothered to be mentioned in the TYA/SB/Argent listing for March 27, 1970.

If you look at that list of other shows on that site, you see that there are other missing bands on some of those bills, which are mentioned on other Websites. E.g. Bloodrock on May 22 – listed on several other sites, but not on that Website.

It would be quite normal (and still is) for a small regional or local band to be billed underneath touring acts...and then never mentioned in historical discussions or evidence of the event.

And "Bloomsbury" could be remembered an awful lot like "Blues" something 50 years later.

1. "Blooms" => "Blues"
    2. Two keyboard players
    3. Played the 1970 Atlanta festival
    4. From one state away from Illinois
    5. Not a popular band, so finding records of their appearance at that show might prove near impossible.

IMO, it being them seems really likely. I think we have our answer.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    tery and loco gringo like this.
  14. EsquireOK

Exactly what I said. A keyboard at each end of the stage. One can imply that they were both being played at the same time, by two different people, but the OP didn't actually state that explicitly.

loco gringo likes this.
  15. loco gringo

You are right on about that. I did take it that there were two keyboards being played at the same time by two different people. The second set of keys could have even been for one of the other bands.

tery likes this.
  16. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Not a color pic so cigarette colored keyboard would not show up. Never seen PH with weird colored keyboard before except cover to Shine On Brightly Album so unlikely...but two keyboards on each side of the stage is covered.

JeffBro and loco gringo like this.
  17. EsquireOK

Procol Harum was too popular to be fourth billed below Ten Years After, Savoy Brown, and Argent on Mar. 27, 1970. They were bigger than any of those bands, by far. And nothing in their name sounds anything like "Blues."

Plus, I found a gig they played in England on March 28.

Here is their 1970 tour history, from a fan Website.

https://procolharum.com/ph_70-tour.htm

18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I have to say I'm pretty curious to see if y'all can figure this out.

Toast and Bassman8 like this.
  19. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

So this isn't the festival we're talking about here from ph.com?

Second Atlanta International Pop Festival, Gainsville, Georgia

Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers, Mountain, Procol Harum, Ginger Baker's Air Force, Jethro Tull, Chambers Brothers and several others.

'The festival was really near the town of Byron, Georgia, not Gainesville (Gainesville is northeast of Atlanta, while Byron is south of Atlanta and Macon). I was too far away to see the band very well at the festival, but two friends from my high school told me they were very close to the stage ... close enough to surprise Gary when they stood at the end of Whaling Stories to sing the ending with him.' (John Underwood)

Is this July 4 1970 or April 7th !970?

tery likes this.
  20. EsquireOK

July 4th was the day they played the festival.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.