1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boomers - identify this band.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by wabashslim, Sep 19, 2020.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

1. Easter Eve, 1970...Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. Headliners: Ten Years After, Savoy Brown. Several opening acts, including one group with a keyboard at each end of the stage...on the left, presumably an organ; on the right, probably an electric piano, painted up like a pack of Marlboros or Winstons. From what I can recall, kind of an Allman-ish type of music. Whatever it was, they were good enough to leave an impression.

2. The following July 4th weekend...Atlanta Pop Festival, Friday afternoon, while entering the festival grounds, there's the same band onstage with their cigarette piano, playing their last song of the set. I thought I caught the word "Bluesy" (or something similar) in their announced name but couldn't be sure.

In searching the many festival websites I have yet to run across a single picture of them. No schedules or setlists I've seen come close to matching the actual sequence of groups as I remember it.

Anyone - ring a bell?

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

JeffBro and tery like this.
  3. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Following

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Easter was March 29 in 1970. According to the concert History of the Aragon Ballroom, there were NO performances in March of that year. Look this site over, maybe you've got the date wrong? ;)
    https://www.concertarchives.org/venues/aragon-ballroom--6?page=24#concert-table
    ADDED.....after further research, Ten Years After played the Aragon on June 26, 1970.(according to Ten Years After concert listings) The archives above show NO concert on June 26, 1970 at Aragon.......so what's up?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    telemnemonics and rangercaster like this.
  5. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

Just a quick guess

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

fretWalkr likes this.
  8. wabashslim

This list is wrong. I can positively state it was Saturday, March 28, 1970. This date is forged in my brain for other reasons besides the concert, although that was a great way to end the day...that was also my only visit to Chicago before or since. We actually left after Savoy Brown and skipped Ten Years After because a snowstorm was coming on and we had a goodly drive back to my host's home near Crown Point IN. Later, when we saw TYA in the Woodstock flick we were kicking ourselves.

nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I was there the music all seemed to flow together . It was dark when Hendrix came on . Jimi said something like "I'm Jimi and I'm just going to jam for awhile ... if y'all don't like the music you can leave" (something like that)
    then the crowd exploded in laughter and cheering .

10. wabashslim

Rock & Roll people have never been considered the record-keeping standard-bearers.

old soul, thunderbyrd and tery like this.
  11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

12. wabashslim

tery likes this.
  13. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

Next act is sweating bullets. Atlanta Pop 1970.

14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah - that list is just bands that were there .

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

So.....you're saying we should believe you and NOT the internet? ;)

16. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I'm stunned you can remember anything this specific after more than 50 years. I am 41 and I can't remember things which happened three or four years ago. I mean, I can remember they happened, but ask me the date? No chance. Not even the year. What's wrong with me?

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Bloodrock?

They played Atlanta Pop, and are listed as having played the Aragon with the Stooges, Bob Seger, and Mountain in May of 1970 (the same list has a big gap in early 1970, covering Easter), so they were not strangers to the venue. And they had a keyboard.

This lists them doing a gig in their home state of Texas two days before Easter, 1970: http://www.tourdatesearch.com/tourdates/artist/10/bloodrock. Further investigation reveals that it was at the Southwest Peace Festival, running the 27th through the 29th. But their first album had just come out, so I can see them playing the fest in Texas the 27th, then traveling to Chicago to play a day later.

I can see them having an impression as being slightly Allmany, and I can see remembering "Bloodrock" over the P.A. as "Blues[something]" 50 years later.

Sorry to say, but: 1) Ten Years After apparently played in Ohio on Easter eve. 2) Savoy Brown is listed as playing in New York on Easter eve. So something is off about the memory.

I think a good way to do some investigation would be looking at library microfiche of local Chicago dailies in the weeks leading up to the show. Maybe you'll see an ad for the Easter show at the Aragon.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Here's from a list of Ten Years After concerts:

upload_2020-9-19_20-39-19.png

tery and nojazzhere like this.
  19. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

The only group that was there that would have two keyboard players at each end of the stage would be Procol Harum. They don't sound Allman Broish though.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

The 'Bloomsbury People' played Atlanta Pop Fest in 1970. Maybe them?

EsquireOK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.